PDA

View Full Version : Trillis Parker Book And Videos

topgun
09-07-2005, 04:05 AM
Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone can tell me anything about her book and video's and do you think that her work is better than Bonnie L. video. I would also like to know if anyone would like to sell a copy of either of the products.

Topgun

Macdiarmadillo
09-08-2005, 12:30 AM
IIRC, one taught the basics to the other and they went their separate ways. That said, they're pretty similar in content. Parker's approach is simplified for the casual bettor, but still good. Both videos are pretty basic but necessary. The books (Ledbetter had one, too, now out of print) have more explanation, still you really need the videos for examples. The Ledbetter video is funny for a nervous Chris McCarron having a hard time reading cue cards in the intro.

You should check out the Joe Takach stuff if you haven't already, some common things, some different than the above also. He covers more ground. There is also a fairly new book by Geoffrey Hutson, Watching Racehorses, that I haven't read (yet).

This is all introductory course material, only about a dozen basic things each that do have exceptions to them. It's still useful. For example, horses can change from paddock to post parade to warmup. I think both go through a couple of post parade inspections and pick winners -- you'll have to look at more than that, I guarantee. But sometimes that's all you get at the simo.

Also, to do this observational stuff well/usefully, you really have to learn well from these sources. Too many people I lent this stuff to think they know it all after one look at the tapes. Then they give up because "it doesn't work". That's their loss.