PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the NTRA ought to think of this

Valuist
08-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Other than getting uniform colored saddle cloths, I'm not sure what they've done except launch marketing campaigns.

Here's one: Lets get tracks to card their worst race of the day in their opener. What could be defined as a worst race? It could be a race with a real small field, it could be a race with numerous first time starters or it could be a race hideous in quality; say a 2YO M15000 race. This way, only 1 set of P3s, and 1 set of P4s are ruined. Nothing is more frustrating for a P3 or P4 player than to find two great races surrounded by either a 5 horse field or a race with all first time starters. Some of the KY tracks, esp. Turfway and Ellis, are usually good about this. I haven't noticed many of the other tracks who follow it, however.

Besides, many players like to get at least some idea of how the track is playing. I don't know too many players who would object to this.

kingfin66
08-22-2005, 06:35 PM
It seem like most tracks already tend to card the worst races on the front end of cards. For major tracks, I would say a "worst" race would be the bottom level claimers with a short field.

kenwoodallpromos
08-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I thoughtthey WERE putting the worst race first at Saratoga- steeplechases.
I see a lot od 2f baby races first which are very missable for me.

Valuist
08-22-2005, 11:39 PM
When Saratoga has a steeplechase, they put it first. Fortunately, they don't have many. But the opening race the past few days were very bettable races; a NY bred Allowance at 1 1/8 miles, Sunday's opener only had 6 horses but that was after 2 scratched out; it was a high quality sprint taken off the grass. Saturday had a good sized field of older male 35K claimers; always a solid type betting race, and Friday was an allowance sprint. Meanwhile, they continue to roll out the 2YO races with 90% first time starters in the middle of the card.....making many a multi-exotic play unplayable. Either put these races in the opener, the 2nd, or the last race of the day.

Hosshead
08-23-2005, 03:55 AM
.... Meanwhile, they continue to roll out the 2YO races with 90% first time starters in the middle of the card.....making many a multi-exotic play unplayable. You don't suppose they put these "chaos" races, in that spot, to try to............. get a carryover... do you ? Nah, a track would never do something like that !! :cool:

Tom
08-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Valuist...they do this already at Finger Lakes. The worst race is carded as Race #1, #2, #3, #4,........ :D

Valuist
08-23-2005, 11:44 AM
LOL

As for the carryover argument, there's many players who don't play the Pic 6. I very rarely play; I'd much rather put money into P3s and P4s. Outside of California and maybe New York, I don't think its that popular.

sparkywowo
08-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Thoroughbred racing has no national leadership, each track is it's own little fiefdom, and the biggest, most obvious, glaringly ridiculous evidence of this is the fact that tracks run at only one of two times: early afternoon and early evening -- clearly catering to what the local management percieves to be the standard time the on track crowd is expected to arrive, but not doing anything in any other way that is intelligent with regard to the on track experience. Racetracks need to decide what kind of business they are in, are they providing a venue to see and bet a horse race, or trying to sell crappy food.

I live in central Indiana, and two tracks were recently built here, Hoosier Park in 1995, and Indiana Downs, I think in 2003.

Hoosier Park is a dump. Indiana Downs is a little gem. However, neither are that good a place to go see a horse race.

You can't see the backstretch from the Grandstand at Hoosier Park because billboards mounted atop the tote board block your view. And, I have to wear special clothes I can throw in the washer as soon as I come home because I get inundated with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and ... about 400th hand smoke.

You can't see the backstretch from the "Family/No Smoking" area at Indiana Downs because there is no grandstand, just the apron. You have to go inside to the clubhouse.

The stinking video presentation is not much help if you are watching the races on the computer, because at the 1/8th pole they zoom in on the winner and you can't tell what the hell else is going on.

Where are the High Definition TVs?
Why does track after track write races with virtually the same uninspired conditions?
Why doesn't anyone consider carding a series of match races?
Why doesn't anyone consider a truly innovative wagering system that approaches fixed odds?
If you are going to build a new track, why not make it a great place to see a race with a unique layout, like Colonial? Here in Indiana, you could easily build a straight ONE MILE track. Yes, races up to one mile ridden around ZERO turns. We don't need ovals to see the whole race if you got a good TV crew.
With a straight, and wide, strip you could safely have 20 horse fields!!
Hit that superfecta!! ;)

Go Baby, Go!

:sleeping: and then I wake up...:bang: