PDA

View Full Version : Some recent books

GameTheory
08-19-2005, 03:13 AM
Just looking through the new releases at Gamblersbook for the last few months:

De Julio on Workouts -- Bruno DeJulio (CJ said he ordered this already -- anyone actually seen it yet?)

Zen & the Successful Horseplayer -- Frederic Donner (With that title it has to be heavy on the BS, but maybe it's good)

Horseplayers -- Ted McClelland (looks like profiles of life at the track)

Dynamic Ability -- Walter Seip (I'm surprised no one has mentioned or asked about this since it looks like hardcore handicapping stuff -- sounds a bit like Ruben Boxer's engineering approach "friction" stuff. Of course it probably sucks.)

Anyone read any of these?

GameTheory
08-19-2005, 03:27 AM
De Julio on Workouts -- Bruno DeJulio"Bruno on Workouts" is the title, sorry...

Dave Schwartz
08-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Recently I have been ordering and reading every book that has been mentioned on PA that I have never read before.

Understand that when I read a book I have very low expectations. I long ago gave up the notion that any single new book was going to suddenly propel me to levels never reached before.

I emphasize new because there are certainly some old books that were capable of doing that. Modern Pace Handicapping, Winning at the Races, Pace Makes the Race, any of Beyer's books (okay, Andy's books don't really do that much for my handicapping but they are just such a pleasure to read).

All I desire to consider the book a worthwhile investment is a single idea... a single new factor or a new way of looking at an old factor... anything new or original, really.

It has been very disappointing.

Someone suggested the Katcha Goodwon books. Pure waste of time and money.

Then there was the Would, Coulda, Shoulda book. I Shoulda not wasted my time.

Recently I read Danny Holmes' Ten Steps to Winning. This one was the first book to have any usable substance at all. His definitions were a bit weak and his use of the exclamation point (!) makes you feel that he spends a lot of time shouting, but my minimum requirements were certainly satisfied - I got an idea from reading the book.

I suppose I'll take a crack at GT's list above eventually.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

aaron
08-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I just finished reading" Zen and the Successful Horseplayer."While there is no reveloutionary handicapping information in the book,I still found it a good read.
The book is helpful in giving you information on how to conduct you behavior while playing the horses.It could help you in playing and when to make certain types of plays.

DJofSD
08-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Zen & the Successful Horseplayer -- Frederic Donner (With that title it has to be heavy on the BS, but maybe it's good)

Well, I guess this is just a variation on the old saw "don't judge a book by it's cover" but now substitute title.

To PA and others, if you want to read something that'll make you stop to reconsider the left-brain right-brain debate, try Blink.

DJofSD

Steve 'StatMan'
08-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Just looking through the new releases at Gamblersbook for the last few months:

Horseplayers -- Ted McClelland (looks like profiles of life at the track)

Anyone read any of these?

It's a fun book about people/bettors whose lives revolve around the track, and their attempts (a few succesful, some holding-on, many strugglers) at wagering at the races full-time. I'm in the book (newspaper/tip sheet handicapper, betting wise still working on it, we have some fun with some of my foibles). Scott McMannis is in there, several others that I know at the track are there. A very interesting chapter on a problem gambler who ran up $170,000 on his employer's credit card. Hawthorne's "Blind Beggar" and a Stooper as well.

We've got some threads on this one - the book came out just before the Derby this year. It won't shed much insight on how to become a professional player - although Scott's level of discipline and basic approach might inspire others just starting - or at least to take his (or other instructors) classes. Scott's attempts at teaching that discipline to Warren (still our friend) is quite funny, and really illustrates the point that you really have to be a disciplined person to have any serious chance at making it in this game.

mcikey01
08-25-2005, 01:19 PM
All I desire to consider the book a worthwhile investment is a single idea... a single new factor or a new way of looking at an old factor... anything new or original, really.........................

Recently I read Danny Holmes' Ten Steps to Winning. This one was the first book to have any usable substance at all. His definitions were a bit weak and his use of the exclamation point (!) makes you feel that he spends a lot of time shouting, but my minimum requirements were certainly satisfied - I got an idea from reading the book.

I second your comments, Dave. The book made me dizzy with its redundant recapitulations and the simple handicapping method outlined was just that- an outline lacking fine detail - and doesn't mesh with my handicapping approach , anyway. However, the Money Management Formulae, which were the meat of the book, gave me some ideas.

And Danny Holmes was honest enough to advise perfecting one's handicapping skills before plunging headfirst into his investment strategies.

The book offered a square deal: reasonable insights, reasonable advice and a reasonable price

delayjf
08-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Dave,

Have you read Cary Fotias "Blinkers Off" and if so, what did you think?

Dave Schwartz
08-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Delay,

Yes, I read it. He obviously knows a great deal about making numbers and the book is very literate.

Personally, I got nothing out of his book that I could use.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Houndog
08-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Dave, aren't some of your program users trying to do something similiar to some of the concepts in the Fotias book with their SLT's?

Dave Schwartz
08-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, they are certainly applying "form cycle" logic.

I just did not find that Fotias' representation got through to me. Perhaps I missed it or maybe it is because I have been learning about The Sheets, and have had a pretty good teacher, but, frankly, I found his stuff to be very basic for a form-cycle student.

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression. If so, permit me to correct it.

I said that I did not get anything out of his book. Perhaps others might.

I just feel that one would probably get more from the "Sheets - Handicapping Analysis" page for free than from Fotias' book. (Please note that one would have to have a rudimentary understanding of the Sheets notation, etc. first.)
http://www.thesheets.com/

Dave

andicap
08-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Dave,

Have you read Cary Fotias "Blinkers Off" and if so, what did you think?

Well I hate to contradict Dave Schwartz but I found Blinkers Off to be among the top three handicapping books I have ever read and one that has real practical use if you have a good set of figures. It's the one book I read over and over again.

In fact one person told me he was doing well applyling Fotias' theories to CJ's figures.

At the Siro's seminar yesterday Fotias did not pick many winners but he did have two high priced horses run 2nd so you would have had a nice exacta if you had keyed them. To me a 10-1 shot running second is as good as if not better than a 2-1 winner.

To me Fotias' theories are not basic. His thoughts on maiden races are unique and although he looks at turf races the way everyone else does he gives you a systematic approach to look at his figures. His play is different than most people's. He's not necessarily trying to pick winners, but value -- longshots who he can build exotics around -- which fits my style to a "T".

And he is well regarded. Never heard the term fraud thrown his way one bit.

JackS
08-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Anidcap- My style also. In races that have been handicapped a typical 3 contender race might look like this- 9/5, 4-1, 12-1. Most races will routinely include the favorite. The short price of the fav leads to some introspection and an attempt to justify this price. Also an attempt to come to some understanding as to why the general public seems to love this horse so much.
If these answers are a little difficult to understand and justify, the other two horses become almost automatic or (should I say automatic) as possible upsetters.
The question now is- 4-1 or 12-1 and what is my personal ability to assume risk. My previuos play during this day might influence the way I would play these two horses- i.e, if way ahead, 12-1 on top in an exoctic, if behind, 4-1 in an attempt to recoup losses. Others may have the oppoisite view if ahead or behind i.e- the 12-1 to recoup all losses and enter the black column should this horse win.
This situation calls for a decision as both horses represent value and neither may represent more value then the other.

delayjf
08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I tend to agree with Andicap. But my experience in using Fotias pace/form theorys is limited, but it has been successful.

Dave,
I'm not sure why you feel that the sheets form analysis is simular to Fotias's approach. Especally since "the sheets" don't use pace figures as a form tool. I'm not saying one is right over the other, but they do seem different to me. Fotias even takes on the Sheets in his book.

mhrussell
08-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I also agree with Andi... Cary's book is one of my select few that I re-read periodically and also, last year incorporated these techniques into my handicapping using the BRIS pace figures. So, far they have worked very well. Pointed to Bright Design, a second time starter "compression" horse that won at ~45-1 near the tail end of the Hollywood Park meet.

Good stuff.

Still wondering about Bruno's "Workout" book. Anyone read it and have a review to offer?

Dave Schwartz
08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Well, considering the respect I have for those who disagree with me here, perhaps I should do a re-read. Who knows? Maybe second time through I will have a different take.

Thanks for your opinions.

Dave

Tor Ekman
08-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Horseplayers - Life At The Track, by Ted McClelland, is exactly what the title implies - it chronicles a year that he spent on assignment, trying to support himself as a professional horseplayer. A very entertaining, breezy read, throughout which you will well empathize with his agony and ecstacy.

highnote
09-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Mark Cramer, Barry Meadows and James Quinn all said that many of the concepts in "Blinkers Off" are revolutionary.

Definately worth a read, IMHO.

highnote
09-01-2005, 08:47 PM
"Bruno on Workouts" is the title, sorry...

I learned a lot from Bruno's book. I'm about half way through it. Based on what I've read so far, I recommend it.