PDA

View Full Version : Going to Orlando, Anything to Do?

NormanTD
05-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Going to Orlando in early June and want to know if there is anything to do besides the big parks (Disney, Universal, Sea World, etc) Anyone have a favorite local resturant or some other great recommendation? We do plan on doing a couple of the theme parks so please don't worry that I won't be contributing to the big conglamerations bottom line. We're just looking for something unique to do.

boxcar
05-19-2002, 09:35 PM
If you get to feeling adventorous, you could always take the relatively short ride over to Daytona Beach and take a dip into the ocean to see if you'd be able to experience a close encounter with a shark. Other than that, Florida can get to be pretty boring pretty quick. :)

But seriously...you could also take a shortish ride up to horse country in the Ocala area. It's quite scenic up there. That area is a lot different from the rest of the state.

Boxcar

Dick Schmidt
05-20-2002, 01:01 AM
Norman,

I know it sounds corny, but I really enjoyed the alligator attraction. Called Gator World or some such, it has been there for 50 years or so. Besides the tourist stuff like gator wrasslin', they have a wooden walkway that meanders through a swamp. Not many people go out there, and it is quite chilling to be all alone out in the bush and look down and see a 10 foot, prehistoric reptile gliding beneath your feet. Part cornball, part nature preserve. As close as you can get to the Everglades and not get wet.

Dick

P.S. They serve gator meat at the snack bar. Worth the price of admission right there!

JustRalph
05-20-2002, 02:14 AM
Have you ever seen that video of the guy who accidently parachuted into that gator joint.......it was pretty bad.