PDA

View Full Version : What is the best handicapping product?

The Gambler08
05-29-2002, 11:29 PM
What is the best handicapping product for the money? I am currently a Brisnet Ultimate PP user. Any other suggestions?

JustRalph
05-29-2002, 11:37 PM
obviously you have a computer:

Get Equisim at

www.golganooza.com

If I had to recommend one product for a computer literate new handicapper, that would be it. Learn to use it properly and it pays for itself over and over............

boxcar
05-30-2002, 06:51 AM
The Gambler08 asked:

>>
What is the best handicapping product for the money? I am currently a Brisnet Ultimate PP user. Any other suggestions?
>>

How 'bout our God-given brains? And the price is certainly right.

Boxcar

andicap
05-30-2002, 11:25 AM
I hate to sound squishy on this but there is no right answer. It depends on what type of player you are. Speed, pace, trainer, all of these?
Are you looking for spot plays or plays every race? Value or decision-oriented? Play from home or the track?
I had people who swore they won using AOdds (no longer sold), All-in-One, A+, Allways, all the way down the alphabet. Then again other people have told me those products stink.

Boxcar has a good point -- a little obnoxiously, but a point -- you should decide what type of player you are first and then find the right product to fit your style. I know Boxcar uses handicapping aids -- he's discussed them here -- so he's being somewhat feisty, but you have to put the horse before the cart.

For myself, I arrived at a method using BRIS figures (prompted by a message on the PA board two years ago about a method some guy used -- i toyed with it, expanded it and am now in a long-term test to find an automatic method.) I have had people program for me the figures and ways to make it easier for me to rank and use them. For me that's a good software program and the best product i have seen.

I tried many of the common software programs and didn't do well with them. I think that was because i didn't really have a method, but was looking for something to give me the best horse. That's a brutal mistake I believe.
You have to have a philosophy, something to believe in handicapping-wise before deciding which aid/tool to use in your aresenal.

The Gambler08
05-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the advice. I see your points that you made. This game is about taking stands.

andicap
05-30-2002, 12:23 PM
yes and sort of.
You have to take a stand on what type of method you will use, and Dick Schmidt has told us about betting 2 or 3 horses a race. Some people will say that's NOT taking a stand because you are hedging so much. But I think Dick IS taking a stand -- his stand is that betting several horses a race can be profitable. Others, you have read here, disagree.

One of my major problems has been that although I now have a handicapping method to swear by I have never taken a stand in my money managment/betting method. Until I solve that problem, I will never be a consistently long-term successful player.

so.cal.fan
05-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Do not believe anyone else's opinion to be correct.
Study every idea carefully, with the open mind that it may or may not be true, no matter how long it has been a "truth".
Most winning angles are somewhat simple. When you find the one method that you KNOW to be true for YOU, then LIVE by it!
A good sound idea that YOU KNOW to be TRUE can be your best road to success, you will refine it into your own creation and if you stick to it, do not get discouraged or influenced by the good opinion of others..........it WILL WORK.
;)

The Gambler08
05-30-2002, 01:42 PM
Those are some words to live and wager by....:cool:

boxcar
05-30-2002, 06:16 PM
andicap wrote:

>>
Boxcar has a good point -- a little obnoxiously, but a point -- you should decide what type of player you are first and then find the right product to fit your style. I know Boxcar uses handicapping aids -- he's discussed them here -- so he's being somewhat feisty,
>>

I get that way whenever I post before having my first cup of java. I should know better by now...

Boxcar

alyingthief
05-31-2002, 01:19 PM
i can state categorically (i hardly ever do that) the single best handicapping product is a large data base of races and results. oh, and as boxcar so eloquently states, the brain to use one without prejudices and preconceptions.

it's stunning how much "accepted horse-wisdom" is merely accepted horse shit.

azmike
05-31-2002, 03:34 PM
There isn't "one" best. I know it may sound like "dodging" the question but it is true. I have used most programs out there and I like parts of some, none of some but not all of any one. I know people who love programs I don't like at all etc etc.

Oh I could pitch program XYZ and then the next guy pitches ABC etc but that wouldn't really help you.

I suggest you look at the demos, web sites, the users forums etc.

You might have to try 2-3 to get one you like.

Good luck.