PDA

View Full Version : Olmsted's Trainers Guide 2002

The Gambler08
05-30-2002, 01:49 PM
Is this guide worth the $60bucks? Can't this information be found in other handicapping information?

GameTheory
05-30-2002, 02:50 PM
I had one of these about 4 years ago. Unless they've made it more comprehensive, I would say it is NOT worth it. The stats are 1-factor superficial stats, not real trainer angles per se. Actually, I don't even think they are stats, just lists of factors where the trainer met some criteria laid out at the beginning of the guide. In other words, it will say:

Bob Baffert:

1st after layoff
1st after clm

or something like that, and that's it....

delayjf
06-05-2002, 01:07 PM
I agree with the first poster that they are general in nature, However, I've used them and have had great success with them.
One example comes to mind, one that I missed. At Santa Anita, a horse called Nanogram (I think) trained by Sadler was entered into a MDN turf sprint for his 1st time on turf. He was also coming back within seven days of his first race off a layoff. It was not until he won and paid 140.00 that I noticed that the Omstead trainer guide listed him as a bold "First Turf" trainer.
I've had more success with Olmsteads trainer guide than with the Bris stats. Sometimes the trainer pattern can be lost in the win percentage. By that I mean a trainer might only win with layoffs at 15%, which on the surface is not to impressive, and as a result the crowd might dismiss the horse because of the low win percentage. But I found that simply knowing the trainer is capable of a specific manuever is cause for further investigation, which often revealed a good wager at odds. It worked for me.

so.cal.fan
06-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Years ago, before Bris went online, they published trainer stat books.
I had tremendous luck with their trainer stats on F&M races.
Trainers had HUGE and I mean HUGE differences in their success with female horses compared to male horses.
Not all trainers, but I would say, at least half of them!
Now before you guys ask for my proof. Don't have it.
Just going from memory and observation.
Example: I play horses in So. Calif.
A guy by the name of Eric Kruljac shipped in a filly from Arizona.
I looked him up in my Bris Trainer Stat book and he had like a
40% win rate with Filly and Mares! This was not off a small sampling either. His filly won at Santa Anita and paid big.
Another trainer in So. Cal. won with a large percent of colts and geldings, but was a very LOW percent trainer with female starters.
I know these stats can change. Guys train for barns that buy/or breed good fillies. Certain sires produce good fillies. Yada, Yada, Yada,
But, I saw enough evidence for me, this was a useful tool
Does Bris still provide this?
Does it still work?
When they stopped printing the books, I didn't have a computer.
I STOPPED betting Filly and Mares, haven't bet them since.
Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

;)

takeout
06-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
But, I saw enough evidence for me, this was a useful tool
Does Bris still provide this?

Only for NY, I believe. The last I was told was that there was not enough demand for them.

I had one for the MD circuit years ago. Came across a bold type stat in it for Ronald Alfano that later produced several longshots including one at a 100-1. I think Olmsted later used that one in his newsletter for advertising purposes to sell his own stuff.

I wish they still sold them. I think it was an excellent starting point and the bold type helped to get to the meat of the matter. I used to see examples of trainer stats that had many useful categories in them as well as all the mundane type stuff but they seem to have all dried up.

The Gambler08
06-05-2002, 05:34 PM
Bris provides some trainer stats for trainers in their ultimate pp's. for example, Lukas, First on the turf 25%. something along those lines. The categories are relevant to the race scenario for each individual horse. 90 days away, trainer larry jones 14%.

Hope that helps.

Is the Olmsted Book worth it?

so.cal.fan
06-05-2002, 05:38 PM
Damn it! I wish we could get that Bris information in So. Cal.
You guys in NY should check it out, if it's the same product....
worth it and then some.

The Gambler08
06-05-2002, 06:36 PM
You can buy it online for each track you want, on the day it runs.

Can be very helpful in narrowing down a winner.

Tom
06-05-2002, 08:25 PM
You can get trainer data from BRIS BB that is not available on the web. Get onto the BB and go to the trainer section. There is a wealth of useful data there.

GameTheory
06-05-2002, 09:48 PM
BRIS BB?

Please elaborate...

so.cal.fan
06-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Tom:
I'll check it out.

Tom
06-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
BRIS BB?

Please elaborate...

BRIS BB is still active - and they have more track/trainer stuff than the webpage does.
Modem access at 800-354-9084 or 800-354-9353
This was the original BRIS home before the website.

delayjf
06-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Tom,
Can it be accessed through the brisnet website???

highnote
06-09-2002, 01:24 AM
The BRIS Bulletin Board can only be accessed by dial-up modem. Maybe there's a way to use the internet to make the call to the BB modem, but I don't know how.

JimG
06-09-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Tom

BRIS BB is still active - and they have more track/trainer stuff than the webpage does.
Modem access at 800-354-9084 or 800-354-9353
This was the original BRIS home before the website.

And, if one searched the old notes on this bulleting board, I bet they would find some notes written by Bulldog....right Tom? I used to enjoy reading the notes from Bulldog and Tomcat

Jim

andicap
06-09-2002, 10:28 AM
I liked them somewhat. When I had a horse I liked, having a positive mention in Olmstead reinforced my bet and it often paid off.

That said, if you really want to know what trainer tendencies are you have to do the kind of elaborate research and filters that SMF uses rather than the one-dimensional stats in Olmstead, BRIS and the DRF. They are a helpful guideline, but that's it. Also, since trainers are rather streaky there's no telling if that particular factor is working at the moment.
Look at the BRIS books and you'll see positive ROIs in one year that turn decidedly negative the next.

Tom
06-09-2002, 11:37 AM
That would be me.
There were some good posters back then. Lots of talk about
A-odds when it came out free on BRIS. Too bad we had to wait days to see answers to postings, though.

delayjf
06-18-2002, 10:41 AM
Andicap,
What is SMF??

smf
06-18-2002, 11:24 AM
delay,

smf= trainer handicapper.

GR1@HTR
06-18-2002, 11:38 AM
SMF=Smart Mudder Fudder

delayjf
06-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Andicap / SMF
Can you elaborate on this "trainer handicapper"
Sounds interesting.

Rick
06-19-2002, 04:02 PM
Tom,

Can any BRIS member access the BRIS BB or do you need a different kind of subscription? I know DRF handicappers have this access but thought it wasn't available to the rest of us at a reasonable cost.

GameTheory
06-19-2002, 04:29 PM
SMF is a person. (see post a few up)

He handicaps based on trainer patterns, with a special emphasis on recent claims (I think). He makes his living this way (I think). Correct?

smf
06-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
SMF is a person. (see post a few up)

He handicaps based on trainer patterns, with a special emphasis on recent claims (I think). He makes his living this way (I think). Correct?

GT,

As usual, correct on all counts.

Tom
06-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Rick
Tom,

Can any BRIS member access the BRIS BB or do you need a different kind of subscription? I know DRF handicappers have this access but thought it wasn't available to the rest of us at a reasonable cost.

You need to register a diffferent password. Then you can enter either, and buy from either source. Some of the stats are charged by online time, so it is a lot longer on the BBS, but same billing is issued monthly. At least it was as recently as this spring.

Dave Schwartz
06-19-2002, 09:30 PM
You know, I never thought of that... We can't access the BRIS BBS anymore before we don't have a modem! How funny.

Dave