PDA

View Full Version : E-mail hosting

BillW
08-20-2005, 04:07 AM
Those needing an independent e-mail hosting service may be interested in the following:

After I recently changed ISP's to a broadband service I found out that their e-mail service employed a very aggressive spam filter that popped out a lot of false positives. It took me a few phone calls to figure out that I was beating my head against a brick wall trying to fix the problem (you know - :bang: ). They just didn't understand that any false positive was not tolerable.

This being my only broadband option and the e-mail problem not bad enough to drop the new ISP - I located an independent e-mail host usermail.com. I have just completed a 30 day trial and can report that it has worked out perfectly - no lost e-mails that I am aware of, their spam filters have not allowed anything through and their service is $20/year for one 50Mb acct (10Mb attachment limit) with both POP3 and web access. I'll report further as I have more experience with them.

Bill

BTW the only down side I see to them is that they offer no compensation for writing up favorable reviews and posting them around the internet. :p

cosmicway
08-20-2005, 04:21 AM
if your email address has been grabbed by the spammers, change it.
filters are useless.
I have one address that was "taken up" following a number of incidents last year and it receives 20 spam mails a day. I 'm going to cancel it after a while.
My new address also receives spams 1 or 2 every three days.

BillW
08-20-2005, 04:24 AM
I've had the same e-mail address for 5 years now with no problem with spam. Your experience may be typical but not necessary.

BTW happy birthday :)

Hosshead
08-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Bill, Remember the other day, in a thread about "Who has $1 tri's?", and you mentioned Brisbet, and I said I had emailed them, and I was going to get back to you?
Well your thread just reminded me, I got that email back, rejected (from Brisbet) as SPAM ! I just said the hell with it !