PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Sartin Lore

socantra
07-31-2005, 06:02 AM
I'm curious as to how the early Sartin Methodology programs apportioned their fractional adjustments.

I know they used DRF 3 year best times get final times adjustment, and within the limited 2 fraction confines of "Pace Makes the Race", I believe the adjustments were apportioned 65/35% for sprints and 60/40% for routes.

When using three fractions instead of two, how were the adjustments apportioned?

socantra...

Tom
07-31-2005, 12:06 PM
1/2 the variant on the 2nd call, 1/4 of that on the 1st call for sprints.

For routes, use 2/3 the 2nd call variant on the 1st call.

But in the phase III years (before MPH), the DRF variant was not used, You either used a meridian adjustment (equalize all races to one of them) or used raw.

Built-in adjsutments cames with Energy!@ and doc eventually came up with a way to use the DRF variant in Thoromation thorugh the "3" adjust (?).

Dick Schmidt
07-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Socantra,

Hmmm, just what setting do you want on the "Wayback" machine? You are correct about the 60/40 or 65/35 splints with TPR (or Phase 1), but that was developed years after Howard started out. Tom is correct about later programs, but not the really early stuff.

Way back when he started, Howard didn't use any adjustments. Didn't think he needed them and remained adverse to daily adjustments and par charts right up to the point he figured out how to sell them. I have played with him on many occasions and watched him work. No adjustments were ever applied. Many times he didn't use a computer at all.

Howard's original Ultra Scan program did use automatic adjustments with the option to use even more on the third fraction. When I rewrote the program, I added the ability to use daily variants as well, though it was never popular.

Throughout the early years, adjustments and variants were a point of contention, with Howard saying you didn't need them, Jim Bradshaw telling people to just use "eyeball scan" and most players getting better results with variants, especially those hand crafted by Tom Brohamer. In the end, the programs were all supposed to use an automatic variant, but users were never told what it was or how it was calculated.

The current adjustment techniques applied to Phase III programs was developed by Tom Brohamer. Most programs have Tom's Daily Variant program attached. Tom makes a true, race by race daily variant using pars, sophisticated local adjustments and voodoo. An awful lot of what we think of as the Sartin Methodology, at least the feet-per-second parts were developed and perfected by Tom Brohamer.

Dick

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

socantra
07-31-2005, 07:53 PM
1/2 the variant on the 2nd call, 1/4 of that on the 1st call for sprints.

Thanks Tom. Let me see if I can ask this without starting a comedy routine.

First sentence: 1/2 the variant on 2nd call. I think I've got that, but on the 1st call do I use 1/4 of the total variant, or 1/4 of the 1/2 variant I used on the 2nd call?

Dick

socantra
07-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Socantra,
Way back when he started, Howard didn't use any adjustments. Didn't think he needed them and remained adverse to daily adjustments and par charts right up to the point he figured out how to sell them. I have played with him on many occasions and watched him work. No adjustments were ever applied. Many times he didn't use a computer at all.

Throughout the early years, adjustments and variants were a point of contention, with Howard saying you didn't need them, Jim Bradshaw telling people to just use "eyeball scan" and most players getting better results with variants, especially those hand crafted by Tom Brohamer. In the end, the programs were all supposed to use an automatic variant, but users were never told what it was or how it was calculated.

I know that variants weren't popular with Howard, but you're saying he did no track to track adjustments at all? Did he have them in his head, or was California really such an island you could get away with that?

I came to the methodology late, with Validator in 1999, though I had programmed tpr's into a Sharp pocket computer, and put together a similar three fraction program out of Dave Litfin's Racing Action article some years earlier.

By the time I hit, it was obvious the methodology had large quantities of both brilliance and bullshit. I've been sorting it out ever since, but it has been a generally profitable experience, and the more history I pick up, the easier seperating the two 'B's' becomes.

Its great having access to people like you and Tom, who were around in the earlier days. I realize you've got some memories that are less than pleasant, but it sounds like a learning experience that left you with some great stories.

Dick

Vegas711
07-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Socantra,

Hmmm, just what setting do you want on the "Wayback" machine? You are correct about the 60/40 or 65/35 splints with TPR (or Phase 1), but that was developed years after Howard started out. Tom is correct about later programs, but not the really early stuff.

Howard's original Ultra Scan program did use automatic adjustments with the option to use even more on the third fraction. When I rewrote the program, I added the ability to use daily variants as well, though it was never popular.

The current adjustment techniques applied to Phase III programs was developed by Tom Brohamer. Most programs have Tom's Daily Variant program attached. Tom makes a true, race by race daily variant using pars, sophisticated local adjustments and voodoo. An awful lot of what we think of as the Sartin Methodology, at least the feet-per-second parts were developed and perfected by Tom Brohamer.

Dick

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

What happened to jim bradshaw? I have not recieved anything from him in years?Is he even alive ?

Tom
08-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks Tom. Let me see if I can ask this without starting a comedy routine.

First sentence: 1/2 the variant on 2nd call. I think I've got that, but on the 1st call do I use 1/4 of the total variant, or 1/4 of the 1/2 variant I used on the 2nd call?

Dick

Half the variant on the second call, half of THAT on the first call for sprints.
If the race variant was 8, the 2nd call variant would be 4 and the 1st call variant would be 2.

For routes, the same way, but 2/3 on the first call. So with a varinat of 8, 4 for the 6 furlong call, and 2/3 of the 4 on the 4 furlong call 2.6, round to 3.

Dick, the meridian variant you outlined in one of the Follow Ups is the basis of my homemade harness program. The actual times are not as important to me as the moves within the race, and with all the wacky tracks and shapes and sizes and times, the meridian really works well.