PDA

View Full Version : Late equipment change

karlskorner
08-30-2005, 05:41 PM
This happens everywhere, not only at Saratoga.

From the Daily News 8/30

Chalk up another winner to the late blinker change angle.

Yesterday, it was announced that Fast Deal would race with blinkers for the first time for the fourth race. Sure enough Fast Deal showed improved speed and led the field wire to wire, returning $8.50, The rule on the books says all equipment changes must be made at the time of entry, which was last Friday. The stewards said they weren't notified until yesterday at 7 a.m.
According to the rules, it's up to the stewards discretion to punish or fine a trainer for the late notification, but no action was taken, The stewards said most of the late blinker notification at this meet were not the fault of the trainers, but because of failure of the entry clerk , who FORGOT to mark down the change at the time of the entry. With thousands of dollars wagered on every horse in every race there has to be more diligence to make sure these changes aren't forgotten and are announced on the overnight. The entry clerk must ask, for every horse entered, about Lasix, blinkers, and any other type of equipment. It is essential help protect the integrity of this game.

So far at the meet there have been nine blinker changes annoounced the day of the race, FOUR won, two seconds and two thrids. I doubt trainers are intentionally trying to fool the public, but with a strong 4-for-9 record something has to be done to make sure these changes are marked correctly at the time of entry. Otherwise, why have a rule at all ? END

At CRC, 2/3 maybe 4 times a week this happens, If you don't check the Racing Sec.'s office, the scratch board or miss the announcement your out of luck. I wonder how simulcasting people are getting this information.

turfbar
08-30-2005, 08:18 PM
hmmmmmmmmm " all equipment changes must be made by entry
time"""..................and those are the rules very strange so they possibly
couldn't mean tongue strap changes too , Do u think?

kenwoodallpromos
08-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Selecvtive enforcement means I assume the tracks are helping trainers cheat unless tracks prove otherwise by consistent enforcement. Otherwise the NYRA is probably violating state law by allowing breaking of rules. And they admit this time it was the trainer's fault so they are allowiing violations as a favor to the trainer.

stablehand
08-30-2005, 10:23 PM
saw the blinkers on at the NYRA website that morning and my heart sank.........already had this one on my watch list and knew this would only bring in some dumb money.......sure enuff got bet down and the exacta wasn't worth a play either........they all look like overlays when they win like that, but i had to pass.......