PDA

View Full Version : Beyer on Preakness

andicap
05-19-2002, 02:07 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39076-2002May18.html

Dick Schmidt
05-19-2002, 04:25 AM
Damn, but Beyer is a good writer. He captures the excitement and color of a race better than anyone. Roll on, Andy!

Dick

modred
05-19-2002, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the link andicap... I watched the race on TV, but see it better now that I've read the article by Beyer. He can do it better than anyone.

Derek2U
05-19-2002, 09:35 AM
For me, as for many others, Andy Beyer is the best horse writer
I know of; but, like so many system developers & cappers, he
might be the worst public selector. Not only does he ignore his
own figs, but he miss-applies them. Ah, but he still writes a great
game.

cj
05-19-2002, 01:38 PM
Give Andy his credit, not only is he a great writer, he is the only one on a national stage who ALWAYS looks out for the bettor! Noone else even tries...keep going Andy!

CJ

superfecta
05-19-2002, 11:42 PM
Oh please...
He's a good writer,granted.Great one,no.The best thing he's got going for him is he writes for the post.How many major newspapers have a handicapper writing for them?How many papers have a horseracing section to start with?Not too damn many.If they gave the byline to the guy who has the most winners from his picks,Andy would be looking for another job.Hell,if they gave the job to a guy who uses his own figs,he would still need to find another gig.How about some mea culpa there, Andy?

cj
05-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Superfecta,

Most of Beyer's articles have nothing to do with making selections. That was my point. He makes picks approx. 4 times per year, the Triple Crown races and BC day.

He generally writes about things going on in the industry that affect the average horseplayer, especially Maryland. Things like takeout, customer service, condition of facilities, slots, poor management, malfunctioning timers at GP, etc. I doubt many serious horseplayers pick up the Washington Post to find a winner, but I could be wrong.

If you use your criteria, all the writers who last year picked the Yankees, Rams, and Duke have less credibility.

CJ

superfecta
05-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Superfecta,

Most of Beyer's articles have nothing to do with making selections. That was my point. He makes picks approx. 4 times per year, the Triple Crown races and BC day.

He generally writes about things going on in the industry that affect the average horseplayer, especially Maryland. Things like takeout, customer service, condition of facilities, slots, poor management, malfunctioning timers at GP, etc. I doubt many serious horseplayers pick up the Washington Post to find a winner, but I could be wrong.

If you use your criteria, all the writers who last year picked the Yankees, Rams, and Duke have less credibility.

CJ No, you missed the point CJ,I know he doesn't tout horses every column.He doesn't stand up and take the hit when he is wrong.He often will ridicule some horse or somebody or an idea and then in another article heap praise on them when they do good.Would you like someone like that?Or respect their opinion?I honestly think once that article leaves his word processor,he never gives the subject heavy thought again.Of course I figured out long ago this guy doesn't put much heavy thought into anything,including his speed figs.But thats my opinion.I got to admire the fact he has a job that pays good,for what its worth.But there are many guys in his position everywhere.Not just in horseracing.

Derek2U
05-20-2002, 10:06 AM
why is it that of the 264 avowed pacifist i've met, there all
trouble makers?

superfecta
05-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Derek2U
why is it that of the 264 avowed pacifist i've met, there all
trouble makers? Uhh,Derek,thats,PACIST as in pace....and some of us go against the grain as well.Makes for interesting conversation if nothing else.

andicap
05-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Superfecta,
I respectfully disagree about Beyer. His best days are definitely behind him, that's for sure. but he used to kid himself in print about how badly he was at picking the Kentucky Derby.
His heyday was in the 70s and 80s before everyone was using speed figures and trip notes. Remember he also used trainer patterns and bias info to supplement his handicapping -- he was not just a pure speed guy.
I also think his strength was not so much in selecting a winner but fashioning bets and fearlessly backing up his opinion when he had a live longshot.
For many of us the problem is we're afraid to mail it in when we identify a 20-1 shot we like. We'll hold back, figuring the publicly must be right. Beyer would bet with both hands in those instances and hit these monster twin trifectas. he wasn't afraid to lose.
Handicapping is 50% mental and he was very strong in this area -- his arrogance served him well there.
I also find his articles about the industry to be interesting. He's usually on the right side of the issues -- the fan's side -- but it's tough to change the industry the way the tracks are run.

Derek2U
05-20-2002, 05:29 PM
my handicaping is 45% mental and 23% gut and 55% speed and
22% wagering and 10% cheering

superfecta
05-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Superfecta,
I respectfully disagree about Beyer. His best days are definitely behind him, that's for sure. but he used to kid himself in print about how badly he was at picking the Kentucky Derby.
His heyday was in the 70s and 80s before everyone was using speed figures and trip notes. Remember he also used trainer patterns and bias info to supplement his handicapping -- he was not just a pure speed guy.
I also think his strength was not so much in selecting a winner but fashioning bets and fearlessly backing up his opinion when he had a live longshot.
For many of us the problem is we're afraid to mail it in when we identify a 20-1 shot we like. We'll hold back, figuring the publicly must be right. Beyer would bet with both hands in those instances and hit these monster twin trifectas. he wasn't afraid to lose.
Handicapping is 50% mental and he was very strong in this area -- his arrogance served him well there.
I also find his articles about the industry to be interesting. He's usually on the right side of the issues -- the fan's side -- but it's tough to change the industry the way the tracks are run. No problem,we disagree on Beyer.I may disagree sometimes with Beyer and his figs,but I still read his articles.I just don't get wrapped up in what he says.I take it with a grain of salt.Just because I don't agree with somebody doesn't make me hate them,I just disagree.And not all the time,I think he does come down on the bettors side.I just don't think his voice speaks volumes.

andicap
05-20-2002, 09:36 PM
Oh I agree with you there. I don't think he's very influential at all. But I don't think anyone in the media has much influence with the racing industry.

rrbauer
05-20-2002, 10:35 PM
I would bet a lot of money on Beyer picking horses more than "3 or 4" times a year. Way more! The "over" is 1 to how-big-a-number-is-there.

But, beyond that, I agree that Andy presents some great insights into the game and the environment that the game is played in. There are very few (none?) national writers who are willing to take on the racetrack establishment. Up front, in-your-face, down-and-dirty, not only from his press-box perspective, but from the perspective of the guy on the street.

His contributions to the game have been enormous. And that has not been without reward. But his picks (in his column) over the past couple years have been sorry!

Andy should consult his disciples more frequently when contemporary handicapping is the issue and "Picking Winners" is at stake.

Derek2U
05-20-2002, 10:46 PM
Your RightOn DudeCapper