PDA

View Full Version : My Darling New Orleans

Blackgold
08-30-2005, 04:12 PM
We'll folks, I'm in Shreveport, LA- close to LA Downs, 'cause my home is underwater along with the entire region known as New Orleans.

My name is Blackgold. A name I took from a runner that won the Derby in the '20's and is buried at my hometown track, the Fairgrounds, which is now under water.

I got out with enough personal belongings to continue to operate from remote locations, for what could be months.

Wish me luck!

Steve 'StatMan'
08-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Glad you made it out safe Blackgold, and I'm so sad about the horrible damage to so much of N.O. and the surrounding areas in Missisippi and Alabama. Sorry to hear the FG took on water too. Good Luck, all of you sure deserve it.

Bobby
08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Yea, its a shame. No school for 2 months. No electricty for at least a month. Chemicals in the water too. Disease could be rampant with the contamination and mosquitoes. I Feel bad for you.

I really don't think the govt knows what to do either. I mean there rescuing people from rooftops but I guess there's not much they can do about a levee break now. Just rebuild it and let everything dry out.
\

Hey BG so are you staying with family or just shacking up in a hotel?

Wiley
08-30-2005, 04:32 PM
So sorry to see. Hang in there Blackgold. The devastation is unreal. I lived in New Orleans years ago. Hope they can get the levee's closed so they can pump the water out but reports are the water is still rising in the city. A sad day.

lsbets
08-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Best of luck BG. New Orleans is a great city with great people, let's hope for the best in the days ahead.

Steve 'StatMan'
08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Theres a link on the Equibase website with video from New Orleans. One clip show the damage at the Fair Grounds. I just watched at 21 minute clip with the Mayor of New Orleans updating the TV crew on the status of the city - SO much damage all over.

http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=www.wwltv.com/082905fairgrounds.wmv

kenwoodallpromos
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Just like everyone else, I assume there sould not be the massive and widspread damage that occured. No one outlasts nature but we all do what we have to then do what we can when this happens, like when we have fire or quakes here in Ca. Good luck.

JackS
08-30-2005, 05:28 PM
BG- Sorry for what you went through and are going to have to go through in the comming days and weeks.
I survived Ivan but of course, much less damage than you guys are suffering.
As far as damage control goes, I think you may be pleasently surprised to see how quickly things can improve in your area and other areas affected.
FEMA, Red Cross and many other charitable organizations will respond and city , county and state governments will be there with aid. Many things that seem impossible right now, will become realities almost immediatly and in the days, weeks and months ahead.
Disasters like this have always occured from time to time in the US but cities have never dissapeared. They have been rebuilt and today exist better than ever. This same scenerio will play out for Shreveport, N.O and every other major city affected inland and on the Gulf Coast.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Secretariat
08-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Blackgold,

Glad you got out safe. Hope the Fairgrounds horses did as well.

Lefty
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Blackgold, glad you are safe. I can't blve the pictures i'm seeing of the area.

ljb
08-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Blackgold,
Also glad to here you got out safe. Just finished watching some tv coverage of what's going on down there. Very sad situation. Hang in there, Americans are survivors.

JustRalph
08-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Never fear........when they get all of those cheap federal loans........the "New" New Orleans will look like Vegas when they are done.

Remember, this city has been named both the most corrupt and the best place to party.........that cheap money is going to allow them to rebuild one hell of a nice place.............I look forward to the rebuild

Secretariat
08-30-2005, 08:27 PM
I have a question. How does the water drain in New Orleans? Being below sea level, doesn't the water have to be pumped out. If it is pumped out where is it put?

In other words, how will they be able to drain it, and where will it go, and how long will something like that take?

I heard today water was undrinkable, and looting is breaking out and there is no electricity.

lsbets
08-30-2005, 08:39 PM
The water is pumped from the storm system into the lake. Since the levees broke on the lake, the water is ouring back into the city, and the pumps have been submerged. Now they've failed, so the water is also rising up out of the storm system.

LSU did a study that said if NO had a direct hit from a Cat 4 it would take months to pump out all the water. I assume they have to bring in pumps, but I'm not sure how that works. I would imagine they need to repair the levees first.

Mississippi got hit even worse. Parts of the state are just flattenned.

BetHorses!
08-30-2005, 09:35 PM
If they don't fix the leak the City will fill up with water until the level is even with Lake Ponch. Pretty serious and scary.

I don't understand why the Governor of Louisiana is spending 1 hour in a comfortable setting on Larry King when reports of Violence and prison Riots are rampant and people are suffering and starving. Think she should be out there helping instead of talking

Tom
08-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Glad you got out, Black Gold. Stay strong.
Need to remeber our good friend Hurrikane as well, who is in the thick of things.
Hope you are well, Greg.
Terrible day for the Gulf coast.

so.cal.fan
08-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Blackgold.....all you folks are in my prayers, the shocking images we are seeing from La. Miss. and Alabama are just heartbreaking!
This is a terrible thing to watch on TV let alone live through it like you are doing!
I can't even image the pain you people are going through.
It brings back memories of 9/11, with people looking for their missing loved ones. So sad. :(

kingfin66
08-31-2005, 02:15 AM
I'm glad you got out safely. If you need a place to stay, truck on up here to Washington and play some races, stay in my home if you need. Seriously.

highnote
08-31-2005, 02:52 AM
I wish you well, racing friend.

If there is anything you need, just post it here or PM me. I'll do what I can.