View Full Version : The evil Wal-Mart corporation

schweitz
09-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Wal-mart's response to Katrina so far:

$20 million in cash donations

1500 truckloads of free merchandise

food for 100,000 meals

the promise of a job for every one of it's displaced workers

"Wal-Mart has raised the ante for every company in the country," said Adam Hanft,cheif executive of Hanft Unlimited, a New York branding and marketing firm. "This is going to change the face of corporate giving."

Bobby
09-07-2005, 11:12 AM
I agree. They did better than the government according to many. Had food and water at the scene before FEMA. Thumbs up to WMT.

boxcar
09-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Wal Mart's current hero status will be short lived and soon forgotten. The Libs won't be able to bring themselves to quit hating this eeeeevil corporation.

Boxcar

chickenhead
09-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Wal Mart's current hero status will be short lived and soon forgotten. The Libs won't be able to bring themselves to quit hating this eeeeevil corporation.

Boxcar

I think it's great the contributed so much...but they are still not the kind of corp I want to do my business with.

GameTheory
09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
And percentage-wise is their contribution greater than other companies? They have a lot more to give in the first place. I'm glad they gave, but let's not pretend it is some great sacrifice...

Tor Ekman
09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
And Kobe Bryant announced that he's giving $100,000 (that's right, no typo, $100K) Big friggin' deal Kobe, that's like me giving 20 bucks. What a generous guy!

schweitz
09-07-2005, 11:44 AM
And percentage-wise is their contribution greater than other companies? They have a lot more to give in the first place. I'm glad they gave, but let's not pretend it is some great sacrifice...

I knew this post would happen, just didn't know who would post it. :rolleyes:

Who the hell is pretending it's a great sacriface?

CapperLou
09-07-2005, 11:48 AM
And Kobe Bryant announced that he's giving $100,000 (that's right, no typo, $100K) Big friggin' deal Kobe, that's like me giving 20 bucks. What a generous guy!

Well---what did you expect from a great player, but also one of the biggest A-holes the NBA has ever produced. Oh, did I forget to mention arrogant too!!

GameTheory
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I knew this post would happen, just didn't know who would post it. :rolleyes:

Who the hell is pretending it's a great sacriface?The point is they should be praised, but not more so than some other company that also gave alot (relatively). The quote says, "This raises the ante for every company in the country" as if WalMart was giving more than others, when they are not (again, relatively).

lsbets
09-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Personally I'd like to see Exxon and the other oil guys donate a few billion or so, considering that they raised gas prices in advance of any actual supply issues.

JustRalph
09-07-2005, 12:25 PM
$20 million in cash donations 1500 truckloads of free merchandise

food for 100,000 meals and the promise of a job for every one of it's displaced workers

I don't care what kind of company you are........I can't believe some people are bitching about this..........Geez .........!

boxcar
09-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I think it's great the contributed so much...but they are still not the kind of corp I want to do my business with.

I don't particularly care to shop in Wal Mart either, so I rarely do. However, this doesn't mean I "hate" the company.

Boxcar

schweitz
09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't particularly care to shop in Wal Mart either

Nor do I---but my reasons are I don't like to park a mile away and I don't like long check-out lines.

boxcar
09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Schwietz, we're on the same page. My reasons are identical to yours.

Boxcar

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Now, I am not a big fan of Wal-Mart or any of the other big business boys, but let's not downplay Wal-mart's gift too much. It is a significant gift.

If every major company in the US gave that same small percentage of gross the cost of the rescue and rehab of the people (not the property) would likely be covered.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

chickenhead
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't particularly care to shop in Wal Mart either, so I rarely do. However, this doesn't mean I "hate" the company.

Boxcar

Likewise, i wouldn't say I "hate" them...has more to do with the quality and place of manufacture of most of the products. In general I prefer smaller, local purveyors selling quality local goods.

And for all whoever you guys are that gave me negative feedback for my earlier response, GET A LIFE! I never realized my decision to not shop at WalMart and their ilk would cause such ill will... :D

Bobby
09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Here's an article on the Walmart response to KAtrina.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050906/katrina_wal_mart.html?.v=2

NoDayJob
09-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Wal Mart Employment
Land Your Dream Job. Search 900,000 Job Listings. Apply Online Now.

:D PA's getting something for the advertisement, so there! :D

NDJ

JustRalph
09-07-2005, 04:12 PM
And for all whoever you guys are that gave me negative feedback for my earlier response, GET A LIFE! I never realized my decision to not shop at WalMart and their ilk would cause such ill will... :D

Damn.......Chicken.........What kind of pull do you have......... I tried to hammer your reputation.........Holy Cow!

http://www.columbuscool.com/rep_points.jpg

chickenhead
09-07-2005, 04:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jinxed
09-07-2005, 04:45 PM
To the people in the small and very impoverished sections of New Orleans Walmart is like Sax Fifth Avenue to the rich New Yorkers. You don't see a lot of these big stores coming through for the survivors of Hurricane Katrina. Why would anyone make the statement they don't want to be involved with them. Agree, they have a lot of part-time workers not eligible for insurance, but so do many, many companies. It is corporate America today. They do, however, make food and clothing reasonable for people who can't shop in higher priced stores. I'm sure the people in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina are greatful to Walmart for their support.

I personally like the store and the fact they also have jobs for the elderly to make them feel useful in some way, if only dispensing carts. It is a little extra money in their pockets along with a SS check.

I remain :ThmbUp:

Tom
09-07-2005, 08:25 PM

Dwarfs China and Mexico all to hell.
REALLY puts the oil companies to total shame - while everyone is lining up to help, they lined up to pilage and plunder.

Tom
09-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Damn.......Chicken.........What kind of pull do you have......... I tried to hammer your reputation.........Holy Cow!

I got him for you, Ralph. :eek:

Tom
09-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Now, I am not a big fan of Wal-Mart or any of the other big business boys, but let's not downplay Wal-mart's gift too much. It is a significant gift.

If every major company in the US gave that same small percentage of gross the cost of the rescue and rehab of the people (not the property) would likely be covered.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Or, if each state would just give half of it's share of the loot from the Transporktation Bill, it would pretty much pick up the tab.:p

NoDayJob
09-07-2005, 08:40 PM

:lol: Slow that 41131454 gif down; I'm getting dizzy watching it! :lol:

NDJ

toetoe
09-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Regardless of my status, fat and sassy, rich and evil, poor and scuffling, my contribution to anybody for anything should be private, unpublicized, no big deal. If the good deed is not its own reward, getting good publicity out of it won't change the world for the better. Everybody has to make his own decision as to the best way to help. If I could, I would travel to N.O., La. and help personally, and/or host a family in my own house. Would I brag about it? GOD, I hope not.

keilan
09-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Regardless of my status, fat and sassy, rich and evil, poor and scuffling, my contribution to anybody for anything should be private, unpublicized, no big deal. If the good deed is not its own reward, getting good publicity out of it won't change the world for the better. Everybody has to make his own decision as to the best way to help. If I could, I would travel to N.O., La. and help personally, and/or host a family in my own house. Would I brag about it? GOD, I hope not.

well said -- another form of advertisement

IRISHLADSTABLE
09-07-2005, 11:41 PM
http://www.riteaid.com/company_info/press/press_show.php/item_nbr/755/cat/national

kingfin66
09-08-2005, 02:36 AM
I don't agree that it's another form of advertising. They provided help faster than the government. I think that is important to note. I'm no fan of Wal-Mart either, but there contribution is significant. They are also making contributions while facing a big earnings hit. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but they have lost many stores...

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2005, 02:48 AM
The government, be it now, or 50 years ago, has never been known as a "fast mover" in ANYTHING that it does....except for perhaps the IRS, when it says you owe them money....

dav4463
09-08-2005, 03:49 AM
Anyone ever read "The Store" by Bentley Little ? It's about a store (Walmart?) coming to a small town and taking over. It is a good horror novel, a fun read ! I still like Walmart though !

Kreed
09-08-2005, 07:39 AM
I've never been to a Wal Mart, but "it" is a brillant concept and a total
necessity for low wage earners. In that sense alone Wal Mart benefits
all of us by providing for our most poor citizens. Without WM, I think
the poverty figure would rise by ~3%.

chickenhead
09-08-2005, 10:58 AM
cheap goods made overseas=less manufacturing jobs=more poor people in America=more cheap good made overseas=even less manufacturing jobs=even more poor people...and on and on and on.

I guess we just ride it out, till we equalize wages with China, Mexico, Bangladesh. I'm not an economist, but that is how I see it. I don't blame Walmart and their like, and I don't blame the mfg corps. I blame us, the people who buy the crap.

Less qty, more quality....Less foreign, more local....Live well within your means, whatever they are...these are the keys to consumer nirvana.

boxcar
09-08-2005, 12:42 PM
The government, be it now, or 50 years ago, has never been known as a "fast mover" in ANYTHING that it does....except for perhaps the IRS, when it says you owe them money....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well said, PA!

Boxcar