PDA

View Full Version : Bush can play thier game better than they can!

Tom
08-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Give the guy credit where it is due - he walked into the Senate chamber today and bitch slapped the libs around when he made a recess appointment.
Now, I don't know how I can keep a straight face when I watch Senator Dodd - that miserable excuse for a senator - up there whinning, almopst crying like a little baby over this. He forgets several facts:

1. Bush has the legal right to do this.
2. The libs had a chance to prevent the appointment by allowing a vote
3. They got cute with the filibusters, and got bit.

If I were Bush, I would stack the courts while the fools from the hill are out fishing.

Now, Bolton can go to the UN and bitch slap Kafi around - that little punk has usurped powers never intended for the Secretary General, Bolton is the guy to take that cretin down a few pegs ( and maybe get him indicted to boot).

Europe should pay attention - this guy is serving with the full support of the president, and that gives him a postion of power not enjopyed by other ambassadors in recent years.

I don't agree with a lot of what Bush does, but give him credit - unlike the liberal dems in DC, this guy is a man of action, not whines.
The libs like to make jokes about him being a bit slow menatally, but he is the one smiling all the time, seeing his agenda get fullfilled while the libs are generally seen on TV whining. Gee, they got beat again. Howsdatappen?

Go get 'em, killer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

boxcar
08-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Tom wrote:

Give the guy credit where it is due - he walked into the Senate chamber today and bitch slapped the libs around when he made a recess appointment.
Now, I don't know how I can keep a straight face when I watch Senator Dodd - that miserable excuse for a senator - up there whinning, almopst crying like a little baby over this. He forgets several facts:

1. Bush has the legal right to do this.

Ahh...so someone else besides me took notice of this move, also. :)

What's really, really funny is that you're on the mark on this: Bush had the Consititutional (or as you said, "legal") right to make this recess appointment, but the first thing out of Dodd's mouth is that Bush "abused his power" by making this kind of appointment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Can't win fer losin' with a Lib. Even when a "conservative" plays by the rulebook, it's still an abuse of power.

Boxcar

Secretariat
08-02-2005, 03:01 AM
lol...Tom, the vote on Bolton could have been brought up by the MAJORITY at any time. It was a MAJORITY Republican committee that brought him to the floor with a "No Recommendation" because they couldn't get it out of hearing with a recommendation. Republicans Chafee and Voinovich has spoken out against Bolton. Feel free to make it a left-right issue. You need to look at how many Republicans felt about Bolton as well.

It shows how weak Bush's actions are: if in fact he went to the Seante chamber when they are in recess and "bitch slapped" the people there, I guess he must have bitch-slapped aides, and security and vistors since the Senate was in recess. Nothing like a totalitarian state where a man who can't get his OWN MAJORITY's PARTY to confirm his choice, has to appoint him temporarily during the recess. It's actually kind of sad to see his own party abandoning him on these kind of issues.

But ole Tommy Delay still does - he held open the House vote on CAFTA for hours until he could arm twist a Republican with a one vote victory to please George. Now that's a joke.

I guess the Bolton temporary appointment wore George out because he went on his 50th vacation since being in the WH (five weeks this time)...

JustRalph
08-02-2005, 08:33 AM
I guess the Bolton temporary appointment wore George out because he went on his 50th vacation since being in the WH (five weeks this time)...

The playbook is getting old on this. The President is never on vacation. You try to make it seem like he is unreachable and not on top of thiings. The facts are that he just moves everything to the ranch in Texas. Kind of like when they go to Camp David. You think that he can't be just as effective from Texas? Hell, he is probably more efffective.......nobody is in town in Washington anyway. It is the summer recess ..........you make it real hard not to call you names when you keep beating the same drum over and over. It is getting real old...........:mad:

Big Bill
08-02-2005, 08:42 AM
For those of you who think that Bush did the unspeakable thing with his recess appointment of Bolton, Neal Boortz provides a statistical summary:

IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME

To listen to the media and the Democrats, you would think that a recess appointment was a rare abuse of power. It would be easy to infer that such an outrage hadn't taken place in what...100 years? Nope...quite the contrary. Let's go to the tape.

Using the four most recent presidents, here are the numbers of recess appointments made:

--President George W. Bush: 110 recess appointments in 4 1/2 years in office.

--President Bill Clinton: 140 recess appointments in two terms.

--President Bush Senior: 77 recess appointments in his one term.

--President Ronald Reagan: 240 recess appointments in two terms.

So let's see...according to the calculator, that's 567 recess appointments in the last 25 years, or an average of just over 22 a year. Bush had the power to put Bolton in the ambassador chair and he did it. Other presidents, both Democrat and Republican, have done the same thing.

It's nothing new. Ike even used the recess appointment to put 3 Justices on the Supreme Court. Can you imagine the squeals of the Democrats today if Bush did the same thing?

Big Bill

boxcar
08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Secretariat wrote:

lol...Tom, the vote on Bolton could have been brought up by the MAJORITY at any time. It was a MAJORITY Republican committee that brought him to the floor with a "No Recommendation" because they couldn't get it out of hearing with a recommendation. Republicans Chafee and Voinovich has spoken out against Bolton. Feel free to make it a left-right issue. You need to look at how many Republicans felt about Bolton as well.

It seems the simple-minded can't wrap their pea brains around the fact that there are more than a few Repubs who are Left-leaning. So, yes...for those of us who can think beyond our noses, we'll continue to "feel free to make it a left-right issue".

It shows how weak Bush's actions are: if in fact he went to the Seante chamber when they are in recess and "bitch slapped" the people there, I guess he must have bitch-slapped aides, and security and vistors since the Senate was in recess. Nothing like a totalitarian state where a man who can't get his OWN MAJORITY's PARTY to confirm his choice, has to appoint him temporarily during the recess. It's actually kind of sad to see his own party abandoning him on these kind of issues.

Hey, Sec, why don't you call for a constitutional amendment that would revoke a president's recess appointment powers?

But ole Tommy Delay still does - he held open the House vote on CAFTA for hours until he could arm twist a Republican with a one vote victory to please George. Now that's a joke.

Yeah, sure. I suppose a Dem has never done anything like this, right? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Tom
08-02-2005, 09:23 PM
The president has total work-ability wherever he is. He is always on the job some part of the day. He is always feet away from waging nuclear war it need be.

Sec. Please describe for the class what arrangements have been made for Kerry, Kennedy, Dodd, and Boxer to do the same during the recess THEY went on while Bush was still working. Thank you.

DJofSD
08-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Nothing like a totalitarian state where a man who can't get his OWN MAJORITY's PARTY to confirm his choice

Gee whiz, did I miss it while at opening day at DMR? When did the chicken-sh*t demo's stop the filabuster?

DJofSD

Tom
08-02-2005, 10:05 PM
The constitution allows Bush to do this.
As it did for 41, Clinton, Regean........
Totalitarion? I think not.
Sec. please look up totalitarian in the dictionary and write the definition 100 times here for the class.
Thank you.
Reminder...spelling counts. :rolleyes:

BTW, you know damn well had the up or down vote been held, Bolton would have been confirmed. So you are crying about nothing. The dems played a game to try to take away the choice of the American voters, who elected Bush and rejected demo senators so that peopl elike Bolton would be appointed to improtant postions. You lost. If you guys ever want to beat Bush, you have to be smarter than he is. So far, he has beaten you guys like a governement mule.
:lol:

Lefty
08-03-2005, 12:33 PM
sec, Clinton made 149 recess appointments. The guy in charge gets to choose; this time it's Bush.

Secretariat
08-03-2005, 04:55 PM
lol..I never said it wasn't his right to appoint Bolton. I said it makes him look weak when his own party won't even defend his picks. Go back an read my post. btw..in a totalitarian regime one guy decides....

As to the issue of Bush's record 50th vacation at Crawford, I must say I loved Ronald Reagan's candor who used to say I'm going on vacation for some R&R and it's as simple as that. Gotta love the WH spin today.

Here's a few snippets about GW's vacations to put in perspective:

08/03/2001 - Updated 12:02 PM ET (PLEASE NOTICE THE DATE ON THIS ONE)

"White House to move to Texas for a while
By Laurence McQuillan, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — Six months after taking office, President Bush will begin a month-long vacation Saturday that is significantly longer than the average American's annual getaway. If Bush returns as scheduled on Labor Day, he'll tie the modern record for presidential absence from the White House, held by Richard Nixon at 30 days. Ronald Reagan took trips as long as 28 days."

Sidenote:

As reported in the 9/11 Commission Report, Bush's regular August vacation was interrupted by that CIA briefing warning that Osama bin Laden was determined to attack the United States.

Again note date on above article.

…..

"According to an August 2003 article in the Washington Post, President Bush has spent all or part of 166 days during his presidency at his Crawford, Texas, ranch or en route. Add the time spent at or en route to the presidential retreat of Camp David and at the Bush family estate in Kennebunkport, Maine, and Bush has taken 250 days off as of August 2003. That's 27% of his presidency spent on vacation."

….

"Jimmy Carter took the least days off -- only 79 days, which he usually spent at his home in Georgia. That's less than three weeks a year, which is closer to the average American's paid time off of 13 days per year."

"What about Clinton? As of December 1999, President Bill Clinton had spent only 152 days on holiday during his two terms, according to CBS News. A former staffer noted Clinton was such a workaholic that "it almost killed Clinton to take one-week vacations during August." In 2000, Clinton cut his summer vacation short to just three days, and in barely three years in office, George W. Bush has already taken more vacation than Clinton did in seven years." ..btw, this is an older article, GW has improved on those numbers!

From the Guardian yesterday:

"White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Friday that Bush will leave after signing into law the Central American Free Trade Agreement that Congress gave final approval to earlier this week.

It will be the president's 50th trip to the ranch since he was elected nearly five years ago.

McClellan said Bush looks forward to being able to ``shed the coat and tie'' at his more casual home near the small town of Crawford, Texas.

The White House said the date of Bush's return to Washington has not been set, but McClellan said the president will be in Texas throughout August. Bush has gone to Crawford every August since he's been president.

Despite the stifling heat, Bush typically likes to spend time outdoors when he's at his ranch, doing things like clearing brush and riding his bike. McClellan said Bush will use that time to encourage other Americans to get physically active.

Sounds like a real working vacation….”clearing brush and bike riding.”

...Keep spinning guys. Let's just hope we don't have another ermgency while he's on vacation like the CIA briefing Bin Laden Determined to Attack in the US, or his vacation during the tsunami....I guess we're dealing in an age of royalty....

Tom
08-03-2005, 10:59 PM
From the LA Times:

<LI>The first President Bush made 77 recess appointments over one term, and President Reagan made 243 over two terms.

<LI>President John F. Kennedy appointed Thurgood Marshall to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in October 1961, getting around opposition from Southern senators. Their resistance had weakened by the following September, and the Senate approved him 54-16.

<LI>President Dwight Eisenhower made three recess appointments to the Supreme Court: Chief Justice Earl Warren (1953) and Associate Justices William Brennan (1956) and Potter Stewart (1958). Each later received Senate confirmation.

<LI>President George Washington appointed John Rutledge of South Carolina as chief justice during a 1795 recess. The Senate rejected the nomination and his appointment expired after he served one term.

Sources: AP archives; Congressional Research Service; Senate Historian's Office.

Those damn totalitarians anyways!
I always new that Washington wanted to be King and not president! :lol:

lsbets
08-04-2005, 10:48 PM
"I have long urged recess appointments to break this logjam — this irresponsible, unconstitutional Republican leadership position which fails to give people their due and fails to meet the constitutional standard."

Of course he said that when Republicans weren't voting on Clinton's nominees - so in that case, recess appointments were okay. But, now that Democrats aren't allowing a vote on Bush's nominees, he seems to think recess appointments are wrong. Of course, he also said Supreme Court nominees shouldn't be asked for specifics, but that was when Ginsberg was the nominee. Now he seems to think that Roberts should elucidate his opinion on everything that might ever come before him on the court. You gotta love Teddy, he's entertaining.

boxcar
08-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Secretariat wrote:

lol..I never said it wasn't his right to appoint Bolton. I said it makes him look weak when his own party won't even defend his picks. Go back an read my post. btw..in a totalitarian regime one guy decides....

And "one guy" can decide in this situation under the Law of the Land (the U.S. Constitution for those in Rio Linda. So...what exactly was your point, Sec, to your snide "totalitarian regime" remark?

Boxcar

Secretariat
08-05-2005, 02:09 PM
It is nice to see that it is many of the posters in this thread that are the ones being being viewed as on the fringe.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050805/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_ap_ipsos_poll

Lefty
08-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, i'm part of the rightwing conspiracy and I trust these mainstream polls as much as i'd trust Ted Kennedy to drive me across a bridge.

Tom
08-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Teddy speak with forked tounge.

Two mouths. The better to lie out of.

Teddy is user friendly - put a buck in in his pocket and then select the mouth you want to hear from!

Equal opportunity liar.

Sheeez.

Secretariat
08-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah, i'm part of the rightwing conspiracy and I trust these mainstream polls as much as i'd trust Ted Kennedy to drive me across a bridge.

Aww yes..when GW's polls are bad, you can always retreat 30+ years ago to Chappaquidick, or to the Lewinsky incident...you always have those memories. Well done...Rush would be proud of you Lefty. Don't think...just recite.

JustRalph
08-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Aww yes..when GW's polls are bad, you can always retreat 30+ years ago to Chappaquidick, or to the Lewinsky incident...you always have those memories. Well done...Rush would be proud of you Lefty. Don't think...just recite.

I agree with Sec on this one. We have to stop referring to the past. We must move forward. Stop relying so much on character.........you guys......should have learned that lesson a long time ago. Character doesn't count....:eek:

Tom
08-06-2005, 12:09 PM
You are right as usual, Ralph, why deredge upthe past. You are liable to uncover, uh, F-A-C-T-S that contradicct today's sound bites. Holy Cow! :bang:

Lefty
08-06-2005, 12:32 PM
sec, you posted the link to the poll and recited from it. I told you what I thought. Maybe you'd better look those two words up in the old Dictionary.
I KNOW that poor girl from those many yrs ago is still dead. I know Teddy still spewing his hate.
Thinking: AP poll no doubt taken from people who watch and read the mainstream media. The mainstream media beats up on Bush every single day. It would be shocking if the poll said anything other than what they wanted it to say.
They lead off saying HALF of americans are losing confidence in Bush.
At the end of the article they say 1,000 were polled. Wow! Country is smaller than I thght! Bush cannot be reelected, so what's the point? Paving the way for Hillary, that's the point. You see, always thinking.
BTW, I don't agree with Rush, but mucho of the time, he agrees with ME! Gotta like a guy that perceptive.