PDA

View Full Version : Seven Reasons - Older Males Long To Short

nobeyerspls
09-01-2005, 08:09 AM
This is the last of the gender-specific angles. I learned it from a retired teacher several years ago (good to know that even old dogs can learn a new trick) who played Tampa Bay more often than the higher profile tracks. He looked for horses coming off of route races into sprints, most often seven furlongs. His plays were restricted to males and the lower the claiming price the better. The horse had to show some ability sprinting in the past and the route race had to be recent (within two weeks).
This is a form of "legging up" that works well for the boys. It does not make them run faster, it helps them run fast longer. Most of the good scores come from open claiming races but I have used it with success in restricted races, including maidens.

"May you dance with the Seven Sweet Sisters of Success, may they warmly embrace you, may all knowledge be thine in the fullness of time."

kev
09-01-2005, 06:58 PM
This is a little different than what your talking about, the guy from HTR put this out..........no wet tracks, no races restricted for 2 and 3yo's, no field size less than 7, no horses that have been of off for 120 days or more and eliminate any race in which more than 2 horses are making the switch from turf to dirt...........28,504 horses were found in a 1yr date, they won 14.2% and a ROI of 0.85. Horse than were lay-off for more than 120 days won only 10.2% ROI 0.69 turf to dirt out of 1,194 horses.

Achilles
09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
In the book "Handicapping Trainers" (can't remember the author's name) it was one of his favorite angles which he coded Rt7 (Route to 7 furlongs). He particularly liked it when the route was on the turf and the 7 f was on dirt. He wanted the horse to show early speed and keep it going at least to the second call (probably farther, can't recall for sure). The idea was that it is harder to sustain early speed on the green, so the "legging up" effect would be even more pronounced. He did not advise it as an angle for 6 f races, usually 6.5 or 7f.

BIG RED
09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
I use this play myself when I see a slight drop in class. What I mean if you see an allowance horse with this feature drop into the claiming ranks, his odds will normally reflect that (short), but when I see an open allowance go to a st. bred allowance, I get a better price. Same with cheap claimers. Like 50002x into 50001x etc. They can be found, and if the price is right, I'm there. Maybe it just shows cappers are being to lazy to notice?

GL

SmartArt
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
He particularly liked it when the route was on the turf and the 7 f was on dirt. He wanted the horse to show early speed and keep it going at least to the second call

Check out Mass Media in the Forgo.

http://www.brisnet.com/bris_link/pdfs/Darley_33236.pdf

Tom
09-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Mass Media......Tell me you HAD it! :ThmbUp:

SmartArt
09-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Tell me you HAD it!

Would have been nice, but I don't play Saratoga. Hope you cashed, though.

SmartArt
09-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I though Forest Danger would win.