PDA

View Full Version : Worst Del Mar Card Ever?

Whirlaway
08-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Thursday's card takes the cake. Four maiden claiming races and the other four have a grand total of 23 horses entered. Ah, the joys of six day a week racing.

On the other hand, it makes handicapping very easy. Here's my method: 1) open trash can lid. 2) insert pp's. 3) put golf clubs in trunk.

so.cal.fan
08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
:D Gee, someone else noticed as well??? :D :bang:

freeneasy
08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
iam going to bet an ex. parlay in the 6th with a 5/6 box to the 7th with a 2/5 box. if it wins i win and it aint gonna be all that much, hey whatever, if it loses then i sure as hell aint gonna lose that much either. looks like its worth a flyer.

bettheoverlay
08-04-2005, 12:51 PM
The last 4 don't look too bad, gotta P4 I'm looking forward to betting.

If you are looking for bigger fields on weekdays, check out Ellis and Louisiana Downs, cheaper but some good payouts.

Turfday
08-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Yep, I did, too. A real snoozer.

so.cal.fan
08-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Enjoy the beach or a golf game today, Bob :D

GeTydOn
08-04-2005, 03:39 PM
All these complaints about cards lately. UGH. What are tracks supposed to do? Pull horses out of their asses? Races can't be filled if there ain't horses to fill em.

:bang: :rolleyes: :bang: :rolleyes:

Niko
08-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Let's see...fewer races....less race days. I don't see it happening because I don't believe it adds to their bottom line..that extra race or day isn't made up by more being bet on bigger fields

so.cal.fan
08-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Oh get real, Niko!
They will never do that because it MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE!
:bang:

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Let's see...fewer races....less race days.

CA went to fewer races, less days, years ago, and it really didn't help much. Field sizes are still small during Santa Anita and Hollywood....not to mention Northern California...

so.cal.fan
08-04-2005, 05:19 PM
PA?
What are you referring to?
We have not had less racing dates since the 1960's. We then had 55 days at Santa Anita and 55 days at Hollywood and 43 days at Del Mar and 17 days at Fairplex Park. Los Alamitos did not card races for TBs.
Back in the days of less racing dates we DID have larger fields to be sure.
It was a long time ago, but I remember.

Speed Figure
08-04-2005, 05:44 PM
A $54 winner on the worst card ever! :rolleyes:

michiken
08-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I am becoming a big fan of the racino type tracks ala Mountaineer, Evangeline, Charles Town just because of the big fields. Since speed ratings are bet down so much there, it is sometimes easy to find a good price. Sure beats a Delmar Dud Day!

kev
08-04-2005, 06:12 PM
I like the size of the stake races both sar. and drm. is having. Looks like this weekend might be a little better. It would seem like more of the the little G3 horse might be trying to get in these G1 races just cause of that, fewer horses. Come BC day no one backs down from anyone that day, seems like.

toetoe
08-04-2005, 06:48 PM
My main issue with DM is that it's so hectic, so crowded. There must be a place, close to machines, that is relatively quiet.

so.cal.fan
08-04-2005, 09:56 PM
You should have gone today, Toetoe....I'll bet there weren't two dead flies there!
Usually on weekdays....in the clubhouse, ground floor at the far end towards the racing offices....there are machines and it is quiet...you can go to the paddock look at horses....walk over there, go out on the apron....look at the horses again and bet at machines with relative ease....usually.

PaceAdvantage
08-05-2005, 01:07 AM
PA?
What are you referring to?
We have not had less racing dates since the 1960's. We then had 55 days at Santa Anita and 55 days at Hollywood and 43 days at Del Mar and 17 days at Fairplex Park. Los Alamitos did not card races for TBs.
Back in the days of less racing dates we DID have larger fields to be sure.
It was a long time ago, but I remember.

You guys didn't cut back from 6 to 5 days a week like NYRA (expect for Saratoga)? I thought you did, along with going from 9 races to 8 races on weekdays.

DJofSD
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
My main issue with DM is that it's so hectic, so crowded. There must be a place, close to machines, that is relatively quiet.

As SoCalFan already suggested, the club house is where you want to be. There's a number of places where you can find a quiet spot.

Besides, the better handicappers are there :D

DJofSD

so.cal.fan
08-05-2005, 12:27 PM
PA
We never had 6 days a week racing. We used to have Tuesday thru Sat....no Sunday racing.
Del Mar had 6 days for their 43 day meet.
Fairplex raced everyday for their 14 day meet....which interestingly they are going back to 14 days....but will be dark on Tuesdays now...starting this meet.
We dropped back to 8 races Wed. Thurs. Friday....however, they make up for it on weekends with the MINIMUM of 9 races, often 10 races and sometimes even 11!
They started sneaking in 6 day weeks on these phoney Monday holidays.
It seems they would be happy, just as NYRA is....to race everyday....never even let the seats cool off.
Trouble is, the grandstands have gotten very empty most everywhere.
There is too many other activities for people in this information age, my husband, a life long horseplayer...now wagers FAR more money in Texas Hold Em poker games in Las Vegas than on his horse race bets.
He goes to Las Vegas at least 4 times a year for 3, 4 or 5 days.....plays at fairly large stake tables and now enjoys this form of gambling above horseracing. It's sad.....because how many more of you guys are doing the same thing? My guess is more than a few.
Sorry to get off topic here, PA.....but perhaps even less days would not be the answer....perhaps there is no answer :(