PDA

View Full Version : Race Track Radio

Suff
08-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Nice article in the TimesUnion about Travis Stone , who occassionaly posts here as TRAVISVOX.

His radio show. @ www.racetrackradio.com (http://www.racetrackradio.com/) could use your support. His show is entertaining, informative, and his guests are A list.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=390741&BCCode=&newsdate=8/20/2005

At the races, this guy talks the talk

Travis Stone's the guy on the roof of Saratoga Race Course's press box every day, just outside Tom Durkin's announcing booth. The guy with binoculars, a microphone headset, a sweaty grip on a racing form, and a crescendoing, staccato cadence as horses strain down the homestretch.

He's the guy running down from the roof after races, jogging to do interviews in the winner's circle so he can write a story for the racing newspaper The Saratoga Special, then heading back to the roof again to practice calling another race. His press credentials get him into the racecourse every day, but he said he had to get permission from the track communications office to be on the roof.

Zaf
08-20-2005, 09:54 PM
I have been listening. Excellent show !!!

ZAFONIC

Suff
08-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Yea.. he's good. His voice is unique. I've listened to most of his shows, and I can't say whether I like it or dislike it. I listen to it thinking "that's a unique voice" or style... whatever the word. But he is definitely unique. And that's hard to do in today's huge media world.

He had Hayward on Wed. The new racing secy was on Thursday. Racing Secy sounded like we was 15.

I know he has to be sensitive to his guests....and it was good to hear NYRA CEO Charlie Hayward. But I wish he prodded him more...or tougher. Had I had the chance to ask Mr. Hayward a few questions I might start with:

1. Belmont handle was down a lot, Saratoga is also down. I keep hearing it is because NYRA cut off Rebate shops. However, NYRA only cut off certain rebate shops that were part of a criminal investigation. Your still taking action from many hubs with Rebate shops in their network. So how can the entire reason for handle decline be blamed on cutting off 10 shops?

2. Their is strong resentment amongst owners and trainers relative to Lakows firing while not providing a thorough explanation. It has the appearance of a less than transparent organization , while we keep hearing about a level of unprecedented openness. But to date no one has fully explained this significant transition. What were the reasons for Lakows firing beyond executive discretion?

3. The detention barns have significantly effected the horsemen's ability to ship in horses. They appear to be ill conceived, resulting in smaller fields, while also adding to the discourse with horseman. Why weren't horseman included in the design and implementation of the detention barns?

4. Can you amplify on how patronage and nepotism were major factors in the Federal Monitors criticism of NYRA's previous management, yet new employees and recently awarded contracts have the same dynamic, if not at least the same appearance. How are you able to reward your network of contacts in the racing industry when the previous regime was highly criticized for the same thing?

5. In two speech's last week you used the words insolvency and bankruptcy while outlining NYRA's current fiscal environment. Is NYRA examining Bankruptcy as a way to reorganize financially in the event you are prosecuted? Or not prosecuted?

We'll be back right after this commercial break and hopefully ( but doubtfully) Mr. Hayward will still be here.....;)

Turfday
08-21-2005, 01:41 AM
I've got some incredible, eye-opening stats on a particular trainer (not New York based) that I'm going to talk about on his Sunday, Aug. 21 show.

CapperLou
08-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm unable to connect to the show--getting message from wmp that server is busy or cannot connect etc.

Therefore; Bob, could you elaborate a bit here about the particulat=r trainer you mention after the show?

Thanks for your help--sorry could not listen to the show this morning.

All the best,

CapperLou

keilan
08-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Guys can someone post what time the show begins?

Suff
08-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Guys can someone post what time the show begins?

9:00 am to 10:00 am.

I listened with out incident. The trainer was Justn Nixon. Who, If I heard him right is 98% ITM with his last 107 starters. It was at the end of the show and I was in the Kitchen listening out of the corner of my ear. But thats what I heard. 98% ITM. I'm probably wrong but thats what I think I heard.

Nixon only has 367 starts last 3 years, so he's not a factory, but he does well with what he has.

Look in the Archived section in little while and see if todays show goes up soon.

keilan
08-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanky suff --I'd rather hear it live otherwise any discussion about today's card becomes pointless

Suff
08-21-2005, 10:42 AM
harvey Pack and crew LIVE NOW

http://www.drf.com/sar/2005/saratoga.html

keilan
08-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Suff is Harvey's show over cause I'm not able to access it? If it's still on post your number and I'll give you a call so that you can steer me in the right direction okay

Suff
08-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Suff is Harvey's show over cause I'm not able to access it? If it's still on post your number and I'll give you a call so that you can steer me in the right direction okay

I can't get packs show... its having trouble. I have a connection....and I heard a guy say "hello" about a minute ago. It appears they have their cranium inserted in their rectum today.....

Tom
08-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Travis is prfessional in every respect - a bright star on our horizon, or sure. Tip of the ole chappeau...

Zaf
08-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Hope to meet him at the SPA in a few days. I'm sure he'll stop by the tent. Right Suff ?

ZAFONIC

Suff
08-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Hope to meet him at the SPA in a few days. I'm sure he'll stop by the tent. Right Suff ?

ZAFONIC

That's a work in progress. He's invited over...I made him aware of that via e-mail that he has'nt responded to, as of yet.

Bubbles
08-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Funny story about Travis's show: I wrote an e-mail the day after the Sword Dancer, criticizing Santos's riding style on grass horses, most notably, Relaxed Gesture. For those who haven't seen it, he'd been riding them by using choke holds that have been outlawed in most wrestling federations for the last century.

Travis, knowing his style is to be respectful (which I completely respect), utters a little thing about that, and then, after a quick "That being said...," agrees with me, and pretty graphically, too.

"We're not the only ones that see this!"

:D

Suff
08-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Funny story about Travis's show: I wrote an e-mail the day after the Sword Dancer, criticizing Santos's riding style on grass horses, most notably, Relaxed Gesture. For those who haven't seen it, he'd been riding them by using choke holds that have been outlawed in most wrestling federations for the last century.

Travis, knowing his style is to be respectful (which I completely respect), utters a little thing about that, and then, after a quick "That being said...," agrees with me, and pretty graphically, too.

"We're not the only ones that see this!"

:D

A young guy named Andy has called his show a couple of times. It does'nt sound like you,,,,,, but is it?

You still on for wed morn with CJ? and me if you need it?

Bubbles
08-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Suff, I called in once (Dwango, the horse I asked about, was a late scratch), and I sent him that e-mail, but that was it. I've been told I sound different on the phone, must be that.

And yeah, Wednesday is still a go, as far as I know. The morning man checks the wires every week to make sure everything's A-OK, if something's amiss, I'll be sure to let those involved know. I'm PM'ing cj with the phone number of the studio in a few minutes, assuming everyone's up at the house, I should be able to get access to anyone that has something to say about the conversation. Make sure the phone has a speaker function! ;)

Suff
08-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Suff, I called in once (Dwango, the horse I asked about, was a late scratch), and I sent him that e-mail, but that was it. I've been told I sound different on the phone, must be that.

! ;)

I think it was you... It was last week right? Wed..maybe thursday.

Bub's you sound 12 on the phone....:lol:

Thats for calling us "old guys" in another thread!:lol:

WINMANWIN
08-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Yea.. he's good. His voice is unique. I've listened to most of his shows, and I can't say whether I like it or dislike it. I listen to it thinking "that's a unique voice" or style... whatever the word. But he is definitely unique. And that's hard to do in today's huge media world.

He had Hayward on Wed. The new racing secy was on Thursday. Racing Secy sounded like we was 15.

I know he has to be sensitive to his guests....and it was good to hear NYRA CEO Charlie Hayward. But I wish he prodded him more...or tougher. Had I had the chance to ask Mr. Hayward a few questions I might start with:

1. Belmont handle was down a lot, Saratoga is also down. I keep hearing it is because NYRA cut off Rebate shops. However, NYRA only cut off certain rebate shops that were part of a criminal investigation. Your still taking action from many hubs with Rebate shops in their network. So how can the entire reason for handle decline be blamed on cutting off 10 shops?

2. Their is strong resentment amongst owners and trainers relative to Lakows firing while not providing a thorough explanation. It has the appearance of a less than transparent organization , while we keep hearing about a level of unprecedented openness. But to date no one has fully explained this significant transition. What were the reasons for Lakows firing beyond executive discretion?

3. The detention barns have significantly effected the horsemen's ability to ship in horses. They appear to be ill conceived, resulting in smaller fields, while also adding to the discourse with horseman. Why weren't horseman included in the design and implementation of the detention barns?

4. Can you amplify on how patronage and nepotism were major factors in the Federal Monitors criticism of NYRA's previous management, yet new employees and recently awarded contracts have the same dynamic, if not at least the same appearance. How are you able to reward your network of contacts in the racing industry when the previous regime was highly criticized for the same thing?

5. In two speech's last week you used the words insolvency and bankruptcy while outlining NYRA's current fiscal environment. Is NYRA examining Bankruptcy as a way to reorganize financially in the event you are prosecuted? Or not prosecuted?

We'll be back right after this commercial break and hopefully ( but doubtfully) Mr. Hayward will still be here.....;)

Mike you are ACE'S BIG TIME DUDE. Those questions are RIGHT ON ! :ThmbUp:

Bubbles
08-22-2005, 11:07 PM
I think it was you... It was last week right? Wed..maybe thursday.

Bub's you sound 12 on the phone....:lol:

Thats for calling us "old guys" in another thread!:lol:Wasn't last week, it was maybe two weeks ago, sometime in early-August, and I was an anonymous caller, didn't leave my name. Naturally, the horse in question, Dwango, scratched, and Shaniko won by 11 or so.

TravisVOX
08-28-2005, 01:08 AM
I didn't expect this post... wow! Thanks everyone, it's a lot of tough work, more than I expected, but its fun...

Getting towards the end now, it's sad...

Suff... I never got an email?

Figman
01-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Wow, both Storm Cadet and Travis on live TV New Years Day at the same time. The only one missing on the Capital District Regional OTB show with Tom Amello and Nick Kling was Suff! Travis was on for an hour and a half. Great job!

Suff
01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Wow, both Storm Cadet and Travis on live TV New Years Day at the same time. The only one missing on the Capital District Regional OTB show with Tom Amello and Nick Kling was Suff! Travis was on for an hour and a half. Great job!

Travis was on the OTB. That I can see as he is a rising star in the racing callers/media/journalist circle.

Ronnie was on the OTB show? Great! As an Owner/Fan type thingy dingy?

I hope Ron gives us a little inside scoop on his experience.

Storm Cadet
01-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I remembered Sunday AM about the show and I called in with 30 minutes to go. I watched the feed on the internet. Great video and sound.

Anyway, I called and got through on the 1st call...I was only the 2nd in line to go on live.

They had just discussed Pletcher and his suspension and I noticed that one of the speakers had a laptop in front of him that he kept looking at so I wrote down 3 technology questions or views:

1. Pletcher who spoke in the 2004 technology fair at SAR about how all his barns were linked together by computers so his using the lame excuse that he didn't know what meds were given to that horse were crap.

2. I asked why I had to as a resident of NY, placed bets on-line through Bris instead of a NYRA One account that handles interent wagers. Why does NYRA pay Bris a fee when they can start NYRA wagering over the net or OTB can.

3. Why do we still do not have computerized electronic timing for all races like we do for NASCAR, the Olympics, USA Track & Field and numerous other sports. Why do we not put a running timer on the screen for all to see.

They agreed on all 3 points and then they discussed each as I got off the phone. The reporter on the left remembered my call in name as Storm Cadet being a West Point horse and he wondered what ever happened to the horse...made me feel good that someone remembered my 1st horse!

toetoe
01-04-2006, 12:10 AM
At the risk of harping, I ask why we can't time ALL races from the same standard points --- 3/4 pole, 1/2 pole, 1/4 pole, 1/8 pole. Also, the various runups can be practically ignored, and the vast majority of races can be compared reliably. After all, more useful and comparable than the time of the first quarter of a 5.5-furlong race are the times of the last half, quarter and eighth of that same race, or of an 8.5-furlong race.
Check out the Hong Kong system. Very good.