PDA

View Full Version : Beginners luck

cakes
08-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Years ago father and Mother went to Belmont with his friend Anthony and his wife Jeana. Now his friend had never made a bet in his life., he took about $250 to the track and told my father he didn't know anything about handicapping. So he said he was going to play $2 to win on the 1 in the first and if that didn't win he was going to double up and bet $4 on the 2 in the second and keep going until he either won or went bust. By the time he got to the 7th he only had $124 left and put it all on the 7. My father thought he was nuts. Now I will tell you this he was not a poor man ,but also he wasn 't a rich man either.
Well the 7 won and paid $98.50. My father said Anthony almost lost it. The horse won by a nose. The photo took forever , my dad thought it was a deadheat. Needless to say he took everyone out for dinner and drinks. He said it was top shelf that night. Anthony has never been back to the track since. That was his only bet ever, he don't even play lotteries. Now that is what you call beginners luck and dumb luck all rolled into one.

The Judge
08-23-2005, 06:29 PM
This is how it all starts, you go to the track for the first time and you win ,its almost an unwritten rule. Maybe not in such a dramatic fashion as here. Rather then chalking it up as beginners luck you become interested and start learning to read the racing form then the handicapping books and next thing you know you are in a life long love affair with the horses and the track. If I lost the first time I may never have gone back. I'm glad I won.

Buckeye
08-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Double or nothing. If one then two. The only superstition I adhere to is if I have $13 in cash, I won't put it together in my wallet, I put some in one place and some in another.