PDA

View Full Version : A TRADE OF GREAT MAGNITUDE

Whitehos
05-19-2002, 11:18 AM
America gives the Triple Crown to the Saudis....They give us Bin Laden.

Lefty
05-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Not a fair assumption, Whithos. All Arabs not out to get us; some just wanta win a horserace.

Whitehos
05-19-2002, 01:16 PM
Lefty,
That is true of the vast majority of Arabs, but not the Saudi Royalty. This one in particular Prince Ahmed bin Salman who claims in an interview after the Preakness that he is more popular in America than President Bush( See todays Handicappers Edge) is the owner of many newspapers throughout the Middle East. All of which preach hatred for the U.S. in his editorials.
I have nothing against Arabs. I hate Saudi Royalty, all of whom owe their existence to support from the U.S.
Whitehos

cj
05-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Lefty,

As someone sitting here in the middle of this godforsaken desert, trust me, they hate us! They tolerate us so Iraq doesn't overrun their country.

CJ

Observer
05-19-2002, 02:44 PM
Pardon me for being nieve, but if War Emblem's owner really hated America so much, why did he go to our schools, and why is he spending so much money in our game, and why would he live under our laws?? Yes, I know there are terrorists living among us, and lets face it, there are some really whacko Americans out there too, but I still can't see how, if this man hated us all so much, he'd be mixed up with us.

Is he getting inside our game to try to sabotage it or our country? Are you saying that that smile on his face when he wins is because he's taken a trophy away from us, and not because he's just won a race (the Kentucky Derby) nearly every single person across the world would love to win?? And yet that same smile is there for any other race he wins, even the lesser known stakes, and probably all the others they win, too.

Someone send me news clippings of what this guy himself is saying about us over there in Saudi Arabia. Is he publicly whispering behind our backs?? Otherwise I'm going to keep living with my rose colored glasses on, believing this guy truly loves this game and the horses that keep bringing him to the top.

I'm not at all into politics, but what I do know, is that with so much hatred among Americans against other Americans, I think it's unfair to hold anything against someone without concrete proof.

boxcar
05-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Observer:

>>
Pardon me for being nieve, but if War Emblem's owner really hated America so much, why did he go to our schools, and why is he spending so much money in our game, and why would he live under our laws??
>>

Ever hear of the term "hypocritical"? Permit me to tackle your questions in the order you presented them:

Schools: Because our institutions of higher learning have long been perceived as being among the best in the world -- if not the finest.

Spending money in "our game"? I venture to say the Arabs were racing horses for money long before
the West invented the sport. But why race here in our country? Because this is where the big purses are. He's simply on the money trail. Why do you think Arab royality invests so HEAVILY in our markets!?

Why live under our laws? Because deep down he loves our "decaden"t society. He can behave in ways over here that he dare not in his own country. For example, I betcha dollars to donuts that he loves the fact that our women here aren't walking draperies!

>>
Yes, I know there are terrorists living among us, and lets face it, there are some really whacko Americans out there too
>>

Yeah, you got that right. Look at our own homegrown terrorist Johnny bin Walker!

>>
, but I still can't see how, if this man hated us all so much, he'd be mixed up with us.
>>

Hopefully, you can now.

>>
Otherwise I'm going to keep living with my rose colored glasses on, believing this guy truly loves this game and the horses that keep bringing him to the top.
>>

He probably does. So what? Does this preclude the possiblity -- or even probablilty -- that he also hates what America represents to the Arab-Muslim world? Or that he hates our close relationship with Israel?

Have you not read how hardnened terrorists in their hate for America have nonetheless still engaged in Islamic forbidden activities, such as drinking, carousing, womanizing, etc.? Again, I refer you to the term "hypocritical".

>>
I'm not at all into politics, but what I do know, is that with so much hatred among Americans against other Americans, I think it's unfair to hold anything against someone without concrete proof.
>>

Well, I think you'd have to concede that it was a wee bit arrogant,conceited and audacious of the guy to even postulate the stupid idea that he was more popular in America than Bush -- unless he meant he was more popular among Arab-Americans, perhaps?

Boxcar

Observer
05-19-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm not going to hold anything against any horse who displays talent based on who his connections "might be." Believe me, I am very well familiar with the term hypocritical because I see it each and every single day, but I am still not changing my views of the owner of War Emblem. No one seemed to have a problem last year when he was campaigning Point Given, who appeared to have a giant chance to win the Triple Crown going into the Derby. And yes, I know, that was last year before the attacks, but the problems with the Middle East have been going on since well before September 11.

I hadn't seen his quote where he states he's more popular than Bush, and I'm not going to try to read into what he means by that .. because sometimes people just say things that either come out the wrong way, or that are interpretted the wrong way by the media. As for believing this was "a wee bit arrogant, conceited and audacious," I can't say, because I don't know the context with which it was said.

As for the women here not walking around like draperies, isn't it the men that insist upon it over there .. just like women are supposed to keep their mouths shut, stay at home, never learn a thing but to raise children and slave for their husband .. like some men here would love?

Aren't we Americans hypocritical by stating "United We Stand" when there is so much termoil within our own societies with so many prejudices running rampant over things such as race, religion, gender and sexuality?

tanda
05-19-2002, 05:23 PM
I have no idea what the Prince thinks of America.

But, he is unquestionably a member of a corrupt monarchy/dictatorship. The royal family is supported by the U.S. Government. If the people of Saudi Arabia were free to choose, then it is highly unlikely that the royal family would be elected to power.

Some of those people who hate us do so because our government supports a corrupt, undemocratic regime while preaching the virtues of democracy. The truth is that the U.S. Government supports whatever regime (free, monarchy, honest, corrupt, etc.) furthers believed U.S. interests.

For that reason, the U.S. Government overthrew the elected ruler of Iran and put into power the corrupt, unelected Shah. Geez, I wonder why Iranians hate us?

Also note U.S. Government support of Pinochet, Marcos and Noriega in preference to democratically elected leaders.

boxcar
05-19-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Observer:

>>
I'm not going to hold anything against any horse who displays talent based on who his connections "might be."
>

Neither am I. Plus I didn't think that we were talking about a horse here.

Moroever, methinks WE is proably the real deal and will go on to win the Belmont, barring any unforseen accidents.

>>
Believe me, I am very well familiar with the term hypocritical because I see it each and every single day, but I am still not changing my views of the owner of War Emblem. No one seemed to have a problem last year when he was campaigning Point Given, who appeared to have a giant chance to win the Triple Crown going into the Derby. And yes, I know, that was last year before the attacks, but the problems with the Middle East have been going on since well before September 11.
>>

Well, just between us girls, I have for a very long time considered the Saudis (or "Arab royality" to be even more specific) to be anything but America's friend or ally.

>>
I hadn't seen his quote where he states he's more popular than Bush, and I'm not going to try to read into what he means by that .. because sometimes people just say things that either come out the wrong way, or that are interpretted the wrong way by the media. As for believing this was "a wee bit arrogant, conceited and audacious," I can't say, because I don't know the context with which it was said.
>>

Well, I did. I was watching the boob tube at the time. He was essentially asked in very general terms how well was he being treated here in America since 9/11. He laughed a bit, and said (basically) that he was well received here and perhaps was even more popular than our Prez. (Yeah, right!)

>>
As for the women here not walking around like draperies, isn't it the men that insist upon it over there .. just like women are supposed to keep their mouths shut, stay at home, never learn a thing but to raise children and slave for their husband .. like some men here would love?
>>

Well, some men in this country would indeed love that, but the _fact_ of the matter is that it's not our official state-sponsored policy, as it is in most Arab-Muslim countries. And if you don't believe this, go over to the Off Topic board and read the topic I started about how the Saudis "protect" their children -- all in the name of their great religion.

>>
Aren't we Americans hypocritical by stating "United We Stand" when there is so much termoil within our own societies with so many prejudices running rampant over things such as race, religion, gender and sexuality?
>>

First of all, to say that we're "united" doesn't mean that we're united in an absolute or perfect sense. We are united in a real, but imperfect sense in many ways.

Moreover, we'd be more perfectly united in this country if it weren't for the hypocritical left wing extremists who, at every turn, try to shove their values down the throats of those who believe otherwise and hold to a differnt set of values. I could give you plenty of examples, but this isn't the proper forum in which to make any attempt at extricating you from your self-confessed (and probably self-imposed)state of political naivete.

Boxcar

Tom
05-19-2002, 06:37 PM
Don't know much at all about the owner of WE, but I personally think Baffert is an obnoxious jerk. I still will root for WE to win the Belmont - the sport could use a 3Cwinner - it's been a long time.
I remember the thrill watching Secratariet run a hole in the wind down the Belmont backstretch- a guy next to me said"he's cooked - he'll finish dead last!" Yeah, right.
With all the non-racing stuff getting headlines, it would be nice to focus on the real deal - racing and four legged heroes.
Beside, WE didn't come from Sorry-Arabia, he came from sthe stretch at Sprotsmans Park - a blue collar champion.

JustRalph
05-19-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom
With all the non-racing stuff getting headlines, it would be nice to focus on the real deal - racing and four legged heroes.
Beside, WE didn't come from Sorry-Arabia, he came from sthe stretch at Sprotsmans Park - a blue collar champion.

I like your thinking. A great horse. After not one person on the planet thought one would emerge this year.

The Saudi's have always had a love-hate relationship with us. They want everything we have, but their religion won't allow it. The entire area is hung up on sexual issues if you ask me. Religion rules their world. But they can step out of it by traveling. I once sat with a loaded M-16 waiting on a congressional vote on whether or not to sell AWACS planes to the Saudi's. The rumor was that if Congress said no, they were going to take the ones that we had stationed there. When I say take, I mean our Air Force troops were going to have to need to be rescued. Congress ended up voting to sell them the planes. I didn't have to go play war. They are not going to change. Until the oil either runs out or we build a car that runs on air. Either way I don't like mixing my racing fun with Politics.

Observer
05-19-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
I don't like mixing my racing fun with Politics.

And that's basically all I was saying, too. I'm not judging anyone, I'm just enjoying this horse, and looking forward to his future.

Lindsay
05-21-2002, 04:17 AM
Tanda: Well said, as usual.

Boxcar: Turn off your TV and read a book. Failing that, confine your political opinions to the "off topic" section of this board, where your error-ridden BS is easier to avoid. Still think Turkey and Afghanistan are Arab countries? Want that endless list of your other errors? Why not spend less time writing and more time reading? How can the result possibly be worse?

boxcar
05-21-2002, 08:55 AM
Hey, Lindsay, you're still out there amongst the living doing what liberals do best, I see, i.e. casting personal insults at conservatives. And I bet you didn't even have to read a book to learn that bad habit. Comes as second nature to ya, doesn't it?

And if I had my nose stuck in a book all day, how in the world would I have ever heard the stupid remarks made by Prince Whathisface at the Preakness? (That was a precious moment.) I'm just sorry I didn't tape that moron's comments.

But if you must know, I am reading that excellent book by Pryce-Jones at the moment -- probably not one that would thrill you, though, since generally it isn't painting a very pretty picture of the A-Rabs, thus far.

But hey, Linsday, have a good one -- in spite of yourself.

Boxcar

GR1@HTR
05-21-2002, 09:09 AM
No need to worry about the Arabs. If WE wins the triple crown the, he will be purchased for breeding purposes by the rich dude from Japan and given an new name: Fusaichi Emblem...

anotherdave
05-21-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Tom
Don't know much at all about the owner of WE, but I personally think Baffert is an obnoxious jerk.

I guess you wouldn't be interested in the Bob Baffert bobble head doll for sale on ebay then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1830778065

AD

freeneasy
05-21-2002, 09:04 PM
thanks GR, I needed that one, to funny

JustRalph
05-21-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by boxcar
Hey, Lindsay, you're still out there amongst the living doing what liberals do best, I see, i.e. casting personal insults at conservatives.

Please don't tell me you call yourself a conservative?
Geez-o-pete man! I have actually read some of that crap you ..............forget it.........probably won't do any good anyway.

We now return to our previously scheduled program. Horse Racing!!!!

smf
05-21-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by GR1
No need to worry about the Arabs. If WE wins the triple crown the, he will be purchased for breeding purposes by the rich dude from Japan and given an new name: Fusaichi Emblem...

Good'n GR1......."Fu 'Em".

I dig it.

boxcar
05-22-2002, 07:43 AM
Okay, Ralphy, I'll 'fess up. You have my number. I'm a Closet Liberal.

Boxcar

Lindsay
05-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Boxcar wrote: "Hey, Lindsay, you're still out there amongst the living doing what liberals do best, I see, i.e. casting personal insults at conservatives."

Earlier, Boxcar wrote: "What a gutless, spineless wimp we have for a president. I'm ashamed to call [President Bush] 'my president.' I shudder to think about the path upon which this hypocritical cowardly doubletalker could be taking us."

Boxcar also wrote: "Sen. Dasshole..."

boxcar
05-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Hey, Lindsay, you obviously can't make the distinction between personal attacks made between two people dialoguing and personal commentaries or analyses made about others. But somehow I'm not surprised at this.

And just for the record...most politicians are horses' asses. Feel free to add my latest observation/opinion to your "personal attack" list.

Ciao,
Boxcar

Lindsay
05-23-2002, 02:50 AM
Boxcar: Whom do you think you're kidding? I read The Derby List, where your personal attacks are legion.

Now you're saying that it's okay for you to launch a barrage of personal insults against President Bush, but it's improper for me to point out that you don't know a damn thing. Improper? No. Redundant? Yes.

If you confine your error-ridden political rhetoric to the "off topic" section, where it belongs, our paths will not cross again.

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2002, 04:01 AM
Boxcar and Lindsay:

Any further replies in this topic should be ON topic...OK??

==PA