I wish him the best.

turfbar
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=56471&subsec=2

I wish him the best.

OMG My dreams have come true

rokitman
08-03-2005, 10:45 AM
And, if Pat Day retiring was not enough of a blessing, Jenna Wheeler is now single!

Valuist
08-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah 8800 wins is really lousy. :confused:

JimG
08-03-2005, 10:58 AM
And, if Pat Day retiring was not enough of a blessing, Jenna Wheeler is now single!

Yeah Jenna's (one of the Buehlah Twins) husband just died in a tragic motorocycle incident leaving her without a husband and their child without a father. I'm sure right now she is looking to hook up with you.:mad:

Wiley
08-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Man a tough crowd. I will miss Pat and wish him well. The guy owned the IL, KY, AR, LA midwest circuit in the '80's. Had his trouble's in the Derby which was always weird given how often he won the riding title at CD, one win in over 20 tries but so have others, Pincay comes to mind. I would say he held his own on the national level but since he never raced extensively on the east and west coasts, at least full time for many years like others, he will never be rated with McCarron, Pincay, Shoemaker, Arcaro, Cordero, Bailey etc.
Favorite ride(s) '84 Wild Again win in the New Orleans Handicap (to this day have never seen a rider get into a horse the way Day did WA to get up for the win think like Tanks Prospect's Preakness only more) and the BC Classic where he had to virtually carry the dying WA to the wire. '87 Travers on Java Gold - beat all of the big boys in a stellar field with a well timed patient ride.

Topcat
08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=56471&subsec=2

I wish him the best.

I also wish him well-over 8,000 wins and now he is not retiring to
a life of leisure but is going to work with the backstretch chaplains-and that is tough gig

quite a rider and quite a guy-

SAL
08-03-2005, 04:05 PM
I can't figure out why Pat Day was so despised by so many people. I saw some great rides from him (as well as as some stinkers). But I think he was an excellent rider and I wish him well with his new vocation.

chrisg
08-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Best wishes to Pat Day; hope life only gets better.

Now, would someone please introduce Jose Santos to God :lol:

CryingForTheHorses
08-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Another "Big" loss to the racing world,Was a outstanding rider over the years,Was respected and sought after to ride by many horsemen.Racing fans will miss his coveted finishes and horsemen will miss his love for the horse, Pat is a very unselfish man wanting to help the backstretch ministry with getting the lives of many a backstretcher on the path of righteoustness.Good luck Pat...God Bless You!

JustRalph
08-03-2005, 06:13 PM

Real class.......:ThmbDown:

The local television stations showed his body covered with a sheet laying in the break down lane, at least a hundred times Monday afternoon and again last night. The freeway was shut down for the entire morning. One of the guys who work for me said that he was passed by him on the freeway about a mile from where he crashed. he said that the biker was weaving thru morning rush hour at 80-100 miles an hour. He rear ended a Dump Truck ........damn shame.

JustRalph
08-03-2005, 06:19 PM
On the topic................ With Pat Day gone........does my autograph picture from the Haskell in 2003 go up in value? :D

I would think that the odds board will be directly affected (is that the right one?) by Day being retired...........

joeyspicks
08-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I'll miss Pat Day..

He was one of the good ones (in every sense). He most certainly could tick you off if you thought he "waited too long":lol: on your horse.....but day in and day out he gave a consistently good ride.

Racing could certainly use more like him!:ThmbUp:

kenwoodallpromos
08-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Going from the sport of kings to the "king of kings"! Honorable.
Now for the joke: maybe with Day and later Bailey retired, we can have a TC winning horse again!

Suff
08-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Pat Day:ThmbUp: . Big Time serious guy about helping people.....His backside missionary has helped many. He's ridden everywhere in support of it. He's a guy who had a monstrous transformation through Jesus Christ. Great example of a Christian.

I razzed him last year.. honestly not bad if you ask me. Storm C was there... it was minor... Can't win in NY...When you going to win a big one? Day called security!!! Not in a big way.. he asked a gaurd to ask me to pipe down. By that time I had been talking to the Gaurd for two hours. All Baseball. He thought it was funny to.

I guess that's not how they do it in Kentucky. When I razz you.. I like you. I don't razz Jara. Funnier even... 3 weeks later I took this picture with him in the Jockeys room at Saratoga!

http://www.paceadvantage.com/gallery/2004_PaceAdvantage_Saratoga_Getaway/P0001581

I heard through the grapvine that Day called NYRA and said if SUFF is allowed back at Saratoga He'll boycott and retire!. So I can only say one thing. Enjoy your Retirement Pat! Don't mess with the KING!:lol:

JustRalph
08-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Great Pic Suff..........!

schweitz
08-03-2005, 10:58 PM
One of the best jockeys ever---always caused me wagering problems in his prime---if you liked the horse he was on, it was usually overbet---and if you didn't like the horse he was on , it was still overbet and he would usually win anyway. :bang:

DanG
08-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Pat Day,

Fit many horses like a glove. Horses that thrived on a gentle touch in their mouth. Easy Goer however, was not that horse…Great rider yes…but not for every horse.

When Easy Goer midway through his 3yo year became a man he needed a man’s touch.

It was difficult to watch a superior animal ridden by the wrong man.

I wish Pat all the best, he is obviously a great rider and even a better human being, but, the sting of his rides on Easy Goer will always leave a mark…

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2005, 12:41 AM

You are one cold POS.

NoDayJob
08-04-2005, 04:09 AM
Living Large and Stepping Easy!

:D Shouldn't that be ---

Naturally enhanced, swelling with pride? :D

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

turfbar
08-04-2005, 09:18 AM
3-5 Pat Day how many 3-5's did he go south with
so glad he is gone. Got every 'Cherry " mount in Kentucky.
I met him in a Saratoga restaurant, in town to ride Vanlandingham
I was with my kids (3 boys) they asked for his autograph and he refused them
What a creep.
Turfbar

Valuist
08-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Outside of Shoemaker, I can't think of anyone who was "born to ride" more than Day. Never had a problem making weight and nobody looked smoother on a horse. Nothing is more frustrating than when you try to beat him and watch your horse get on even terms or pass Day's horse in the stretch....only to have him come back on you and win in a photo. Seen that many, many times.

midnight
08-04-2005, 11:33 AM

That is so classless that it doesn't deserve further comment.

CryingForTheHorses
08-04-2005, 02:28 PM
What a creep.
Turfbar

Not to get off topic but I had to respond to this "Gutless" post
My dear friend I find what you are saying very hard to believe,Pat was a good guy and just because he didnt give you what you wanted for your boys doesnt make this man a creep..Maybe you were the creep, Bothering him while he had dinner, Maybe you are just saying this to make yourself look big,Whatever, If you cant say something nice about the man then please dont post..In all the years that I have known him and his sister Debbie, I have never ever saw him refuse a autograph to anyone!

Buckeye
08-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Pay Day,

the man has ice water in his veins.

I could see it in his eyes.

While I'm here, might as well say this, MP don't. :)

frankfig
08-04-2005, 06:54 PM
I cant believe all the negative talk about Mr Day. The racetrack is full of backstabbing low lifes and this man was one of the best people i ever met at the track. As far as his riding goes i cant say i have seen many better. He had great hands and could get any horse to relax for him without fighting his mount to settle down. He was a GREAT front end rider. People forget all the upsets in major races he won on the lead with longshots. I think jockeys are WAY overrated , but you have to give this man his do ! Good luck and GOD BLESS, PAT

gurulj
08-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Amen Frank. Mr. Day was a class act. He'll be mised by all; except
the jockeys that are still riding. Im sure they're saying, "Hip Hip Horay!"
I've watched him many times win with a horse I gave no chance. Even
though he cost me money many times I could not help but marvel at
the man's ability to handle almost any horse and get it to give its best.
Good luck Mr. Day and God bless.

Jerry :rolleyes: :ThmbUp:

turfbar
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Excuse me Mcshell
the post wasn't gutless and my gawd it happened 20 some years
ago, get it thats why I said Vandlandanham,think he finished up the track in
The Whitney, so im trying to prove to you that my recall is pretty good, and he wasn't eating dinner, I wouldn't be that rude, and my boys asked him for his autograph ,not me, he turned them down, not me, I am just retelling said story
as it was. Why would I lie? Perception is Reality.

Turfbar

Tom
08-04-2005, 09:10 PM
What a creep.
Turfbar

Is there anyhting better than a 3-5 you know will probably get beat? Man, I love a jock I can throw out on favorites.

toetoe
08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I guess you're remembered for the no-can-lose types that you lose on, and not for the no-hopers you win with. I must say I cashed on Pat (Foreveranda) Day in arguably the worst Belmont Stakes ever. A DWL horse named Commendation(?), WHY-yer to wire.

Contemptible?
Consolidator?
Commandeering? ... Whatever.

cnollfan
08-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Commendable. I had him too. Actually Hugh Hefner was the pacesetter, but he could not go the distance. Commendable tracked Hugh, then took over and held off the "closers" in what most say was the worst Belmont ever, but not to us, ToeToe!

Topcat
08-05-2005, 02:51 AM
[QUOTE=turfbar]Excuse me Mcshell
the post wasn't gutless and my gawd it happened 20 some years
ago, get it thats why I said Vandlandanham,think he finished up the track in
The Whitney, so im trying to prove to you that my recall is pretty good, and he wasn't eating dinner, I wouldn't be that rude, and my boys asked him for his autograph ,not me, he turned them down, not me, I am just retelling said story
as it was. Why would I lie? Perception is Reality.

Turfbar[/QUOTE

McSchell and you may both be right.

Pat Day will tell you that he was involved in drugs and alchohol and I believe that was about the time you are talking about. He became a Christian sometime later in the 80s and that is when he turned his life around.

While any father would feel like you did- I would hope you'd be able to tell your sons that a man should not be type cast his entire life for one mistake, especially when he's shown different behavior.

Geez I've seen him stand there for the longest time signing autograph after autograph.

LutherCalvin
08-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I remember meeting Pat Day at a handicapping seminar in the 1970s. He was a polite and incredibly gracious person who signed an autograph for me. (He is left handed). I remember his response to a question, "Is there any jockey who you especially enjoy beating in a race." He smiled and answered, "Whoever is riding the second place horse." Pat was well respected for his ability to get maximum effort from a horse without punishing the horse with the whip. He was a patient rider and seemed to have an uncanny sense when to make his move during the race. He was a great ambassador for thoroughbred horse racing and he will be missed.