PDA

View Full Version : Mind Betting, Bankroll Control

anotherdave
05-28-2002, 12:43 PM
Has anyone out there read "Mind Betting" by Mike Lee? The first half is supposed to be about the mental side of wagering. The other half is about sports handicapping. I thought that the first half might be interesting for horseplayers too. Anyone know anything about it?

Also has anyone read "Bankroll Control" by Michael Pascual? Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

AD

alyingthief
05-28-2002, 05:09 PM
i had the fortune (or the misfortune) to meet pascaul a number of years ago, and found him an interesting eccentric. he occupies this warren of a cubicle in reno as his "office", and spends his time devising systems to exploit faro and such...

his personal belief is, that horseracing is unbeatable.

bankroll control is, as with all these other books by mathematicians, filled with hocus pocus and alchemical formulae, which are then written up in basic (that will not work when you try to load them into a machine, as i so found; however, my knowledge of programming is rudimentary, and the necessary adjustments to the basic program i used may have been the problem)...it is short, hardly useful to practical wagering (dutching in all its reticulations is its main attraction--that, and providing mathematical means to determine rate of bankroll growth, and the verification of a plausibly profitable handicapping system), and IMO vastly overpriced. the same information can be gleaned elsewhere for decidedly less.

on the other hand, if you wish to flout the world, memorize the formulae, and mesmerize your friends--especially when you are losing money, for men will ignore your frayed cuffs, and threadworn pants when you spout mathematics at them. this is called "eccentricity".

superfecta
05-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by alyingthief
i had the fortune (or the misfortune) to meet pascaul a number of years ago, and found him an interesting eccentric. he occupies this warren of a cubicle in reno as his "office", and spends his time devising systems to exploit faro and such...

his personal belief is, that horseracing is unbeatable.

bankroll control is, as with all these other books by mathematicians, filled with hocus pocus and alchemical formulae, which are then written up in basic (that will not work when you try to load them into a machine, as i so found; however, my knowledge of programming is rudimentary, and the necessary adjustments to the basic program i used may have been the problem)...it is short, hardly useful to practical wagering (dutching in all its reticulations is its main attraction--that, and providing mathematical means to determine rate of bankroll growth, and the verification of a plausibly profitable handicapping system), and IMO vastly overpriced. the same information can be gleaned elsewhere for decidedly less.

on the other hand, if you wish to flout the world, memorize the formulae, and mesmerize your friends--especially when you are losing money, for men will ignore your frayed cuffs, and threadworn pants when you spout mathematics at them. this is called "eccentricity". ALT,if you are rich,you are eccentric,if you're poor,you are just plain nutty.