PDA

View Full Version : more storms coming

BetHorses!
09-04-2005, 02:22 AM
Although Maria will become a Hurricane later today (Sunday), it should not be a threat to land. It is the earliest formation of the 13th storm since 1851. This fact and the NOAA's raising of the 2005 Atlantic Hurricane outlook is not good news. The tropics seem to be getting very active right now and I think the "N" storm (Nate) or the "O" storm (Ophelia) which have yet to develop will be the next major Hurricane to threaten the U.S. very soon, unfortunately.

doophus
09-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Bet, keep those suckers in mid-Atlantic, plee--ee--ee--zz.

so.cal.fan
09-04-2005, 05:33 PM
doophus?

How did Baton Rouge hold up during the storm?
I haven't heard on TV?
Are you getting many refugees from New Orleans?

doophus
09-04-2005, 08:35 PM
doophus?

How did Baton Rouge hold up during the storm?
I haven't heard on TV?
Are you getting many refugees from New Orleans?The last minute 30mile jog to the east certainly helped us tremendously. We have tree damage, long lines at the gas pump, constant stream of vehicles to everywhere, long lines at the gas pump, city doubled in population in one week, 100,000 more cars on the streets (exclude interstate system) than one week ago, long lines at the gas pump!

All public auditoriums, coliseums, and LSU facilities are filled to overflowing with refugees or relief workers. Baton Rouge has become the central staging area for FEMA, Red Cross, Salvation Army, Corps of Engineers, police sent from other states/locales, etc. As mentioned in another thread, we're hoping Baton Rouge doesn't become NO north, but that's very likely.

LSU has at least (5) field hospitals set up with the CCU at PMac (Maravich Assembly Center). Local volunteer medical personnel are working heroically, but we're beginning to hear some fussing and sniping.

BTW, did I mention long lines at the gasoline pumps? Price remains in the 2.50 to 2.69 range, but we expect much higher prices before weeks end.

Tomorrow morning at 6:00a CDT, residents of Jefferson Parish will be allowed back for an assessment visit. Traffic is already lining up and that traffic will overflow the facilities in short order. Don't plan on any trips to the NO area tomorrow; it could be next week before you get out of the traffic jam. :)

All in all, things seem to be progressing a bit better day by day.

Tom
09-04-2005, 09:23 PM
doophus, you have an great attitude....hang in there, buddy. :ThmbUp:

so.cal.fan
09-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Gas here in Sierra Madre, Calif. is $2.91 a gal. That's Arco....the cheapest.
It is running even higher in San Diego County, from what I hear.
We have no gas lines.

Tom
09-04-2005, 11:19 PM
$3.49 here. Fed Ex me a couple gallons, will ya?:D

toetoe
09-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Over $3.00 in the San Joaquin Valley.

BetHorses!
09-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Bet, keep those suckers in mid-Atlantic, plee--ee--ee--zz.

Sorry Doophus but I must warn you about a disturbance off the SE coast of Florida. This might develop into another Hurricane which could make its way to the Gulf. Way to far out to predict but we need to keep a close eye on it.

I understand that some computer models are projecting this to become a hurricane in the Northern Gulf later this week.

Also way out off the coast of Africa there is a very impressive wave that needs to be monitored.

Economy stability will be threatened if another major storm hits the U.S.

lsbets
09-05-2005, 11:14 PM
hey Bet, where do you get this stuff? SOunds like you know of a pretty cool weather site.

BetHorses!
09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
hey Bet, where do you get this stuff? SOunds like you know of a pretty cool weather site.

Actually, I have been fascinated with storms since I was a kid and I chart them as a hobby. Funny thing is my stuff is not nearly as sophisticated as what the pro's use but my forecasts as far as intensity and strike probability is not too far off from them. Its funny because they use so many different computer models then take a consensus and input so many different factors including stuff I have never heard about and I just use some basic elements including water temp and I like to look at sat images of convection and with some luck I come very close to what the experts predict. Sort of like horse racing as far as factors are concerned :)

As far as sites:

accuweather.com Joe Bastardi is very good

noaa.com In case you did not about this site

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/SteveGregory/show.html one of many weather blogs

lsbets
09-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Joe Bastardi was on FOx news every day in the days leading up to this storm, and he called it several days out. He was urging people to get out of its way.

BetHorses!
09-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Everyone should pay attention to Ophelia the next few days. Its been standing still for the last 3 hrs that I have been watching. Nobody knows where its going since all the models show different directions and until it moves again nobody has a handle on it. I think it will become a Hurricane sometime tomorrow and then eventually strengthen to a CAT 2 before landfall somewhere along the SE coast. If it tracks West it will move across Florida and into the Gulf which is no good.

Also many other waves out there and the next system named will be the "P" storm (Philippe) and peak season is just starting...unreal

BetHorses!
09-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Still lurking out there. I'll stand by my CAT 2 prediction and all who live from South Carolina to New England should monitor the developments.