PDA

View Full Version : Philly Park Race 9

Tee
09-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Has anyone ever seen such an occurrence?

Nice job by the starter!!

Tom
09-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Ouch!

Job opening at Pha this week?

BillW
09-05-2005, 05:02 PM

Just recently (last few months) can't remember where though. Does Equibase maintain a terminated starter list? :lol:

Pace Cap'n
09-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Wha' happen?

BillW
09-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Wha' happen?

The gate was popped while the 9 was being led into the stall. The 9, a 9-5 (I think??) second choice was declared a non-starter.

PurplePower
09-06-2005, 10:06 AM

Saw it happen twice in New Orleans and once at LaD. Frank Gombrel is one of the quickest with the trigger I ever watched spring a latch. He was fined (I think $100 and $250 or $500) for the two incidents in New Orleans, but when he left the 12 behind the gate at LaD I seem to remember he got a $2500 fine and 30 days suspended. He's still pops them quick, but as far as I know he hasn't left one back of the gate since the big fine.

KingChas
09-07-2005, 11:52 AM
$100k race.Howard/Albarado ship from Spa.Pha Park was supposed to reply yesterday on situation?My question is are the connections for this horse compensated for track error?(insurance)?Shipped and lost out on decent possible score. :confused:

Macdiarmadillo
09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Saw this happen a couple of times, once at Bay Meadows with Afro War, a horse that a friend used to own. They loaded, then there was a delay because this horse went back to get broken equipment replaced/fixed. The horse was on his way back and was like 20-30 yards from the gate when the starter hit the button.

At Phila. Park, the assistant starter was still standing down in the stall when the gates opened. Lucky he didn't get mowed down.

PurplePower
09-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I was surprised that I didn't see more on websites or in the racing press. this was on Thoroughbred Times

http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=57295&subsec=2

PurplePower
09-07-2005, 04:47 PM
$100k race.Howard/Albarado ship from Spa.Pha Park was supposed to reply yesterday on situation?My question is are the connections for this horse compensated for track error?(insurance)?Shipped and lost out on decent possible score. :confused:

This additional on Bloodhorse article answered KinkChas question:

It was the first time that Downes had made such an error, but it cost track management plenty. It had to refund $128,973 in wagers on Private Gift, plus reimburse her owners all expenses related to the Oaks start. She shipped from Saratoga for the race for trainer Neil Howard.

"I blew it. It's my own fault," Downes told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "I just made a mistake, but it doesn't make the pain any less. There was a lot of crowd noise and I just didn't see the horse." Bloodhorse website

Pace Cap'n
09-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Well, I say give Mr. Downes a bonus and a raise. He just might be the only man in America to own up to anything in the last how many years.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-07-2005, 07:16 PM
We had one in Chicago, at AP, I think it was 2 years ago, maybe 3 tops. Nothing like a silly, simple mistake that takes less than 5 seconds to make, and cost management tens of thousands of dollars, and aggravate thousands if not tens of thousands of fans and bettors. "Oh Lord take me now!" :faint:

PurplePower
09-08-2005, 03:05 AM
Well, I say give Mr. Downes a bonus and a raise. He just might be the only man in America to own up to anything in the last how many years.
Amen!