PDA

View Full Version : Chief Justice Reinquist Passed Away

Steve 'StatMan'
09-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Just reported on the nightly news, Chief Justice Reinquist has passed away at his home among members of his family. :(

lsbets
09-03-2005, 11:25 PM
First thought - sincere condolences to his family, and a heartfelt thank you for the job he did for this country.

Second though - the partisan shit is really going to hit the fan now.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Yes and Yes.

The tough times for the nation and our emotions just keep getting tougher. While we knew it was expected to happen sometiime, the timing is tough.

JustRalph
09-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Second though - the partisan shit is really going to hit the fan now.

it will make it easier for Roberts though..............I think...............

If Bush has any balls he will name Scalia Chief.................I doubt it though

boxcar
09-04-2005, 12:13 AM

If Bush has any balls he will name Scalia Chief.................I doubt it though

Why do you say this, JR? Would Scalia's promotion have to approved by the Senate?

Boxcar

Dave Schwartz
09-04-2005, 01:49 AM
A man of honor and integrity is gone. He will be missed.

Dave Schwartz

Tor Ekman
09-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Why do you say this, JR? Would Scalia's promotion have to approved by the Senate?

Boxcar

Yes - The elevation of a sitting justice to chief justice must be confirmed by the senate. This was the case in 1986 when Rhenquist was nominated as a sitting justice to replace Burger as chief justice.

doophus
09-04-2005, 11:59 AM

If Bush has any balls he will name Scalia Chief.................I doubt it thoughDue to the age differential I'm hoping Bush will nominate Thomas as Chief. Very unlikely, but I like the possibility of a conservative being CJ for many years.

Tom
09-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Thomas would be a good political choice....the libs will be forced to oppose a black man taking the highest court seat in the land! LOL!

(PS...IF he does get the nod, DO NOT toast to his suscces with a Coke@!):jump:

lsbets
09-04-2005, 12:06 PM
I think it would be fun to see Thomas nomnated to watch the liberal groups squirm.

Remember the guy during the telethon on Friday "George Bush doesn't like black people."

Hmm - Colin Powell, Sec of State
Condy Rice - NSA, and Sec of State

Add Thomas into the mix and it would make it entertaining as hell.

boxcar
09-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Yes - The elevation of a sitting justice to chief justice must be confirmed by the senate. This was the case in 1986 when Rhenquist was nominated as a sitting justice to replace Burger as chief justice.

Thanks, TE, for the reply. I wasn't aware of this. I'm going to have to look this up in the Constitution.

Boxcar

Tom
09-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I think it would be fun to see Thomas nomnated to watch the liberal groups squirm.

Remember the guy during the telethon on Friday "George Bush doesn't like black people."

Hmm - Colin Powell, Sec of State
Condy Rice - NSA, and Sec of State

Add Thomas into the mix and it would make it entertaining as hell.

Let's be fair, now.....hmmmm. what was Clinton's MAID's name again? :D

toetoe
09-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Was he still sitting, or had he retired?

Tom
09-04-2005, 03:44 PM
He refused to step down.

He was sitting, albiet part time.

No offense to him, but we gotta limit the term of these judges. At some point, they no longer serve.

Secretariat
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
A man of honor and integrity is gone. He will be missed.

Dave Schwartz

Not by Alan Dershowitz. Interesting perspective.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20050905/cm_huffpost/006844

lsbets
09-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow Sec, you're all class. I ever tell you what a great guy I think you are? :bang: