PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about converting audio files

trying2win
08-15-2005, 03:35 AM
If anyone has experience in the following areas, could you help me with some suggestions please? Would appreciate any help you can give me.

1. If I wanted to convert some music files on some of my old cassette tapes to a CD, can that done? If so, how? What kind of equipment and accessories would I need? What procedures would I need to follow then?

2. Also, is there a way of converting music or sound files on a cassette tape to an mp3 file format? If so how?

Thanks,

T2W

Pace Cap'n
08-15-2005, 06:28 AM
I have no personal experience with this, but some guys on another forum say it's the nuts. I think the standard edition for $11.95 would do what you want.

Sound Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com/)

gillenr
08-15-2005, 07:41 AM
6 years ago, I converted an audio CD track to be my Windows start-up sound with only W98 & whatever the software for my sound card was: it was nothing exotic.

Dave Schwartz
08-15-2005, 11:57 AM
I do this stuff all the time.

AT our house we have a "music server" that vends music via computer all over the house. Currently we've got about 800 albums on line.

So, let me take a crack at this...

1. If I wanted to convert some music files on some of my old cassette tapes to a CD, can that done? If so, how? What kind of equipment and accessories would I need? What procedures would I need to follow then?

2. Also, is there a way of converting music or sound files on a cassette tape to an mp3 file format? If so how?

To accomplish this all you need is a tape deck or player with headphone jack. You connect the headphone jack (which is stereo) to the line-in of your sound card.

(Note that using the line-out from your tape player will cause the output to be a two-cable deal, which you will then have to adapt to one cable, causing you to lose the stereo.)

You will also need a "wave recorder" of some kind. There are plenty of free or almost free ones out there. Check around and you'll find one that works for you.

Once they are in your computer, you will need a "wave converter." Again, there are plenty and some music softwares (such as Music Match) offer a conversion utility.

You will use this utility to convert the waves to mp3, wmf or something else. If you are going to play from your computer, the mp3 format is best as it keeps the file size to a minimum.

When you are ready to burn CDs, just select "create audio CD" and drag the mp3 files to the CD software. That software (Nero is excellent and free) will convert the mp3 to audio.

On the topic of computer stereos, I have a Klipsch system which was around $500 three years ago that just puts out awesome sound. But you really don't have to spend that much. Logitech has several excellent sound systems. Last year I bought a 2-speaker, sub-woofer system ($199 I think) for my kids that puts out enough sound to wake the neighbothood.

Finally, if you want to really do this right, start with the Audigy sound system from Creative. It has a plug for just about anything you'd want to plug into it. They come in a variety of price ranges, starting at about $150, with the higher end ones letting you plug in a complete recording studio (i.e. 8 instruments, etc.).

While the high end ones are a case of over-kill, the low end ones are not.

If you are going to do a lot of this, speed matters as well. Microsoft has plug-in for Media Player called Microsoft Plus! Digital Edition. It is about $20 on line and offers lots of conversion utilites. It runs very fast.

Hope this helps.

If you have more questions, send them along.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

trying2win
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
To Pace Cap'n, Gillenr, and Dave Schwartz,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll see what kind of progress I can make now.

T2W

JustRalph
08-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Dave you dog! I want an image of that Hard Drive!!!!!

trying2win
08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
It looks as though I'd need a microphone as part of the recording process. Where would one buy one of those? Maybe Radio Shack or ??? Anyone know how much they cost generally.?

Another question. I have a lot of LP's that I haven't played for awhile. I have several old LP players. Only problem is, I think one is broken completely, and the other two need a new needle. Do they still sell new LP players and/or the needles you need for them at a retail store, or do you have to go to a garage sale or flea market to find these kind of products?

Thanks,

T2W

Dave Schwartz
08-15-2005, 04:18 PM
No microphone. Just cables.

Dave Schwartz
08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Ralph,

Check your private messages.

Dave

gillenr
08-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Try Radio Shack for the needles, & they used to repair just about anything audio.

Tom
08-15-2005, 08:49 PM
It looks as though I'd need a microphone as part of the recording process. Where would one buy one of those? Maybe Radio Shack or ??? Anyone know how much they cost generally.?

Another question. I have a lot of LP's that I haven't played for awhile. I have several old LP players. Only problem is, I think one is broken completely, and the other two need a new needle. Do they still sell new LP players and/or the needles you need for them at a retail store, or do you have to go to a garage sale or flea market to find these kind of products?

Thanks,

T2W

I buy needle through the internet - will get you the url for the place.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=phonograph+needles&btnG=Search

Also, try

Turnabout
PO Box 1125
Athens, GA, 30603

I bought a bunch from them a while back (2000).

Tom
08-15-2005, 09:02 PM
If anyone has experience in the following areas, could you help me with some suggestions please? Would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

T2W

http://www.adstech.com/products/RDX-150/intro/RDX-150_intro1.asp?pid=RDX-150

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec071305.html

The second link is an article about the machine, the fisrt is the manufacturer's webpage about it.
I just ordered one for pick up this week at Circuit City.

trying2win
08-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Gillenr, Dave

Thanks for the additional tips.

Tom,

Thanks for the info as well.

--With all this info, and a then a little trial and error, I should be able to make some progress in this area. One of my biggest hopes, is to be able to convert some of my own cassette tape recordings of myself singing and strumming the acoustic guitar, and then converting the sound to an mp3 format. Reminds me of that old line..."They say I'm a good tenor, but hopefullly I'll be singing ten or twelve miles away"...LOL....

T2W

toetoe
08-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Tom,

How about belts, those rubber band-like things that drive the players?

Tom
08-15-2005, 10:12 PM
http://turnabout-records.com/

This the one from AThens, GA.

Tom
08-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Tom,

How about belts, those rubber band-like things that drive the players?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phonograph+belts&btnG=Google+Search

Dave Schwartz
08-15-2005, 10:38 PM
...One of my biggest hopes, is to be able to convert some of my own cassette tape recordings of myself singing and strumming the acoustic guitar, and then converting the sound to an mp3 format...

Ah, for that you get a MIDI-to-USB converter box (About $65.) and a cheap mixer board (about $75 at Radio Shack). You'll be amazed at the sound quality. (Uh, I am not guaranteeing the singing quality. <G>

Or, a cheaper solution - Get a "good" microphone for the computer (spend like $35 or so) or, better yet, get a high end mike for the tape player.

Of course you won't catch me singing or playing any musical instruments... I can barely play the radio.

Dave

Tom
08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Being the wise man that I am, I realized years ago that vinyl records would notlast and I converted my sizeable collection...to 8 Track! D'oh!

Now I have a question- I have a collection of Beta tapes and a Beta player that still works. Is there someting similar out there that I can convert Beta to computer files or DVD?

trying2win
08-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Tom,

Can you enlighten me regarding what beta tapes and beta players were used for and what they look like? I'm assuming it's for music only, but I could be wrong. I'm just curious. Did they follow the 8-track tape era?

As a side note, when I was much younger, I was a big fan of the music of the instrumental group named The Fireballs (and still am today). Anyone remember them? They had several hits in the late 1950's and into the 1960's. Most of their hits were instrumental with great guitar playing, but later on they added singer Jimmy Gilmer to their group to add his vocal talents. The Fireballs had hits like Torquay, Bulldog, Foot Patter, Dumbo, and El Ringo etc.

I sent a letter to the Norman Petty Studios in Clovis, New Mexico way back when, because I knew The Fireballs had recorded some of their music there. In the letter I asked if their recording studio could pass my request onto The Fireballs, asking them if they knew where I could purchase some of their old LP's. This was because after a few years, the albums were out-of-print and weren't available at the retail stores anymore. What a pleasant surprise, when I received a package in the mail awhile later. It was a reel-to-reel recording of a lot of The Fireballs hit songs. As I recall, the sender was George Tomsco, the lead guitarist of The Fireballs. What a great guy, to go out of his way to do that for one of his band's fans, eh?

I was able to play the reel-to-reel tape in the pre-cassette tape era, because I had a reel-to-reel tape player in those days. So the packaging of music in different formats, certainly has changed over the years.

T2W

JustRalph
08-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Being the wise man that I am, I realized years ago that vinyl records would notlast and I converted my sizeable collection...to 8 Track! D'oh!

Now I have a question- I have a collection of Beta tapes and a Beta player that still works. Is there someting similar out there that I can convert Beta to computer files or DVD?

it has an output for TV doesn't it? get a ATI All in Wonder card and pipe it into the computer. Then you can work with the files and put them on DVD etc......

After you are done with that project you can then tape the horse races from TVG right to your hard drive and burn them to disk.......etc........the sky is the limit. For the best quality......use a nice video capture card...........

BillW
08-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Tom,

Can you enlighten me regarding what beta tapes and beta players were used for and what they look like? I'm assuming it's for music only, but I could be wrong. I'm just curious. Did they follow the 8-track tape era?

T2W

T2W,

Beta is the original Sony Video Tape Format (higher quality and less popular than JVC's VHS format that won in the marketplace). In the consumer lexicon it is a VCR.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Videotape#Home_VCRs

Bill

JustRalph
08-16-2005, 04:27 PM

Man! I am getting old........some TV stations still use Beta for outdoor on the scene style stuff.......although most of them have changed to the new digital stuff....... I actually know a camera guy who says that they use the beta cams for weather cams now.........

http://www.student.oulu.fi/~tomilepp/pics/betamax.jpg

trying2win
08-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Ralph,

Thanks for enlightening me on the beta player. I've always used a VHS video recorder myself. I'm assuming that even though VHS video tapes and recorders may seem passe to some people now, wouldn't one still need those products in order to tape TV shows? I don't have a DVD player yet and even if I bought one, I don't know whether I could tape TV shows onto blank DVD disks.

T2W

JustRalph
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
sony to the rescue..........once again

http://store.yahoo.com/shopmiracle/sonyvrdvc10.html

trying2win
08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Ralph,

Thanks again for the tip. I didn't know such a product as a DVD recorder like that existed. I continue to be amazed by new technology products.

T2W