PDA

View Full Version : Roberts Nominated for Chief Justice

Tor Ekman
09-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Just announced. Bush met with Roberts at 7:15am today and then Bush notified Arlen Specter that he was withdrawing Roberts as nominee to replace O'Connor and nominating him to replace Rehnquist as Chief. O'Connor's resignation was written to be effective upon confirmation of her replacement, so it is presumed she will take her seat on the bench in the new term if her replacement has not yet been confirmed.

lsbets
09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
I wonder if the same people who expressed concern over Roberts nomination because they said Bush should appoint a moderate to replace O'Connor and maintain the current balance on the court will now be thrilled with his nomination as Chief since he is a conservative replacing Renquist and will maintain the current balance on the court. Doubt it.

JustRalph
09-05-2005, 01:50 PM
This floored me when I read it. I don't understand this one bit. It appears to me that he is just trying to kill two birds with one stone. There has got to be a better reason. I am going to have to think on this for a while.........:bang:

lsbets
09-05-2005, 01:56 PM
I remember hearing speculation when Roberts was nominated that he would be the choice for CJ. I guess he was.

Tor Ekman
09-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Do the math. Scalia will be 70 years old next March; Roberts is 50 years young - he can serve as Chief Justice for upwards of 30 years. I'm thinking that Bush is 100% certain of Roberts' bona fides as a strict contructionalist and that he's not walking into the error that his dad made with Souter.

JustRalph
09-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Do the math. Scalia will be 70 years old next March; Roberts is 50 years young - he can serve as Chief Justice for upwards of 30 years. I'm thinking that Bush is 100% certain of Roberts' bona fides as a strict contructionalist and that he's not walking into the error that his dad made with Souter.

Great points..........

boxcar
09-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Tor, you make some good points. But wouldn't it have been better to keep fence straddler O'Connor off the bench altogether? Rather than have her back on the bench until Bush can nominate someone else and the Sentate confirm that nomination?

Scalia would have made a great CJ. Here are some things he said just today at a law school:

Speaking before a packed auditorium, Scalia said he was saddened to see the U.S. Supreme Court deciding moral issues not addressed in the Constitution, such as abortion, assisted suicide, gay rights and the death penalty. He said such questions should be settled by Congress or state legislatures beholden to the people.

"I am questioning the propriety indeed, the sanity of having a value-laden decision such as this made for the entire society … by unelected judges," Scalia said.

"Surely it is obvious that nothing I learned during my courses at Harvard Law School or in my practice of law qualifies me to decide whether there ought to be, and therefore is, a fundamental right to abortion or assisted suicide," he said.

Scalia also railed against the principle of the "living Constitution," saying it has led the U.S. Senate to try to appoint so-called politically "moderate' judges instead of focusing on professional credentials and ability.

"Now the Senate is looking for moderate judges, mainstream judges. What in the world is a moderate interpretation of a constitutional text? Halfway between what it says and what we'd like it to say?" he said, to laughter and applause.

http://www2.presstelegram.com/news/ci_2984562

Boxcar

Tor Ekman
09-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Bush will put up the nominee to replace O'Connor within 2 weeks (a deft move will be nominating that conservative woman Federal judge who is from Louisiana) meaning that the confirmation hearing for that nominee will begin by the end early to mid October, meaning that the Court will not hear any major cases while the confirmatiion process is on-going knowing that O'Connor will soon be leaving the bench. Keep in mind that it will be Roberts, once confirned as Chief Justice, who will control the court docket.

Secretariat
09-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Excellent Fair and Balanced article on Roberts in USA Today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050906/cm_usatoday/howwouldrobertsaschiefjusticeaffectyou

lsbets
09-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Seemed more like an editorial piece than an article. But, I'm not surprised you don't know the difference.

Secretariat
09-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Is, you're getting more like Boxcar every day.

lsbets
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Sec, this is where your extreme partisanship blinds you to what other say. I made no judgement vis-a-vis the conclusions in the piece. I pointed out that it seemed more like an editorial than an article. It had way too many subjective conclusions to be a well written piece of journalism and is something that belongs on the editorial page. Notice, I still have not said whether I agree with any of the judgements or not, but I am pointing out that your idea of a fair and balanced article is an editorial.

Secretariat
09-06-2005, 06:59 PM
It is a fair and balanced article. It doesn't impugn Roberts just looks at his precedent. It doesn't say those decisions were bad or good, just which way he tilts by his preceding actions. For some posters on this board, they would solidly agree with those decisions.

Tom
09-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Frankly, I don't care if it is lib or a conservative....judge sof honor and integrity hang thier politcal hats up when they take the bench.

I want a guy or gal who will be honest, truthful, and know their place - in the judicial branch, not the legislative branch.

If a judge is political, he or she has no honor, no integrity,and no amount of education matters. An honest judge must be able to rule against his or her personal beliefs, and do so wiihout hesitation.

We will learn far more about the senators who pose the upcoming ridiculous question than we will about the candidates.

I cannot wait to hear what Kennedy asks...should be knee slapping material.

ljb
09-07-2005, 02:46 PM
I say get it done. Don't be wasting time on this matter, get him appointed and be done with it. NOW has some concerns that he will set back womens rights, I say, so freaking what! The American public has voted and this is what they want. We have larger problems in this country then this.

JustRalph
09-07-2005, 04:15 PM
I say get it done. Don't be wasting time on this matter, get him appointed and be done with it. NOW has some concerns that he will set back womens rights, I say, so freaking what! The American public has voted and this is what they want. We have larger problems in this country then this.

Somebody is logging into LJB's computer.........and stealing his i.d.

Kill the account!!! :D:D:D

Good Post!

Tom
09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
:faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: