PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool Kids Playing Sports

chickenhead
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
An interesting piece on HBO sports about homeschooled kids wanting to play organized sports at the public schools they do not attend.

There are 2 million kids in homeschooling right now, so this is a fairly big issue. I was surprised to hear how strongly some of these parents felt about it, they said their kids civil rights are being violated, put it on par with racial discrimination, and are going through the courts (rather than the legislature) to try to gain access where they do not have it.

Wondering what everyone here thought about it? I certainly don't think it is a rights issue that should be decided through the courts.

lsbets
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
In my mind its simple - if you don't go to the school, you don't play sports there. You're not a part of that school. Each school has their own rules regarding who gets to play and what standards each student has to meet. I'm sure that homeschooling parents would not want the local school coming into their house and saying "Johnny can't play football this semester because he has not passed all of the requirements we have for health class." So, essentially, in this case, you have homeschool parents who want it their way on everything. Sorry, the world doesn't work like that. You chose to school your kid at home, I'm sure there are plenty of YMCA type leagues you can find, if not, that is one of the factors you have to weigh when deciding to home school. If I sent my kids to private school in the next town over, could they play sports at the public school in my town where I pay taxes? Hell no - no difference here.

Secretariat
08-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Isbets,

We do agree on some things.

I'm not even sure what the insurance issues are with something like this. Generally the coach is funded by taxpayer money, there are transportation issues. Possible student conflicts. It's a mess to do it this way.

It would seem that if home schooled kids wanted an athletic opportunity they may be able to band together and form a HomeSchool athletic program themselves, especially if the numbers are as high as you list.

Frankly, its not an issue I worry too much about. I posted simply because it shows that even conservatives and liberals can agree on certain issues.

chickenhead
08-24-2005, 03:07 PM
I thought it was interesting that HBO sports followed this story with a follow-up story on a lesbian couple that had sued to be able to be given equivalent status to a married couple at a private golf course where they were members.

The parrallels and differences were interesting to me, so far as who gets to decide who can do what. The lesbian couple won by the way, the homeschool kids have generally lost.

Bobby
08-24-2005, 03:34 PM
It would seem that if home schooled kids wanted an athletic opportunity they may be able to band together and form a HomeSchool athletic program themselves, especially if the numbers are as high as you list.

that's the way they do it here. The homeschoolers get an employee of the gym I go to to be the coach (or I guess PE teacher that's what you call it). They meet at least once a week. They play basketball, volleyball, and I guess racquetball and tennis 2.

My high school football coach - employed by the public schools. He had 3 kids. His wife home schooled them. No one said anything. We were runner state champs though. :D

witchdoctor
08-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Interestingly there was a good basketball player that played for University of Tulsa named Kevin Johnson. His dad was a former Houston Oiler and wanted him homeschooled. In high school many of the homeschooled parents networked and formed a team that played many of the public schools. Kevin reportedly scored 50 something points and grabbed 20 something rebounds while Bill Self was scouting somem other kid on the public school team that eventually won the Texas state championship. Keven wound up being a 2 time all-WAC performer and is now playing in Europe. Unfortunately being only 6 feet 7 inches tall, he will never make it in the NBA.

JustRalph
08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
In ohio..........the last I heard.........if you home school your kid....you still have to pay taxes to the local district. I say,,,,,,,,, if you pay taxes to the school should let you play...........

socantra
08-25-2005, 10:58 AM
if you home school your kid....you still have to pay taxes to the local district. I say,,,,,,,,, if you pay taxes to the school should let you play...........

I don't see where that has anything to do with it. You pay taxes whether you have kids or not, or if your kids are grown.

School sports programs are based upon the students of one school competing against the students at other schools.

It is your right not to participate in the activities of the school. If you have chosen home schooling, you have made that choice.

socantra...