PDA

View Full Version : Seth Martinez' Whip

sparkywowo
08-26-2005, 06:34 PM
In watching some of the Canterbury Races, on a couple of occasions Seth Martinez seemed to be beating the proverbial dead horse. The announcer even made mention of it one time, so I don't think it's just me. I normally don't care if a horse gets cracked a few times, but Martinez seemed unusually harsh and was really pounding away on the rib cage. ??

toetoe
08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
It kinda turns me on.

kenwoodallpromos
08-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Sounds like it musta stung. Maybe theyh will send the dude a nasty summons for a future get together.

JohnGalt1
08-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Seth is doing a great job. He's the go to guy for Mac Robertson the #1 trainer, who's the son of Hugh Robertson.

I have never seen a jockey whip a horse so strenuously and frequently

He would drive Trevor Denman crazy. Denman thinks it never appropiate to lift your arm above sholder height to whip. Watch Gary Stevens to see how to (not) whip a horse.

Valuist
08-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Nobody has a quicker left hand whip than Seth. Migliore can get a pretty good windmill going but not as hard as Seth. Hugh likes him a lot; wouldn't be surprised to see him riding Front Paige Gal this fall if he decides to come to Chicago after Cby.

sparkywowo
08-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I saw the ride on Scottago today, Impressive.

Observer
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
What boggles my mind is people who think the harder they hit a horse, the faster it will run. It simply does not work like that.

cj
08-30-2005, 11:09 AM
I've heard Tom Durkin mention that he thinks we should have whipping rules like they do in Europe. It sure seems like the horses run just as well when put to a good hard drive in the stretch after a few cracks.

Observer
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
The whip is an artificial aid .. and sometimes very necessary .. but I can never understand the logic of some riders when it comes to the force and/or repetition of use .. especially in cases where the horse is clearly protesting .. with swishing the tail, switching leads, shortening stride, moving erratically, etc.

Yes, horses will respond to the whip .. many respond just at the sight of it .. whether it be simply that the rider is carrying one .. or that the rider has made a move to use it .. but at some point, the effect of the aid is lost .. because at some point, the horse will be giving everything.

JimG
08-30-2005, 04:12 PM
He would drive Trevor Denman crazy. Denman thinks it never appropiate to lift your arm above sholder height to whip. Watch Gary Stevens to see how to (not) whip a horse.

Then it must drive Trevor nuts to watch Victor Espinoza on a daily basis.

delayjf
08-30-2005, 05:30 PM
If he really is abusing the animals, he can and should be fined or suspended. The stewards have that authority.

Observer
08-31-2005, 02:27 PM
I believe he has been fine and/or suspended for such violations at some point in the past.

JohnGalt1
09-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Seth did it again.

Closing day 9/05 in the 6th race at Canterbury his horse Maywood's Z, the #4 was in the inside being passed by the eventual winner Cole James when Seth let go with an over the shoulder belt.

Maywood's Z veered into the rail, nearly going through it. Seth and the horse were fortunate neither was hurt, though I think I saw the horse taken in the ambulance.

If you can see a replay on the net it's worth it. I think they have replays on Canterbury Park' website. I have dial up so the video's are worthless to me.