PDA

View Full Version : Computer Purchase

wes
07-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Would like to know which operating system works best. AMD or Intel

Plan on purchasing a new desktop soon. Welcome all advice.

wes

JimG
07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi Wes,

I'm no expert but I own a Hewlitt Packard Machine with an AMD processor and have been very happy with the speed. Good luck with your puchase.

Jim

headhawg
07-31-2005, 11:36 AM
wes,

Here's what I tell people when they want to buy a new computer -- decide what components you really want/need and how much money you want to spend. If you don't need extra peripherals then you can put all of your purchase dollars into the box itself.

As far as processors (AMD or Intel) they are both good and I have used and owned computers with both brands. Without getting too technical, don't be alarmed that AMD's processor speed looks slower than Intel's. They are every bit as fast (and in some cases faster) due to their memory controller working at the same speed as the processor. To tell the truth, if I were building/purchasing a computer today I would probably opt for the AMD 64 although I own a P4 computer now.

Just one more thing -- try to get as much RAM as possible, at least 512 MB if not 1 GB. Memory comes in different speeds as well but let's not make your decision more complicated.

Good luck.

HH

NoDayJob
07-31-2005, 01:43 PM
I have three new AMD64-ASUS, socket 939, computers that I had CPU Solutions build to my specs. They cost less and work better than any named brand that I have bought. Their support is excellent. You might check with them. They are on the internet.

NDJ

wes
07-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks all, for the information and comments. PA's board best place on the internet to obtain good information.

wes

Dave Schwartz
07-31-2005, 03:18 PM
My experience has been that AMD far outshines Intell, especially for the money.

And the differences (when processing large amounts of data) are not small... they are huge. Sometimes by a factor of 3 or 4!

Look at the AMD 64.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

wes
07-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks Dave

wes