PDA

View Full Version : evaluating class

traynor
08-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Any opinions, preferences, or ideas about evaluating class? I have been using Quinn's condition levels for several years with fair results, and I would really like to build on the concept--perhaps merging it with earnings, purses, class levels by track, or some other approach--that would essentially give an accurate means of comparing the class factor in past performances. Any suggestions, or methods you may have developed that you are willing to share?
Good luck

oddswizard
08-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I have a simple Class formula I use for handicapping purposes. First I go by the distance of the race. Class means nothing to me in sprint races as I handicap by Pace. In Route races of 1 mile or over here is the formula: In Claiming races a horse has to have won or came within 1 length of winning at a higher class: Assuming a distance race has a $20000 claiming price, I review all of the horses that have won or came within 1 length at a higher claiming price or under allowance conditions. So a horse that qualifies at $30000 claiming qualifies as a class horse dropping in price. I circle 30 over the past performances. I am looking for 3 class horses in the race. If a qualified horse has run in an allowance race he can run within 2 lengths of winning since it is a higher class race. If the race was alw 40000 I circle A-40 on the pp's. You will find that one of your top 3 horses will win 70% of distance races with this formula. Works for me. If the race is on the turf you must use turf pp's only to select the Class.

Tom
08-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Traynor - using Quinn's condition ideas is a good way to go - add pars to that and you will be able to tell which races are better at the same class.

Example- not a lot of young developing horses have already run par for NW1, but some in the filed might have exceed MSW pars going in, and that can be and edge not readily apparent to people not using pars. A shipper from Del might be coming out of one of the best MSW races at that track but most won't know that.

Tom
08-20-2005, 08:36 PM
I have a simple Class formula I use for handicapping purposes. First I go by the distance of the race. Class means nothing to me in sprint races as I handicap by Pace. In Route races of 1 mile or over here is the formula: In Claiming races a horse has to have won or came within 1 length of winning at a higher class: Assuming a distance race has a $20000 claiming price, I review all of the horses that have won or came within 1 length at a higher claiming price or under allowance conditions. So a horse that qualifies at $30000 claiming qualifies as a class horse dropping in price. I circle 30 over the past performances. I am looking for 3 class horses in the race. If a qualified horse has run in an allowance race he can run within 2 lengths of winning since it is a higher class race. If the race was alw 40000 I circle A-40 on the pp's. You will find that one of your top 3 horses will win 70% of distance races with this formula. Works for me. If the race is on the turf you must use turf pp's only to select the Class.

Hmmmmm, tell me more.
How far back do you go? Do you thorw out horses who would otherwise qualify if they have run poorly at a lower level since? Does distance/surface matter?
Interesting method.

oddswizard
08-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I go back one year for Class. The horses must be in condition and have decent form. Use dirt pp's for dirt races and turf pp's for turf races. I realize this is a simple method-but it works!