PDA

View Full Version : Bugler

highnote
08-10-2005, 11:21 PM
This might be of interest to those horse players who want to know everything about racing. This might add a little to the body of your racing knowledge.

http://www.trumpetlessons.net/bugle/index.html

lsbets
08-11-2005, 08:07 AM
"He holds the record for blowing the most calls to post in one day"

I'd be curious who the announcer is who owns the record for blowing the most calls to the wire in one day! :D

Suff
08-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Any record that involves the word "blowing" and "most" I am interested in hearing more about.
Does she have a Sister?

andicap
08-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Any record that involves the word "blowing" and "most" I am interested in hearing more about.
Does she have a Sister?

Great, Suff. Now we'll have the FBI and William Bennett after us....

Overlay
08-11-2005, 07:05 PM
I work at a military installation shared by the Army and Navy. I was walking past the Navy headquarters building the other day around 8:00 AM when they played a recording of "First Call" on the bugle over the public address system for the benefit of the uniformed personnel on post. I've worked as a Civil Service employee of the Army for 27 years, and I've followed racing for longer than that, and I guess I had always known on some level that the call to the post that's played before every race must have had its origins in the military, but I had never heard it played anywhere other than the track until that moment. My first thought when I heard the bugle was, "I'd better get to the window before the race starts." (Maybe this post would fit better in the "You know you've been playing the races too long when..." thread!)

toetoe
08-11-2005, 08:20 PM
That post, um ... sucked.