PDA

View Full Version : Slugs

Handle
05-29-2002, 12:27 AM
Picked 140 slugs off of my wife's marigolds this evening. Doesn't look good for them at all in the new house.

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of slugs? My dad says "beer in a bowl", but didn't think it was a convincing method. My mom suggested crushed oyster shells, or something abrasive like that, around the flowers. She also said something about an organic product called "Slug-O". Has anyone ever used it?

Suggestions?

-Nathan

Dick Schmidt
05-29-2002, 05:07 AM
Actually, the beer thing works rather well. Use a saucer (not a good one if you want to live) and dig the rim in even with the ground. Viola! Beer covered slugs, all curled up and dead. If the birds find them, you can enjoy watching the drunken flying attempts.

Dick

GR1@HTR
05-29-2002, 08:14 AM
Shotgun usually works well...can be kinda mess though. There are other alternatives:
http://seattle.about.com/c/ht/02/04/How_Get_Rid_Slugs1018227899.htm

Handle
05-29-2002, 10:59 AM
Thanks, I'll tell the wife and we'll give the beer a try.

-Nathan

Tom
05-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Dick Schmidt
Actually, the beer thing works rather well. Use a saucer (not a good one if you want to live) and dig the rim in even with the ground. Viola! Beer covered slugs, all curled up and dead. If the birds find them, you can enjoy watching the drunken flying attempts.

Dick

I thought my neighbor was just being friendly! No wonder he looked at me funny when I asked if he had any Lite ~G~

BillW
05-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Tom

I thought my neighbor was just being friendly! No wonder he looked at me funny when I asked if he had any Lite ~G~

Tom,

Your still alive .... that says alot about your character!

Bill

wes
05-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Handle

For your slug problem.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html.

You can also mix up about 1/4 cup of Epson Salts to about a gallon of water and spray the plants with the mixture. That works well on most all veggies plants also.

wes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sq764
06-26-2002, 06:51 PM
I am absolutely amazed that a group of horseracing enthusiasts know so much about ridding slugs..

Be ready for some marital advice questions from me, getting married in September!!