PDA

View Full Version : Racial groups and handicapping

kenwoodallpromos
09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Do certain racial or nationality groups generally handicap different than others? Are there pool of certain tracks that may be influenced by certain types of handicapping? I have not been around racing long enough to do more than make wild assumptions but nothing to base a bet on.
Maybe even predicting the size of certain pools without regard to particular factors may be of help.

PaceAdvantage
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Is this a joke?

GameTheory
09-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Taking your question seriously, first of all let's put aside "race" (because race doesn't make anybody do or not do anything) and focus on "culture" (which does have an effect on outlook and behavior).

I doubt you'll find much difference between tracks in the U.S. that you can pin on cultural differences, for a couple of reasons.

1) There are no big cultural differences in the U.S. that are going to cause such a thing. The possible exception is a difference between generations -- I've often heard that retirees betting in Florida bet differently than in other places.

2) If #1 was ever true, it wasn't THAT big a factor, and is now totally overwhelmed by the simulcast money coming in from all over the country, making things much more homogenous. So I don't think "local" money is very important anymore because it is now a small fraction of the total pool.

You might be able to find cultural differences if you actually compare the betting in different cultures, e.g. the U.S. vs Japan. The Westerners who went to Hong Kong that made up the first sophisticated computerized betting teams (and were wildly successful) attributed much of their success to the fact that the Hong Kong locals (according to them) looked down upon "scientific" methods and bet based on numerology, etc...

Macdiarmadillo
09-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Why, are you going to change ethnic groups to improve your handicapping? :lol:

The Hong Kong thing I see as the (huge) pools having more unsophisticated/ casual money in it, just the thing we supposedly studious students of the game want. Most all the American number/ color/ dream/ newspaper tout players ditched racing long ago for the Lotto. There still are meets like that with a chunk of unsophisticated/ casual money in the pools, but they seem to be the ones that people on this board said they don't play well, so . . .

mauvais
09-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Not much in the way of dumb money in the HK pools!

KingChas
09-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Do certain racial or nationality groups generally handicap different than others? .

Fishorsechess is that you? :D

Handicap Same, But we dun bet with food stamps. :eek:

Macdiarmadillo
09-03-2005, 02:49 AM
mauvais is a better bettor than I. I found HK racing to be very tough to figure. There were/are Forms produced for N. Am. consumption, bilingual, but with abreviated compared with DRF. It helped to be able to suss out the Chinese part which gave, for example, separate Sha Tin and Happy Valley records.

I thought Aussie metropolitan racing was more figurable, again with a Form that was/is available with somewhat less info than DRF. The problem I found there was getting any kind of overlay over M/L Australian odds. Overlays would exist but it would be rare that they would win, in my experience. American pools are probably still separate and it was nice (i.e. profitable) to be able to compare both.

If cj would like to take on side projects, here are two! ;)

kenwoodallpromos
09-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Ok, thanks for answering. I will not look to alter my capping.