PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar contest Monday 9/5

cnollfan
09-05-2005, 09:54 AM
http://www.dmtc.com/frame.php?c=contest&f=/racinginfo/pp/bris/050905.pdf

how cliche
09-05-2005, 01:16 PM
2 races to go and for all intensive purposes I've been eliminated sitting in 10th.

I'm going to tell a long winded story that many here won't believe, but it's true. I've been undergoing dsl problems at home. SBC shipped me defective equipment and I've had no internet access here for over 2 weeks. On Saturday I went to the library, 'capped the contest race and narrowed the win contenders down to two. The 2 & the 11. I put in the 11 and went on with my day, not checking the computer again. I called my friends and told them who I was contemplating and who I eventually went with. Later that day the 11 was scratched and I didn't know about it. Of course the 2 won and paid $31.80. That victory would've put me in 3rd with +$6120 and 3 races to go. The leader has +$7000. But alas, since I have no internet access I never had the opportunity or knowledge of the scratch to change my play.

Yesterday I couldn't see the favorite Three Valleys being defeated, but being where I was in the standings I had no choice but to try to beat him. Came within a whisker, but couldn't quite get there.

So, here is where I am now +$4530.
Here is where I should be +$6200.
Huge difference.

All of this leaves me reaching for a price instead of who I think is going to win, but at least it's a horse I love. When I was at Del Mar for the Pacific Classic, we had the opportunity to go back to Barry Abrams' barn and meet/pet some of his runners. Orbits World was without a doubt the friendliest of all his runners I petted/hugged. He is my final hope to be in contention going into the last day. Call it a hunch.

Orbits World to win.

toetoe
09-05-2005, 03:20 PM
I believe it.

7, Tedo, presuming he can stay close early, can win. The track is like my back lawn --- hard as a rock. I think that's why Three Valleys was able to hold on the length of the stretch, and why that no-hoper finished third. Almost impossible to close on that 'turf.' Tedo to win.

how cliche
09-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks Toetoe. To verify my alibi for "passing" Saturday's winner...from www.upinclass.com (http://www.upinclass.com) btw, Reviewer is bweis in the contest, very close to my position in the standings.Reviewer
(Login FairlyCertain (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Profile/FairlyCertain))
UpInClass MemberRe: Del Mar Contest September 5September 5 2005, 3:33 PM
I can vouch for Pete's story. I talked with him that day and he mentioned to me that he liked 2 horses for that race, the #2 and the #11. I am not sure at what point the #11 was scratched as he was not an early scratch that morning (it may have been about the time of the post parade). When I did turn on my computer with about 8 minutes to post I saw that the #11 was scratched and assumed Pete was on the #2. Right after the #2 won at 14-1 I called to congratulate him on his pick and figured he had moved up to 2nd or 3rd. That's when I found out he did not know the #11 had scratched and he had not changed his selection.

It just wasn't meant to be...

toetoe
09-06-2005, 07:06 PM
5/2 fave won the race, withstanding an objection by trainer Doug O'Neill. TAKE HIM DOWN. Stewards have ruled ... no change. D'OH!