PDA

View Full Version : Fairplex No More

Lefty
05-24-2002, 08:35 PM
According to Gordon Jones this morn. it's a done deal. The Fairplex meet will not be run at the Fairplex County Fair but will instead be held at SA. Pity.

Dick Schmidt
05-25-2002, 02:32 AM
Lefty,

I knew FPX was gone, but I thought that the dates had been moved to Hollywood. SA makes more sense, so I figured that gave Hol the inside track, as it were. I suppose it it was on the radio, it must be true. Anyone hear any different?

Dick

Lefty
05-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Today Gordon says neither Hol or Sa wants the meet so now there's a big meeting set. I think the 6th of June, 'bout half asleep when he said it. May a not so done deal after all.

Dick Schmidt
05-25-2002, 05:29 PM
If they don't want those dates, I'll take them. I've got a big backyard.

What I really hope is that Del Mar gets them and extends its meet for 3 weeks. Second choice would be be adding them on to the Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita. The Oak Tree people do a lot of good for racing.

Dick

so.cal.fan
05-26-2002, 01:36 PM
I understand the CHRB is going to decide on this issue, June 6th
They can't switch the dates to Del Mar or Los Alamitos at this time, because these locations are not in L.A. County.
It is the State of Calif. LA County Fair dates.
Stay tuned.........

rrbauer
05-26-2002, 03:27 PM
To add to so.cal.fan's post.

This deal is a long way from done. There are several CHRB board members who are flat out opposed to the move and another that thinks it's too late to do it this year.

I'd be careful hanging my hat on what Gordon Jones says is "gospel". You might lose your hat....(not to mention your shirt if you bet his picks!).

Lefty
05-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Well, Gordon's info always good but only be as good as what's told him. He works the Fairplex meet as a commentator ya'know. And he's the only public selector I know of that posts his picks before the races everyday. They go up on the board at Sam's Town for all to monitor. Since he's had this gig at Sam's Town several years now I guess he must be doing something right.

rrbauer
05-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Lot's of public handicappers post their picks before the races. That's not the issue.
Credibility is the issue. Credibility as measured as how good are the picks...how good is the information that is being laid on the public. Ya know.

Lefty
05-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Well, RR, Gordon is very credible. Okay, if you don't like him but don't make statements of dislike without reason. Did Gordon gore your Ox?

alyingthief
05-28-2002, 04:33 AM
he gored MY ox.

Lefty
05-28-2002, 12:23 PM
ALT, care to explain how Gordon gored your Ox? He puts his picks out there every day, and while I don't follow him; like to do my own, thank you, people that do followhim ALL THE WAY do quite well. Those that try to pick and choose their days and races often get cght in the switches. So what's new? For what he is(a tout) Gordon about the most credible one out there. And that's my defense and my view of the man. If your view differs, so be it, but explanation would be nice.

so.cal.fan
05-28-2002, 12:44 PM
I understand that Fairplex is going to remain open as a training center and an off track wagering facility.
They just don't want to have a race meet, because they make no money out of it.