PDA

View Full Version : Quater Horses

cakes
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
I was in Az. on vacation and while there went to Ruidoso Dwns and watched some thoroughbred and quater horse racing. The people say that Quater Horse racing is dying because most of the States that were always Quater Horse States are now consentrating on Thoroughbreds. They say there is more money there , Staes like Az. New Mexico,Texas and Oklahoma are really big into thoroghbreds.I know why the races are only 20 seconds long.And it don't matter how you win as long as you win. I bet a horse that won a race and had the Exacta, but the winner totally wiped out one of the other horses about 1/4 of the way through the race. I was waiting for INQUIREY to star flashing but instead the prices came right up . I mean 30 seconds the most after the race ,the prices were up. It was nice but Thoroughbreds aee much more fun and at least you get to watch a race .

kenwoodallpromos
08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Besides, they do not run a quarter mile- the thoroughbred babies do!LOL!

midnight
08-30-2005, 03:00 PM
The All American Futurity is run at 440 yards, which is a quarter mile. Many major quarterhorse races are run at this distance.

JackS
08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Quarter horses are to the western states that the trotters are to the eastern states. Probably not the universal popularity of thorobreds, but due to night time racing ,they really pack-em' in at Los Alamitos. My impression is that QHR caters much more to the working-man and the cowboys and also has a very large Latino following.

cakes
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
According to the people I was talking to ,Sam Houston,Lone Star used to always run Quater Horses and now it's getting less and less. It seems they feel the track owners are trying to draw some of the big California Trainers and horse owners there and they say the insurence and stable fees are a lot cheaper. It supposedly cost a lot less for owners and trainers there in Texas and New Mexico.

Wickel
08-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Sam Houston and Lone Star still run quarter horses and thoroughbreds--each runs separate meets and each are equally popular with fans. As for New Mexico, Ruidoso has always been the predominant quarter-horse track. Sunland, Sun Ray, Downs at Albuquerque, State Fair meet, The Downs at Santa Fe (now closed, but might be reopening soon) and La Mesa Park (now closed) all ran about 3-5 QH races on their cards. The majority of races run by all these tracks were T-breds.

TurfRuler
08-30-2005, 10:21 PM
I know why the races are only 20 seconds long.And it don't matter how you win as long as you win. I bet a horse that won a race and had the Exacta, but the winner totally wiped out one of the other horses about 1/4 of the way through the race. I was waiting for INQUIREY to star flashing but instead the prices came right up . I mean 30 seconds the most after the race ,the prices were up.

"They're running, photo finish, you lose."

Zaf
08-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Do quarter horses typically run more frequently (time between races) ?

ZAFONIC

tonto1944
08-31-2005, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't bet a dime on Quater Horses the chalk wins about 50% or better of the races.

cj
08-31-2005, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't bet a dime on Quater Horses the chalk wins about 50% or better of the races.

I won't even bother looking up the stats, but there is no way that is true.

Zaf
08-31-2005, 10:38 AM
I like using the late pace fig :lol:

ZAFONIC

Red Knave
08-31-2005, 10:58 AM
I like using the late pace fig :lol:

ZAFONIC
Yeah, I love those 'S' horses too.

Wickel
08-31-2005, 11:12 AM
The percentage of favorites in QH racing is in tune with the national average, or even less, IMHO. These are hyper animals and the break is ever so important, more so than with thoroughbreds. One slight bump, stumble, break in the air or tossing of the head and it's pretty much over, no matter how good the horse is. Look at the horse at Ruidoso (something Spirit), who won the Ruidoso and Rainbow futurities easily, while undefeated, and appeared a lock in the All American trials. Didn't get away smoothly and didn't light the board. At least in thoroughbreds races, there's enough time to correct a bad start.

And to Zafonic, in QH racing, time between races is similar to Tbreds. They need time to recover, too.