PDA

View Full Version : Separating 7-2 to 7-1 horses

kenwoodallpromos
07-31-2005, 11:31 PM
I mostly use class and running line to evaluate them, but it is not easy for me.
What factors do you look at most when judging middle-odds horses? THANKS!

mcikey01
08-01-2005, 12:43 AM
I assume you are referring to toteboard odds and not your personal odds line.

Other than separating longshots or picking between closely matched top class competitiors, where angles(for longshots) or very fine analysis (for the top flight horses)
my separation process focuses on the same fundamentals.

The myriad mixtures of class, distance, surface, field size, pace scenario, current form, trainer/jockey impact, current track bias and overall competiveness of the field dictate the separation approach. No two races are the same.

Not implying that you might thinks this way, but there are no ''magic bullets" . We're talking about decision making under conditions of uncertainty, not curing syphilis.

I am sure the handicapping war stories of all the contributors to the this forum alone, would yield an encyclopedia of separation methodologies.

Here's one of my favorite ways of separating contenders from the middle-of the-odds pack (and, sometimes, favorites from near favorites):

I love seeing a lower odds front running horse in a 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 furlong sprint that is "unbalanced", (i.e. the horse has significantly greater pace figs than class figs and so-so consistency) in a race where that horse faces a contested early pace, and is running against one or more higher odds horses that have a "balanced" profile of average to good pace, class and consistency for that field.

If the "unbalanced" horse has pace competitors with better post position or the jockey is not one of the better "gate" riders or there is a rail bias, all the better.

Hope that assists your race analysis.

kenwoodallpromos
08-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes that is exactly the kind of responses I can use best!
Variables can be a real bummer! I think I may be valuing consistency too much with those particular horses.