PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with Baseball

so.cal.fan
08-05-2005, 12:34 PM
My husband WAS an avid baseball fan.....just as he was an avid horseracing fan, all his long life.
He was/is in several fantasy baseball leagues. He used to watch games every day. He now has lost interest in MLB....due to these drug scandals.
He has lost interest in horseracing....due to these drug scandals.
It's really sad that a lifelong sports fan like him......has lost interest in these once great pastimes.

GameTheory
08-05-2005, 12:56 PM
My husband WAS an avid baseball fan.....just as he was an avid horseracing fan, all his long life.
He was/is in several fantasy baseball leagues. He used to watch games every day. He now has lost interest in MLB....due to these drug scandals.
He has lost interest in horseracing....due to these drug scandals.
It's really sad that a lifelong sports fan like him......has lost interest in these once great pastimes.I lost interest in baseball about 10 years ago due to the drugs and the non-parity between teams (no revenue sharing). My interest is now starting to come back since they are actually doing something about the drugs these days. It was more of a scandal when everyone was pretending the problem didn't exist.

Still, when you can win simply because you can spend more than the other guys, I don't know why you'd be a fan. For instance, I honestly can't figure out why anyone would have been a Yankees fan for the last decade or so -- is it really fun to root for a team that has a grossly unfair advantage? If you take the sport out of the sport, it just isn't interesting anymore...

BillW
08-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Still, when you can win simply because you can spend more than the other guys, I don't know why you'd be a fan. For instance, I honestly can't figure out why anyone would have been a Yankees fan for the last decade or so -- is it really fun to root for a team that has a grossly unfair advantage? If you take the sport out of the sport, it just isn't interesting anymore...

Being from Pttsburgh I see the extreme of this. The Pirates played a 3 game series in Yankee stadium earlier this year. In each of the 3 games the Yankee starting pitcher could pay the salary of the whole Pirate lineup out of his paycheck (the "AL lineup" - 10 players, including the DH) and still have enough money left over to live comfortably.

Bill

Dave Schwartz
08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
And yet in spite of the obvious salary inequities, the Yankees don't win every year.

Personally, I have always been a Yankee fan, back to my boyhood (and trust me, that was a long time ago). I think that many of us still root for "the teams of our youth."

In spite of "rooting for the Yankees," I cannot root for Steinbrenner. In fact, there are many people in baseball I cannot root for: example - Barry Bonds is an embarrassment; a picture of a man without humility.

I was just reading a Roger Kahn story about Babe Ruth. Apparently The Babe was a selfish, self-centered jerk... but what a character! And he had a big heart for kids.

But such is the world we live in.

Regards to all,
Dave Schwartz

PaceAdvantage
08-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Still, when you can win simply because you can spend more than the other guys, I don't know why you'd be a fan. For instance, I honestly can't figure out why anyone would have been a Yankees fan for the last decade or so -- is it really fun to root for a team that has a grossly unfair advantage?

It makes up for the all the years the Yankees SUCKED during the 80s and most of the 90s....

What happened during those years? Did George run out of money?

Binder
08-05-2005, 04:23 PM
I gave up on baseball a few years ago
Here in Northern New Jersey You better be a Yankee fan or feel very left out.. I'm a SF Giants fan and my hero was Barry but screw him
he broke my heart Were are you Stretch McCovy??

Now I just wait for football

kenwoodallpromos
08-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I am a fair weather fan of the SF and Oakland bay area teams.