PDA

View Full Version : Bruno De Julio

cj
07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Could be something new...

http://www.brunoonworkouts.com/

kenwoodallpromos
07-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Right on schedule! I think I can use the information.

joeyspicks
07-29-2005, 04:53 PM
some HIGH quality recommendations! I look forward to reading it.

THANKS CJ:ThmbUp:

I really appreciate finding new information

Speed Figure
07-29-2005, 05:03 PM
I once hit 5 out of 6 at DMR for over $7500 using nothing, but his highlighted workouts in the today's racing digest. He does a very good job! My father-in-law would never go to the track without his racing digest.

andicap
07-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Question:

Would his book be good mainly for Southern California where works are more tightly regulated than in other states?
In the East trainers work their horses much more often off-track at private barns.

SAL
07-29-2005, 10:19 PM
I used to buy the Racing Digest just for his workout info also. He was very good at spotting FTS that could run. I'm not sure what value his book would have for someone that couldn't watch all the am action though.

kingfin66
07-30-2005, 01:46 AM
I used to buy the Racing Digest just for his workout info also. He was very good at spotting FTS that could run. I'm not sure what value his book would have for someone that couldn't watch all the am action though.

Wow, he sure does have some of the big names saying nice things. I take nothing away from him - in fact I had never heard of him until CJ's link - but all of these author/pros do have a habit of promoting each other's work. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

mhrussell
07-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Anyone read Bruno's book? A review would be helpful. I have not done much about analyzing workouts and including them in my handicapping <I just make sure there are some and they are adequate and somewhat regular>.

I used to always get the "Digest". Good information. My first serious foray into handicapping and my first spreadsheet I developed used the numbers from this very fine publication. I switched to BRIS because I wanted nationwide coverage, which at the time, the Digest did not have.

cj
07-31-2005, 06:56 PM
I haven't read it yet, but I ordered it, and when I get back from vacation, I'll read and review it.

oddswizard
08-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Congrats to Bruno. We were both writers for Inside Track Magazine several years ago. A new
writer named Jay Privman joined us. Bruno is a good friend and a great clocker. Looking forward to his insights. Will see Bruno at Del Mar soon. Buy his book. He knows what he is doing regarding workouts.

Houndog
08-19-2005, 09:38 AM
As andicap stated this book may be of more use to people playing the So. Cal circuit. Bruno has some original ideas on workouts that I have not considered before. He also covers medication, equipment, Southern California trainers to some degree. Bruno even states in his book that California is better suited for workout analysis as opposed to the East Coast as most of the California horses train at the host track or a nearby off-track location.

Naturally, a plug for Today's Racing Digest workout analysis was in the book but I expected that. I feel anytime I can get some original ideas to add to my handicapping knowledge it is worth it. If you need another opinion on the book I would wait to see what CJ has to say about it.

cj
08-19-2005, 10:26 AM
I have the book, but haven't had a chance to open it yet. Probably after my Toga trip.

Tom
08-19-2005, 08:55 PM
My copy arrived today and it looks really interesting. There is a lot of stuff on trainers of firsters in there. Starting to read it tonight.

Turfday
08-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Use the three-year search and minimum of 30 (sample size) first-time starters. Look at the combined BVA (consistency + value).

Perhaps some of this correlates with Bruno's research and work.

Some really useful stuff. And some trainers doing outstanding work with first-time starters.

Bobby
08-22-2005, 04:50 PM
What's the verdict? Is it worth $35?

kenwoodallpromos
08-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Considering you have nothing in this thread or your free ad post piggybacking on an author to sell your website stuff to even hint you want to discuss the topic, no, I would not buy anything from you or go to your site, just because you are too pushy IMHO.
And I consider each post of yours individually so if you want to take offense just take it for your last post here.

QuarterCrack
08-22-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm about 3/4ths of the way through the book so far and it's a very good read. It's interesting and there are a lot of great "nuggets" of information I haven't seen anywhere else. (For example, his comments on reading the horse's ears is worth the entire price of the book IMO - it's stuff I haven't seen anywhere else, not even Joe Takach.)

I think it would really be very useful to someone who can actually be present for the workouts, but regardless of that it is still a very informative book and is definitely on my "good" list. Maybe others would have a different opinion, but for me, there's a ton of insight in there.

I'm not finished with it yet (I hope to be tonight), so if there's anything different of note toward the end, I'll post here.

Valuist
08-23-2005, 10:08 AM
From what I've heard, the workout info in Southern California is more reliable than other places. When it comes to the Midwest and East Coast, I pay almost no attention to workout times. Not long ago I saw a horse running at Arlington who had just worked a week ago at AP but the DRF also had the horse breezing in Louisiana 2 days before. When you see stuff like that you really question the reliability of the workout information. And that isn't the only time I've seen obviously flawed workout info.

andicap
08-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I agree Valuist. The workout rating in HTR which does a nice job at identifying viable longshots doesn't even look at times, but patterns of workouts.
I have no idea what it looks for since it's all based on computer research/algorithems, etc., but they are worthwhile.

highnote
09-01-2005, 08:44 PM
From what I've heard, the workout info in Southern California is more reliable than other places. When it comes to the Midwest and East Coast, I pay almost no attention to workout times. Not long ago I saw a horse running at Arlington who had just worked a week ago at AP but the DRF also had the horse breezing in Louisiana 2 days before. When you see stuff like that you really question the reliability of the workout information. And that isn't the only time I've seen obviously flawed workout info.

I agree. One time our horse worked so poorly at a mid-western track that the track clocker asked our trainer what time he should put down for the official time.

SoCal workout times seem much more reliable.

highnote
09-01-2005, 08:46 PM
What's the verdict? Is it worth $35?

Yes. Definately worth it.

My standard is that if I get one good idea then a book is worth at least $50. This book is worth many times that. Lots of good stuff. Maybe not as much if you're a regular SoCal player. I'm not. So I found a lot of useful info on trainers.

Plus Bruno gives some of the money from book sales to help retired racehorses.

Tom
09-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Dittos.

BIG49010
09-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Excellent book just finished it, the information and style make it and easy quick read.

A few tid bits, that were new to me.

Bobby
09-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes. Definately worth it.

My standard is that if I get one good idea then a book is worth at least $50. This book is worth many times that. Lots of good stuff. Maybe not as much if you're a regular SoCal player. I'm not. So I found a lot of useful info on trainers.

Plus Bruno gives some of the money from book sales to help retired racehorses.

Thanks,

20 days late, but oh well just now got over here.

so.cal.fan
09-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Workouts in So.Cal. are reported far more accurately than other areas from everything I hear and see in past performances from other areas.
If you are watching the better horses.....you can really get good reports on them, both free and from services who charge a fee.
I haven't read Todays Racing Digest for a few years now....but prior to that I read it every racing day for at least 10 years.
Bruno is a good scout. He gets a lot of knocks by others who charge more for works, but he is pretty damn good, imho.
My husband knows him from the press box, and he gives him the :ThmbUp:
on being a good judge of horses.
None of the clockers can see everything, every morning......NONE OF THEM.
However, here in Calif. they have a system of having to ID the workers, and it seems to work better than other areas.
Most good handicappers I know use So. Cal. works in their handicapping process. Some complain, but they use them nonetheless.
I will buy a copy of Bruno's book, just based on what you guys have reported.
Sounds like a good read.

cj
10-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I'd have to give this book a C. It was an OK read, but not a whole lot that I think I can use in my handicapping arsenal. If I played SoCal heavy, I would probably consider buying a workout report, but I don't, so just OK for me.

BIG49010
10-12-2005, 11:25 AM
One of the angles Bruno talks about is the track where the horse is working.

I noticed at KEE that Nick Zito is winning with all the horses still working at SAR, and running up the track with the horses training at Belmont. Interesting?

so.cal.fan
10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
That is interesting, BIG.
It's true here in So.Cal.....and not widely used as a handicapping angle.
If you get to know certain barns/farms/trainers you can often get in on a good thing.
Some barns train up north at tracks/centers or farms and send down here....IF they have a GOOD horse. I once nearly won a handicapping contest in Las Vegas using this angle......a maiden first starter was shipping from Northern Calif....by some really sharp people.......I used it, it won easy at 6/1 odds.
I need to read Bruno's book.....I'm sure he has many insights I don't have.
Thanks for the great tip. I can verify that it is a really good hidden angle.

toetoe
10-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Okay, he's the greatest ever, a giant, etc. As I recall, he not only didn't love Orientate in the 2002(?) BC Sprint, he said the horse had no chance. Hope none of us threw him all the way out that day.

so.cal.fan
10-26-2005, 06:21 PM
I've never known ANYONE in the 40 years I have been going to the track that has made consistent profits following clocker tips.....no one.
Clockers who claim they can watch dozens of horses work in the mornings and give a good opinion on most are lying.
Bruno included. However....he isn't a bad handicapper, does have a few good insights and if he put them in the book, it's probably worth reading.