PDA

View Full Version : Sports Eye

xfile
08-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Anyone remember Sports Eye? It had harness pp's and some thoroughbred stuff as well. Was wondering what happened to them. It seems like everything I like (Racing Times) disapears.....lol:confused:

Zman179
08-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Sports Eye essentially split into two factions. One is now called Harness Eye which just carries pp's and nothing else. The sister publication for HE is now the Daily Harness Program.

For the flats there is the Daily Racing Program, that little book which has proven to be a popular product. There is also the Daily Racing Advance which is a larger print version of the DRP.

freeneasy
08-20-2005, 05:06 PM
a few years back, made public their own version of the daily racing form called the "vegas racing advance" they brought it out here to california but it lost money so they just kept it published back east. but just recently they brought it back to the west coast and as far as i know when i go down to the cornor newstand its been selling out like hotcakes while the form just sits there all stacked up.
cost $3.25. form $4.75
today sat. the vra put out 19 tracks. the form? 4 tracks
they include the equa base speed ratings and the track sr and v
they show the last 8 races
they show up to 7 horses per page so a 12 horse field only takes two pages unlike the form which with all their advertising and crap will take up to 4 pages to cover.
you get the horse and trainer stats which includes the forth place finishes for the horses
postimes and bet types for each race are printed on each page
for each horse they include their own class, speed, jock/trainer number and combine it to give a 'most probable winner' number (ive seen some nice longshots come in on this one)
all in all its a pretty good publication. the vegas racing advance

freeneasy
08-21-2005, 01:55 AM
each race they include the purse value for all claiming races unlike the form where they only give you the purse values for non claiming races only. its a real nice little treat.

xfile
08-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Sports Eye essentially split into two factions. One is now called Harness Eye which just carries pp's and nothing else. The sister publication for HE is now the Daily Harness Program.

For the flats there is the Daily Racing Program, that little book which has proven to be a popular product. There is also the Daily Racing Advance which is a larger print version of the DRP.

Wow..do they have a website?

xfile
08-21-2005, 07:40 AM
a few years back, made public their own version of the daily racing form called the "vegas racing advance" they brought it out here to california but it lost money so they just kept it published back east. but just recently they brought it back to the west coast and as far as i know when i go down to the cornor newstand its been selling out like hotcakes while the form just sits there all stacked up.
cost $3.25. form $4.75
today sat. the vra put out 19 tracks. the form? 4 tracks
they include the equa base speed ratings and the track sr and v
they show the last 8 races
they show up to 7 horses per page so a 12 horse field only takes two pages unlike the form which with all their advertising and crap will take up to 4 pages to cover.
you get the horse and trainer stats which includes the forth place finishes for the horses
postimes and bet types for each race are printed on each page
for each horse they include their own class, speed, jock/trainer number and combine it to give a 'most probable winner' number (ive seen some nice longshots come in on this one)
all in all its a pretty good publication. the vegas racing advance

I would love to be able to find them online.....

Zman179
08-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Wow..do they have a website?

Nope. They've always been a paper only, no-frills company.

xfile
08-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Nope. They've always been a paper only, no-frills company.

man they are missing out on a huge market.....thanks for the info

mcikey01
08-21-2005, 11:50 PM
STILL THINK HIGHLY OF THEIR PP LAYOUT AND CONTENT...WILLING AND ABLE TO PUSH THE ENVELOPE ON PP DATA TO ASSIST THE HANDICAPPER...

HOME GROWN COMPUTERIZED HANDICAPPING DATA THAT APPEARS IN EACH ISSUE NOT MUCH VALUE, THOUGH..

SCOPE OF TRACK COVERAGE, GREAT, AND, SO IS THE PRICE..... $3.00

First_Place
08-22-2005, 12:45 AM
"Anyone remember Sports Eye? It had harness pp's and some thoroughbred stuff as well. Was wondering what happened to them. It seems like everything I like (Racing Times) disapears.....lol"

Of course, they're still around. It's just that not all newsstands and/or convenience stores carry it. Their pocket-sized Daily Racing Program has up to 18 tracks in it. The best bang for the buck (actually three bucks) as far as I'm concerned. It features Equibase speed figures which I prefer.

Here's their address:

Sports Eye, Inc.
18 Industrial Park Drive
Port Washington, New York 11050
516-484-3300

FP

First_Place
08-22-2005, 12:50 AM
freeneasy said:

"...when i go down to the cornor newstand its been selling out like hotcakes while the form just sits there all stacked up."

Same here in Jersey. If I don't get the program before noon to handicap the next day's card(s), nine times out of ten they're sold out.

FP

midnight
08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
While I don't use it, the Advance is also popular here at the racebooks in Vegas and is usually gone by 10 AM (Pacific).