PDA

View Full Version : OddJack story on CompuTrak

thoroughbred
07-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Does anyone know anything about "Oddjack?" We had not heard of them. All we know is that they bought CompuTrak and mentioned they were going to test it. They have been publishing articles about their results. Here is their latest.

http://www.oddjack.com/

Any information about OddJack would be appreciated. Looks like they have a nice web site of interesting information.
Thanks

BG_Oddjack
07-28-2005, 10:00 AM
http://www.oddjack.com/gambling/horse-racing/index.php#horse-racing-computrak-wednesday-update-114670

I'm the guinea pig who checked out CompuTrak and chronicled the experience for Oddjack. I know my sample size is small, but the link above shows my money-where-my-mouth-is CompuTrak betting results.

In a nutshell, I used the software - solo, no additional handicapping by me - to pick winners and identify overlays across three cards: Great Lakes Downs on Tuesday, and the Wednesday DMR and SAR cards. The software got all glitchy for SAR (which they acknowledged and patched about an hour after the card completed), so I didn't get their "CompuTrak picks" for the races. I did find the overlay of Fishy Advice in the sixth, though, scoring a nice win bet on that one. The link above shows my results. I doubled up.

I'm no genius horseplayer/handicapper, so take this advice for what it's worth. I wasn't asked by anyone associated with the software to check it out, and I spent my own money on it to boot. And I recommend it.

BG_Oddjack
07-28-2005, 10:07 AM
And I didn't realize "thoroughbred" = Mr. Boxer himself. I'm really pleased with the results so far. Nice work, and I hope it keeps picking winners for me.

headhawg
07-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I know that there's a comment to be made about this thread and the winning horse named "Fishy Advice", but for the life of me I can't figure it out. :rolleyes:

Hosshead
07-28-2005, 10:47 AM
ODDJACK, Which function of the program did you use to decide on bets? Did you use last minute odds to make the final decisions, or could you have made your bets earlier in the day?

How long did you "study" the sw before using it ? --Thanks, Hoss

BG_Oddjack
07-28-2005, 11:09 AM
"Study" the software? Ha!

I did the quick tour and looked around at the data some. I still to this point have not looked at it with a great deal of depth.

I made my selections two ways: I put money on the CT Picks or best bets selections, and I clicked into the odds line CT set to make some secondary selections. The hit at Del Mar yesterday that paid $38ish in the win pool was where I noticed a M/L 20-1 (or so, I don't have it open in front of me) was real tight on the CT Oddsline with the CT Pick, so I read that as an overlay and put some money down on it.

And since I work until 5PM EST and have a 40 min commute home, I wanted to get all my money down on the whole card prior to race 1 so I didn't miss anything. I brought my laptop to work, found a wi-fi signal at lunch, and made the whole card's worth of bets via YouBet at a Panera Bread while eating a sandwich.

Lefty
07-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Everytime I go to the "oddjack" site my computer freezes up. Anyone else have this prob?
Oddjack, I have Computrak but i'm in the dark when you mention the bestbets. Where are those to be found within prgm? Guess i'm missing something.

iggy
07-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Everytime I go to the "oddjack" site my computer freezes up. Anyone else have this prob?
Oddjack, I have Computrak but i'm in the dark when you mention the bestbets. Where are those to be found within prgm? Guess i'm missing something.

Can be found on the main screen near the bottom left. Even I found that:).

BG_Oddjack
07-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Them's the "CompuTrak Picks" down in the lower left of the main window.

NoDayJob
07-28-2005, 01:03 PM
I know that there's a comment to be made about this thread and the winning horse named "Fishy Advice", but for the life of me I can't figure it out. :rolleyes:

Just curious -- Have you ever used any version of the program? When I tested it over a decade ago, it showed a nice paper profit. I write my own software and use a shortened version of Mr. Boxer's equations in my program.

NDJ

headhawg
07-28-2005, 01:33 PM
NDJ,

No, I haven't used it. I wanted to try it but I refuse to pay $30 for a trial, refundable or not.

Anyway, my previous post wasn't a slam against the software per se, but rather the blatant (IMO) attempt to promote a product. If some other reg posted the link and asked the question about OddJack I would be less suspicious. But here again is another reference to a product started by the vendor. (Check a few threads ago -- another started by the vendor about the Brad Free article and the program.) Amazingly, a few hours after the thread was started a response from the "tester" who has never posted before.

Perhaps the program is the best software out there, who knows? Just making an observation, that's all.

HH

BG_Oddjack
07-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Now that you mention it, that does sound suspcious. I have absolutely no connection to RevelationProfits or Mr. Boxer, and I was turned on to the software only by an email from a reader of our site who asked me to check it out. My editor found this message thread by checking our statcounter early today. I paid my own money to register it, and had no contact (and still haven't) with Mr. Boxer outside this thread. I guess I can protest this all day long and you're either going to believe me or you're not. Just note that I did post the picks I grabbed out of CompuTrak well before the races were run, and showed a positive ROI on those picks.

Including Fishy Advice.

Maybe I'm just catching the software on a good day and one of y'all on a bad one.

>> BG

PaceAdvantage
07-28-2005, 05:46 PM
I can see headhawg's point. But I'm going to let the thread stand...

acorn54
07-28-2005, 06:14 PM
i tried the software and in the version i used ,the odds line had all the horses bunched up in the odds line. the range usually went from a low of say 5 or 6 to 1 up to 7 or 8 to 1. i didn't find the odds line of much help or accuracy. when i emailed a person associated with the software they said the odds were bunched up because the races were contentious.
acorn

JustRalph
07-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Headhawg........I was about to write a similar post this morning when I saw yours...........I am with you.............pretty obvious and I hope somebody is mailing PA a check..........how about a dime a a view?

Maxspa
07-28-2005, 08:06 PM
All,
I'm pleased to see others review handicapping software! But please give us more than one day's results. Then those of us who are interested in purchasing the software will have a better idea how it will honestly perform!
Maxspa

Lefty
07-28-2005, 08:16 PM
iggy, oddsjack, guess i'm blind cause I don't see any best bets. What do you call main screen? Processing, Oddsline or Extensive?

Lefty
07-28-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm not blind after all. Seems I don't have the latest ver.

iggy
07-28-2005, 08:29 PM
iggy, oddsjack, guess i'm blind cause I don't see any best bets. What do you call main screen? Processing, Oddsline or Extensive?

It's on the page after the Computrak logo. The page where you have the choice of Odds Line or Extensive. Doesn't say Best Picks - look for Computrak Picks near the bottom on the left side.

ratpack
07-28-2005, 09:54 PM

You just have to wait awhile and the page will finally finish, at least it it did for me.

JimG
07-28-2005, 11:04 PM
All,
I'm pleased to see others review handicapping software! But please give us more than one day's results. Then those of us who are interested in purchasing the software will have a better idea how it will honestly perform!
Maxspa

Maxspa,

I am looking forward to you buying this and giving a review. It's been getting a lot of press lately and it would be interesting to see if there is anything behind the smoke and mirrors.

Jim

Maxspa
07-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Jim,
Just returned from Saratoga! On Sunday morning the horse vans were lined up along Union Avenue and then taking turns being logged in at East Avenue gate. The parking lot inside the gate at the main track was two- thirds full at 11:00 am as people were waiting for the Open House!
The builder John Witt is completing the millionaire mansion on North Broadway and it is worth seeing. He is also the builder for Bill Parcell's new residence.
Rubin Boxer of CompuTrak used to be on Prodigy when that was the place for handicapping idea swapping. I know he has worked long and hard on his project. Whether it has value or not remains to be seen. My concern is that when someone evaluates software there should be a realistic time testing period. In my opinion, it doesn't have to be extensive but it should include a couple of major and minor tracks from different parts of the
country. Certainly a one day evaluation is absurd.
I'll have to pass on this one as I plan to go back to Saratoga for a couple of weeks in August. I will culminate my visit with a pre-season Giant -Jets football matchup at the Meadowlands.
Maxspa

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2005, 02:27 AM
Headhawg........I was about to write a similar post this morning when I saw yours...........I am with you.............pretty obvious and I hope somebody is mailing PA a check..........how about a dime a a view?

Yeah, it does look suspicious, doesn't it? No checks being mailed here....still, I keep up the post....sometimes I'm weird like this....

kingfin66
07-29-2005, 02:54 AM
I'm just glad to see that everybody is concerned about you making money PA. I don't have a check to send you, but I will be linking you up on a website real soon.

Hosshead
07-29-2005, 03:21 AM
OK maybe I'm a sucker but, the Oddjack trial of Computrak, on the Oddjack website "seems" real. (journalism?)
I find it kinda interesting.

andicap
07-29-2005, 05:43 AM
Yeah, it does look suspicious, doesn't it? No checks being mailed here....still, I keep up the post....sometimes I'm weird like this....

Maybe because you've known Rubin for a long time through Prodigy -- ??

I don't mind posts like this that much because other members will quickly step up and warn people not to make too much of it.

Hosshead
07-29-2005, 05:47 AM
Then there's the Oddjack/Computrak Trial Here At PA.

I move that until there is sufficient evidence supplied by the prosecution, that we call an end to this kangaroo court, this mockery of a sham of a trial.

My client, Mr.Odd, has already been put through undue duress and has developed an annoying twitch in his eye. Much like Herbert Lom (in the Pink Panther)
I would remind the court, that there may be a price to pay for this personal injury.

No further questions your honor, Mr PA.

Lefty
07-29-2005, 11:45 AM
I now have the update with the Computrak picks. If it hadn't been for "Odd," i wouldn't have known about the update, so glad he posted.

NoDayJob
07-29-2005, 03:48 PM

;) Maybe Computrak will send you a complimentary copy of the program instead of a check? ;)

NDJ

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I already was sent that a long time ago...unfortunately, I never did get around to trying the program....yet...

Hosshead
07-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey PA, if you do, please write a review (like Max does)
Just because it's your site doesn't mean you can't write a review, does it?
I'd be interested in your opinion.