PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm weird !!!

dav4463
08-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Am I weird ? I love getting all the flyers, postcards, emails, etc. touting the new latest greatest racing system ! RPM, Powers, Console, Hurley, Sturgeon, Pizzolla, Pope, etc,, etc... I really enjoy reading all of them and just for one minute or two....just dream !!! What if it really works ? What if the Coffee Break Millionaire makes me a million dollars? If I have extra income, I even buy one every once in a while and see if I can use anything out of it. I think these guys are great !!! They add to the "seedy atmosphere" that is SUPPOSED to accompany the racetrack ! I hate the new family oriented atmosphere that the tracks want to present. Hey, It's Gambling !!! It should be seedy ! I want the track to smell like stale beer, discarded cigars, and horse poop ! I want a scary looking man outside the track calling me over and offering up his tout sheet for only $2 with yesterday's results penciled in showing how he hit 6 winners for monster profits ! I don't have to believe him, but I think it's kind of cool ! Keep those flyers coming,,, I may not buy it , but I like to read it....and justthink "what if ?".........before I go back to regular handicapping and try to grind out a profit.

kenwoodallpromos
08-05-2005, 01:56 AM
I get most of my ideas from bits and pieces of others so go for it!

andicap
08-05-2005, 11:19 AM
I love reading the stuff too because it's so over the top, it's just fun. I won't buy anything from these people (anymore -- I'll admit to succumbing in the past. Even Andy Beyer admitted he bought one in his youth.), but they are very funny.
And once in a while there is a legit product out there I might want to try. Something that gives me information rather than "winners." For example I get all the City Miner stuff for the Mike Helm breeding books.

kenwoodallpromos
08-05-2005, 12:15 PM
That Helm biik has afew few good things about track bias and/or speed.

NoDayJob
08-05-2005, 05:20 PM
I hate the new family oriented atmosphere that the tracks want to present. Hey, It's Gambling !!! It should be seedy ! I want the track to smell like stale beer, discarded cigars, and horse poop ! I want a scary looking man outside the track calling me over and offering up his tout sheet for only $2 with yesterday's results penciled in showing how he hit 6 winners for monster profits ! I don't have to believe him, but I think it's kind of cool ! Keep those flyers coming,,, I may not buy it , but I like to read it....and justthink "what if ?".........before I go back to regular handicapping and try to grind out a profit.

The tracks, in order to survive, have to follow what other gaming [gambling] enterprises have found works. You want Ma, Pa and the Kids. Keep the kids around, then it's not gambling, it's entertainment. That way you can extract maximum $$$, and expose the kids to gambling. It's marketing to the next generation too. Hey, gambling is a business that's being repackaged as entertainment. You are being entertained reading the flyers promising great wealth with little effort. Just think, it ain't costing you zip either, i.e., unless you fall for their line.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

Tom
08-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Yeah, NDJ, Ma would never go to the track, sit out in the sunshine, watch majestic thoroughbreds races, and maybe be a few bucks. That's gambling.

But let her sit at a picnin table, cook hot dogs, scream at the kids all day, and suddenly it's a family outing! LOL!

I prefer to hang out with the cigar smoking, plaid jacket, hat wearing, guys cusing and swearing all day.

NoDayJob
08-06-2005, 01:58 PM
I prefer to hang out with the cigar smoking, plaid jacket, hat wearing, guys cusing and swearing all day.

Competition sets the mark. Why do we need slots at the track along with family entertainment? Used to be everyone who wanted to gamble either went to the track or played the numbers. Times have changed and thoroughbred racing is trying to catch up. However, they seem to have two speeds--- slow and stop. Let's hope they finally figure it out.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

Figman
09-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Beyer remains the "king!" He is good at "picking winners" but even more important, he knows how to wager.

And why does Crist get the title as a pick six guru. Yesterday, September 2nd at Saratoga there was one winner of the $178,000 pick six payout. It was none other than Andrew Beyer! And it certainly wasn't his first sizeable win.

Overlay
09-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Every so often, I'll see a solicitation that doesn't drown in hyperbole, and that presents enough information about its approach to indicate that it's built around handicapping reality, employs sound reasoning, and deals in fundamental factors rather than isolated "pick-the-winner" angles, so that it won't lose its effectiveness with time and increased play. Those are the products that are likeliest to get my attention (and business).

xfile
09-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Beyer remains the "king!" He is good at "picking winners" but even more important, he knows how to wager.

And why does Crist get the title as a pick six guru. Yesterday, September 2nd at Saratoga there was one winner of the $178,000 pick six payout. It was none other than Andrew Beyer! And it certainly wasn't his first sizeable win.

But when Beyer makes his picks on drf chat specials you normally need a search party to find his horse....lol:D

keenang
09-04-2005, 04:52 PM
DAVE;
GREAT POST. THATS WHAT I MISS MOST SINCE LEAVING LAS VEGAS. THE GUYS YOU WOULD MEET IN THE RACE BOOKS. YEARS AGO I SAT NEXT TO JACK GLUGMAN (SP.) IN THE OLD SANTA ANITA BOOK AND HE WAS JUST LIKE THE REST OF US GUYS EXCEPT HE BET A LITTLE MORE EACH RACE THEN WE DID.
GENE

dav4463
09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
I just love the shady characters you could find around a horse track in my Dad's time ! I was watching an old episode of Sanford and Son, got a kick out of Lamont telling Aunt Esther...."he went to the track !"..she says "that old heathen !"......Jack Klugman worked it into the Odd Couple as well, remember when he would be listening to the races on the radio and Felix just couldn't understand it ! ?