PDA

View Full Version : For those posting selections.

levinmpa
07-26-2005, 10:30 AM
It's great that board members have the opportunity to post selections here. It would be nice to see each selection thread have a summary at the end of how the selection(s) performed. There are so many posts that don't contain any summary. For someone that wants to quickly go through a couple of weeks or more of selection postings, many of the result are unknown, and the chart may no longer be available online. It seems like when a winner is selected, the poster is willing to summarize that they picked a winner, but not so when the selection loses. If you pick a winner or a loser, please summarize your results in your thread. I don't think this is too much to ask.

midnight
07-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Excellent idea. And since you suggested it, how about if you tabluate the results for each thread so everybody will have them?

I think it's presumptuous of you to even ask for what you did, but maybe that's just me.

It takes time and effort (and varying degrees of skill) to post selections. The posters aren't getting a dime for their trouble. Now you want them to spend more time posting the results so that you aren't inconvenienced.

Here are two suggestions:

1) Spend the time and effort each day tabulating the results yourself.

2) If you want the charts from races older than a week (or whatever the cutoff is for the free ones on Equibase), you can buy them from one of the suppliers (DRF, BRIS/TSN, etc.). I also believe that Racing Channel has a free archive of results (not charts) dating back at least a year.

I may sound like an asshole here, but it irks me when somebody getting something for free, from people volunteering their services, makes more demands.

(For the record, I do take the time to post the results, good or bad, to my selections).

andthereoff
07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
LMAO, I am in total agreement with Midnight on this one. Hey Levin the way you ended your post was bullshit. You dont think its to much to ask for someone to post the results of the plays they posted. Quit being so god damn lazy and do what Midnight said, research the results yourself and find out who had a winning day. You can go to racingchannel.com and look up archive results from years ago and its free.

Midnight, you didnt sound like an asshole in your reply. Laziness deserves to get blasted!!!

levinmpa
07-27-2005, 10:17 AM
My goodness. Aren't we a little bit sensitive. I'm not even referring to myself. I don't have a problem looking up results, but there are many weeks and months of selections posted. A new user to the board probably has no ability to look up results from a month or more. Why is it too much to ask for someone to post how the selections performed? I don't get it! It just seems like a natural to me. I understand that those who post 3 or 4 picks per race for multiple cards would need to spend a lot of time. I'm really referring to those that post one or two specific selections each day. It would take all of about 30 seconds to post the results of that selection. Let's have just a little bit of accountability here. Otherwise, what's the point.

levinmpa
07-27-2005, 10:25 AM
I guess I should be barred for not following my own suggestion. I have posted selections a number of times in this forum, and after looking up my selection posts I noticed that one day I did neglect to post my results. I posted the results of my selections as a courtesy to the other board members. Courtesy and accountability! What great concepts.

kingfin66
07-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Nobody's talking about barring anybody over selections. Those other two didn't like your idea and stated so rather strongly. Very, very strongly...almost too strongly :) It was your idea, but I never read into that you wanted anybody banned, just that you thought it might be a courtesy to post the the outcomes.

Actually, I agree that people should probably post the results of their picks to give themselves street credibility. I think that most, not all, of the members who are consider good handicappers post the results of their selections. I have been guilty of not posting the outcomes of a few of my selections, but have put the results up most times.

To the folks who came down hard on this idea. One of the reasons cited against was the time cost as the selectors have already given of themselves to post the picks. Presumably, people were handicapping the races for themselves already and the only added time is the time taken to post the results. Any good handicapper keeps records of their picks. So why not just post the results? Maybe the people posting the selections are not good handicappers....

Here's my beef with some of the members who post selections. You often see people post 3-4 selections for a race with no indication of how the selections should be used. From a handicapping point of view it would make more sense to post the 3-4 selections with an explanation of how they should be bet. For example, if I were to post horses 1-2-3 in race 9, I should then say something to the effect of "Box in an exacta," or play the the horse(s) to win if the odds meet a particular condition. Otherwise, what is the point? If someone can't consistently find the winner of a race when they list 3 or 4 horses, then they aren't much of a handicapper.

So lighten up on levinmpa. He was just floating an idea.

lwinston67
07-27-2005, 12:32 PM
I very much agree with Kingfin and Levinm about this being a courtesy to the other board members. Midnight and Andthereoff talked about Levinm being lazy for not wanting to look up results. I just don't see it that way. It's lazy if a board member doesn't want to wade through all the posting and research results, but it's not lazy for the actual poster to spend a couple of minutes to summarize his/her selections? I agree that there should be some accountability to your fellow board members if you post selections. Even something simple like "selections won 1 out of 6 for a +$2.00" or something like that. I don't see what the big deal is. I for one really appreciate those that post some sort of summary in their thread. There are just way too many threads with a selection and no other comments. I'm sure other board members would agree.

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2005, 12:54 PM
I can think of a couple of reasons why people do not post their own results.
1) When they see how their own selections performed, they do not feel like posting them for some reason or alother.
2) They just post and post for fun, and do not even check their own results.
I rarely post selections because when I did and then posted my own results I recieved very few positive comments.
Awhile back I suggested that people post their own results, especially those who were posting dozens of picks a day; didn't do much good.
Some of you may be too new to the boeard to remember that; But at least I did not recieve negative feedback about the suggestion at that time. :)

chickenhead
07-27-2005, 12:56 PM
I very infrequently post in selections (and usually stink up the joint when i do)...I always try and post results when I post, but I don't always...seems to me: If the person that was looking at my selections that morning were playing the races, they would know how my selections did already, and if they weren't playing the races, why should I care about telling them?

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2005, 01:00 PM
kenwoodallpromos

My BC picks to win:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ashado
Balletto
Six Perfections
Speightstown
Quija Board
Afleet Alex
Request for Parole
Pleasantly Perfect

10-31-2004, 12:02 AM #2
kenwoodallpromos

My results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- win, $6.00
2-2
3-3
4-win, $9.40
5-win, $3.80
6-2
7-6
8-3
_________
Total bet= $16.00, total won=$19.20.

Suff
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Starting right now I wll post my results.

I have a win percentage of 100% for Saratoga 2005.

I have an ROI of 1.90 per $2.00 wagered.