PDA

View Full Version : Travis at the Track - Bob Selvin

TravisVOX
08-05-2005, 08:08 PM
We're live tomorrow for the Whitney from 9-1030 AM and fellow board member Bob Selvin from Turfday.com will join with his horses to watch. I posted twice, it dissappeared, but he nailed some awesome horses with the list last weekend. Dutrow will also be on to talk about St. Liam as will Randy Romero and another fellow board member... Bob Schwartz! Racetrackradio.com is the site...!!

BillW
08-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Bob Schwartz!

DAVE Schwartz

... and you're worried about rep points, Dave? :kiss:

Dave Schwartz
08-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah, and I heard his other brother Dave was going to be on the show as well.

LOL- Travis, Travis... What am I going to do with you?

I haven't been Bob Schwartz since the greatest game of my Little League career. Yup. Hit two homers and some other guy got the credit for it.

Sigmund Schwartz

TravisVOX
08-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Hahahahaha... sorry about that Dave, or is it Bob? no just kidding, they were talking about a guy named Bob here in the office and I typed it without thinking. My apologies.

PaceAdvantage
08-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Actually, I moved your post to the appropriate forum...it didn't disappear.

I think you might be dangerously flirting with the "unauthorized advertising" rule around here...

It might be time to hire Andicap as my CEO. LOL

andicap
08-06-2005, 01:25 AM
PA,
Is Travis selling any ads for his show? If so, I'd let him post but demand a piece of his action. If he's not selling any ads I guess you could consider it a public service announcement. :)
Otherwise, they should all just buy an ad....

:D

Macdiarmadillo
08-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Hey Travis, you might put in a plug sometime for PA, shameless or subtle, I don't think it matters that much which way. :p It's not like I'm asking for a multicolor PA tat on Mary Lou Whitney or something like that.

To be shameless myself, I'll state it is a worthy show with a phenomenal guest list. Does this qualify me for payola? :jump: A lynching?

klynn52
08-06-2005, 06:46 AM
Dave: Is'nt it remarkable what we can remember from Little League. I remember a no hitter I was pitching. Frankie Stenelli hit a grounder through my legs, a dribbler. I can't remember my wedding though, could have been the bourbon, I guess. klynn

Dave Schwartz
08-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Klynn,

LOL - Oh, Little League was great, especially at the very end as I began to outgrow it. Size is a wonderful thing for a baseball player.

Hmmm... Now I have size, but it means something different. And I'm not hitting any homeruns.

Funny how there are still names that jump into my head... guys I played ball with at age 12. I certainly played with better players later on, including one future Yankee that I remained friends with for years (ironically until he stopped playing).

But the names I remember most are the ones that bring back those LL games.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

klynn52
08-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Dave: ironically, my catcher became a gynocologist! klynn

Dave Schwartz
08-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, he has had a longer career than Bucky Dent. <G>

toetoe
08-06-2005, 08:05 PM
klynn,

The black kids in Berkeley used to say "backcatcher" for catcher. We all knew what they meant, but it's like a language divide in the same city.

DOH, I'm such an "r" word, regardless of whether it's true.

andicap
08-06-2005, 10:35 PM
klynn,

The black kids in Berkeley used to say "backcatcher" for catcher. We all knew what they meant, but it's like a language divide in the same city.

DOH, I'm such an "r" word, regardless of whether it's true.

That's amazing because I played in an integrated Little League in Westchester County, NY, and some of the blacks kids said "backcatcher" as well.

And I still have the baseball from my 2-hitter pitching the championship game in 8th grade.

Speed Figure
08-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm black, and I still say backcatcher to this day. I guess it's a black thang. :lol:

toetoe
08-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Let's ask around and try to find out how far it goes back. That reminds me of another word -- ask, or ax, in Black Thanglish. Now, I always thought ax was incorrect, but I read years ago that way back in Middle English, they were already both in use, and both considered correct. Now, when I went to my credit union for a loan, I told the lady, "I want to ask for a loan."
"She laughed at me and said, "You want to 'ax' for a loan?"('Apply' is the verb.)
I thought, "I will sit here and take it. No use embarrassing her by mocking her bad English." I later read that it's NOT bad English.
The backcatcher thing may go WAY back. Also way back when in the U.S. were black baseball players, later banned at the insistence of Cap Anson, or one of those old Hall-Of-Famers. Ed Delahanty, maybe? And WAY WAY back, in colonial times, non-enslaved black folk. The Indian slaves were not working out, so the personnel departments sought fresh blood, kinda like the temp agencies here in Bakersfield.

PaceAdvantage
08-07-2005, 03:25 AM
This could be the biggest off-topic slide in the history of this board....some of you guys are way too good at killing threads and taking them off topic....please try and control yourselves.

Turfday
08-07-2005, 08:29 AM
I was going to chime in about that big hit I got against the Reds....

rrbauer
08-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Williamsport 1952

keilan
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Rich that would make you about 12 -- sumbitch :)

Very cool thread, I love this stuff -- wish I had to pictures to share

andicap
08-07-2005, 12:30 PM
take it off-topic if you must,PA -- this is too much fun.

It WAS Cap Anson who insisted that blacks be banned from baseball in the 1880s after Moses "Fleetwood" Walker caught in the National League. (or the National Association it might have been called then.)

(Speaking of high-school espcapes -- my claim to fame is as a baseball trivia expert at the age of 14 or 15 on the old Jack Spector sports talk show on WMCA in NYC. As "Mr. Baseball" I answered trivia questions in the studio from callers and was stumped only on stuff trivia experts consider "minutiae," that is too minor to be termed real trivia. I've forgotten most of the stuff, but still remain a huge fan of baseball history, just not memorizing stats anymore. I can still tell you who won almost every World Series since 1903. Once i could tell you who won every game and the winning/losing pitcher. Talk about useless knowledge!)

John McGraw tried to smuggle a black ballplayer oto the NY Giants in the early 20th century by insisting he was Cuban, but no one bought it.

I used to love reading who the biggest racists were when Jackie Robinson came up. Baseball is such a southern sport -- more warm weather to play it year-round -- that lots of major leaguers were from the South in the 40s. (Of course even Northerners were pretty racist back then but not as much and usually more subtly).
Enos Slaugther was one of the worst -- threatened not to play --- as was Ben Chapman, a pretty good hitter on the Phillies (and an ex-Yankee). And some of the southern Dodgers themselves.

But Robinson had a huge champion in Pee Wee Reese, himself a southerner (Kentucky I believe) who befriended his double-play partner and played a huge role in his acceptance and those of Don Newcombe, Roy Campanellam Joe Black and the others who came afterward on the Dodgers.

Of course Ty Cobb was one of the biggest racists in history as was Kennesaw Mountain Landis the commissioner from 1920-45 or so. Landis kept blacks out of the game.

It was Happy Chandler's refusal to interfere with Rickey's plan that also helped kill the color line and BTW led to the owners refusing to re-elect him in that spot in 1948. Chandler BTW was also a southerner, a former governor of Kentucky. Kentucky really stood tall in the 40s in baseball.

I could on for hours on this stuff --- :cool: :cool:

lsbets
08-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Speaking of baseball history, one of my favorite things to watch is Ken Burns' Baseball. I watch it at least once a year.

I remember as a kid I used to grab my Dad's paper every morning and read the box scores while I ate breakfast. My Dad used to tell people how I knew everyone's average on the Yankees everyday. I think that's a part of the reason I got into horseracing - instead of boxscores, now I have PPs. For a true baseball junkie, there is something wonderful about the seemingly infinite statistics.

rrbauer
08-07-2005, 05:53 PM
andicap wrote:
"But Robinson had a huge champion in Pee Wee Reese, himself a southerner (Kentucky I believe) who befriended his double-play partner and played a huge role in his acceptance and those of Don Newcombe, Roy Campanellam Joe Black and the others who came afterward on the Dodgers."

Comment:
Harold "Pee Wee" Reese. Shortstop for the Louisville Colonels before making the Big Show. Think he might of been Bo Sox property at one time.

Tom
08-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Is there something wrong with the archives? I could listen to them the other day, but tonight, none of them work - I get error messges that say the links do not work. Anyone else having this problem?

Steve 'StatMan'
08-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Sorry to stay off-topic, but I think I have an idea of how the term 'backcatcher' began. In the early days of baseball, the umpire stood behind the pitcher, not the catcher. The catcher stood well back from home plate and perhaps was even catching the pitches on the bounce. This was back in the days when stealing bases was considered "very un-gentlemanly".

Catchers eventually moved behind the plate, directly behind the plate and the batter, and that new style might have been called 'back catcher' because they were up close, right in back of the plate. Not sure if the catcher moved because the umpires moved, or if the umpires moved because the catchers already moved. I'm guessing the catchers moved up to catch the pitches sooner and on the fly so as to have a better chance to throw out the ever-increasing number of runners trying to steal a base.

Figman
08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Tom, You have to listen in the a.m. Never mind the archives.

Bob Selvin's winners today at Monmouth were NETWORK in the 2nd race at $9.00 and LOVE MATCH in the 11th (The Matchmaker Stakes) at $56.60!

CapperLou
08-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Figman:

I did not look at earlier part of this thread--but how do you get these Saturday broadcasts if one is in florida or nevada? I like Bob's work on turf horses.

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. Did not play Mth over weekend!

BillW
08-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Figman:

I did not look at earlier part of this thread--but how do you get these Saturday broadcasts if one is in florida or nevada? I like Bob's work on turf horses.

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. Did not play Mth over weekend!

CapperLou,

It's an internet broadcast :). See the first post in this thread for the address.

Bill

CapperLou
08-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks BillW--appreciate it. Will get info now.

BillW
08-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks BillW--appreciate it. Will get info now.

CapperLou - I screwed up by being lazy. The address is not the first post in this thread (it was in another thread :blush: )

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21433&page=3&pp=10

Sorry 'bout that,

Bill

Tom
08-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I have to assume that are no archives?

Not a one of them works. They did once, but no more - WMP says it cannot find the files. Listenining live is completely out of the question.
Count me amoung the no longer interested. this is too much a waste of time.

Frankly the only thing I wanted to hear was Dave's overlay presentaiton
:mad:

BillW
08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
I have to assume that are no archives?

Not a one of them works. They did once, but no more - WMP says it cannot find the files. Listenining live is completely out of the question.
Count me amoung the no longer interested. this is too much a waste of time.

Frankly the only thing I wanted to hear was Dave's overlay presentaiton
:mad:

It's working OK here (and I'm not even using windows :eek: ). Which date was Dave's latest appearance? Last Sat.?

Tom
08-08-2005, 09:35 PM
The 31st.

It is not the site - is the POS XP once again. I have no media capabilities whatsoever - AGAIN! No Youbet, No BrisBet video, no nothing that uses WMP or Real Player.
everytning worked fine lst week, no noting works. This is the trademark of Microshit products.
This time, I am not going to even bother trying to fix it. I am not going to waste anymore time on this whole damn MS and internet crap. what a total wasste of time.
As far as I am concerned, I am off the freakin net for good. And Off studpid computers as well. :mad:

I just downloaded WMP10 and when I try to play it, the stupid computer says Ineed versioon 7 or higher to play the file - DUH! I just installed 10. I have wasted enough time on computers and the internet. Good ridence to both!

Bubbles
08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
The archives are working just fine for me. Quick note for those that listened today: I was the Dwango caller that got on the air maybe ten minutes before the broadcast ended. :D

Tom
08-08-2005, 10:29 PM
I uninstalled WMP 10 and reloaded 9 , then uninstalled my new Lexmark printer and most tings work again, including Travis stuff. Real Player files are lost, so no more Siro's (Why does DRF use this crappy player anyway?)

What a reliable system Xp is - add a printer, lose everyting else - update a program, lose everything. Sheeez, what crap.

You go to MS, and it says WMP 10 is for XP, but won't work on it. It says WMP 9 is for 98SE, but it works on XP. What do you expect from a system that makes you click on Start to shut down!

No more tirade tonight - too tired after wasting another whole damn night and getting nothing done agian on this wonderful POS system.:mad:

BillW
08-08-2005, 11:02 PM
I found it all OK - Sat. 8/6 (The 7/31 show was the first one) - now all I need is a fast forward button. :)

turfbar
08-10-2005, 08:10 PM
OMG the radio broadcast was great,last saturday. Enjoyed it tremendously
fine job Travis very fast hour and a half guest were awesome, insightful, what can I say can't wait for the next edition.

Tom
08-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Got working.

Travis - :ThmbUp: Excellant production.
Love that Bob Schwartz - he is always entertianing!;)

Figman
08-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Is Bob Schwartz Barry Schwartz's brother?

Dave Schwartz
08-10-2005, 11:00 PM
No, actually his other brother.

BillW
08-10-2005, 11:08 PM
No, actually his other brother.

Dammit, I'm all confused now, which one is the evil twin :confused:

andicap
08-11-2005, 05:24 AM
The only thing I can add is ...

LET THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU !!!!

:p :p