PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping books - old and new - which are best?

Doc
08-16-2005, 07:27 PM
I cut my teeth on Andy Beyer's first book back in the late 1970's, but I was wondering if there's any new or especially worthwhile handicapping books that you liked and can recommend. I'm not a fan of some of the books that DRF Press has been churning out, especially those written by Watchmaker and Crist. And which ones did you hate?

Doc

BELMONT 6-6-09
08-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Doc, The six secrets of successful bettors from the daily racing form (IMO) is a very informative read that actually inspires the reader to play this game in more of a businesslike fashion.There are hundreds of extremely useful and thought provoking messages and ideas that will aid any level bettor to gain an edge on a very difficult long term game.

As for the worst book i have read about horse racing generally it is the systematic approaches that make handicapping the races for profit as easy as writing your name down on paper. zappi

ceejay
08-16-2005, 09:16 PM
especially those written by Watchmaker and Crist. I didn't know Watchmaker wrote a book. (I think he did a chapter in Bet with the best.) Can you give me a reference to a book of his: I might be interested.

Doc
08-17-2005, 10:57 AM
You're right, I was thinking of that chapter in Bet With the Best.

sealord
08-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Modern Pace Handicapping. Period. I also love Quinn's stuff and Dick Mitchell teaches money management vs. handicapping skill perfectly.

Wickel
08-18-2005, 01:11 PM
I agree that MPH, by Brohamer, was the best. Pizzolla's Handicapping Magic was impressive and I, too, benefitted from the Mitchell books. I didn't care for Quinn--usually rehashed material and talked down to 'cappers. Huey Mahl, who wrote a booklet on pace way back in the '70s was also well received.

kitts
08-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Dick Mitchell's book Winning Thoroughbred Strategies turned me from a losing player of many years into a profit maker. His Commonsense Handicapping is frosting on the cake.

xfile
08-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I cut my teeth on Andy Beyer's first book back in the late 1970's, but I was wondering if there's any new or especially worthwhile handicapping books that you liked and can recommend. I'm not a fan of some of the books that DRF Press has been churning out, especially those written by Watchmaker and Crist. And which ones did you hate?

Doc

In my opinion the best book by far was/is Barry Meadow's "Money Secrets At The Racetrack".....And another great one is Tom "Ainslie's Complete Guide To Thoroughbred Racing" :cool: