PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Lurkers vs. non-lurkers

andicap
07-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Put this in the Library section because well, PA is a handicapping resource.

Lurkers, I encourage you to answer this Census to help out PA and give us an idea of how many people are visiting this site.
In many areas of the Web, "lurkers" have gotten bad names as sort of leeches who don't contribute to sites.
On the contrary, I think lurkers are a vital part of each site. Many people like to read but feel if they post they'll get their head bitten off (they might!), and just like to remain below the radar. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone is a part of the PA community, no matter if they post or just read my posts.
I'm always pleased when I meet a lurker at the Spa outing and he says he reads my stuff (OK, there was ONE.)

chickenhead
07-26-2005, 06:50 PM
lurkers who NEVER post are kind of creepy....

Hosshead
07-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Don't you have to be a member to post?
I think most lurkers are not members. They don't want to post, just lurk.
Therefore they can't vote in this poll.

chickenhead
07-26-2005, 08:41 PM
I bet most lurkers are members.

They registered once, a long time ago, thinking they might post something...but then they remembered they were a lurker...so they didn't.

Suff
07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
I believe you need a users name to Vote in Polls. That would require registering. Lurkers don't register. It's unlikely if they have'nt done that by now, that they would ,to vote on this thread.

chickenhead
07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
I can see some registered lurkers, watching us right now!

NoDayJob
07-26-2005, 10:14 PM
lurkers who NEVER post are kind of creepy....

:D :D :D

Posters who never lurk just post and post and post and post.

NDJ

kenwoodallpromos
07-26-2005, 11:12 PM
How many posters are really im-posters? :D

hurrikane
07-27-2005, 02:03 AM
I'm a lurker,

at least that is what I was arrested for.

Alc
07-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Infrequent posts. But, I enjoy reading the postings of an obviously knowledgable and sophisticated group who share my interest in this game. Also find that my positions are most often expressed better by other "frequent" posters. Dont feel the need to duplicate comments.

andicap
07-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Don't you have to be a member to post?
I think most lurkers are not members. They don't want to post, just lurk.
Therefore they can't vote in this poll.

Didn't consider that? Yes I bet a lot of people don't register but do lurk.

I would just love to know how many different people check this place out at least once a week.

cryptic1
07-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Is it okay to lurk as long as you don't loiter?I understand that lurking
is permissible in 8 provinces and one territory and on most horse racing
boards.
The level of handicapping discourse on this board is so high that I
imagine many lurkers are somewhat intimidated and would rather just
digest and learn from the various discussions.

Lurking and learning

cryptic1

Fwizard
07-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Ok-I admit it --I am a "lurker" --not only do I feel the need to lurk because I feel I'm overmatched in Horse IQ--but even my wife and kids don't know I'm a lurker---my neighbors don't know I'm a lurker---my mom won't admit I'm a lurker--and if my job found out I'm a lurker then I might be unemployed--But I feel I'm on the way to recovery becuase the "first step" is to admit you are a lurker...

On the other hand--this is a great site and I have learned some things --but still can't hold a candle to some of the experts here--but maybe things will change...

Frank
:lol:

Overlay
07-27-2005, 07:28 PM
On the other hand--this is a great site and I have learned some things --but still can't hold a candle to some of the experts here--but maybe things will change...

Frank
:lol:

Welcome to the board! Stick around, absorb the information, and chime in when you feel like it. You can't help but improve your game with what you'll read here.

chickenhead
07-27-2005, 07:33 PM
yeah...you've crossed over now Frank. The Lurkers won't take you back, you might as well keep posting now. :ThmbUp:

Richard
07-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Fwizard,
By all means dont feel the least bit intimidated.If anyone around here has the lowest horse IQ it's yours truly and I'm having too much fun in the process to feel intimidated myself.The waters are most reasonable.Jump on in.

Tom
07-27-2005, 10:12 PM
andicap....put in another choice on the poll - for lukers who are not members and cannot vote. then we'll know how many of them are out there!

Welcome, Frank.....you are one the right page. Your first post has the right stuff. :ThmbUp:

kenwoodallpromos
07-29-2005, 01:42 PM
I am often overmatched also- that is why I used the ? on my keyboard- to start a thread by asking a question. After all, you are now the one Answering on this poll!LOL!

Nickle
07-29-2005, 02:35 PM
I lurk more but starting to et more involved posting

We have lots of sharp guys here

brdman12
08-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I am a lurker. But I have been around a couple years. This is the ONLY racing sight i go to.

BIG RED
08-12-2005, 03:52 PM
there is a meeting tonight....

www.LurkersAnonymous.org

:D :D :D

midnight
08-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Just start a free contest for a prize of $100 or more, and you'll have a lot of lurkers registering. :D

NoDayJob
08-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Just start a free contest for a prize of $100 or more, and you'll have a lot of lurkers registering. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like "MORE". Who's putting up the prize money? You?

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]