PDA

View Full Version : Closing Day

tonto1944
07-24-2005, 12:12 PM
My sister who has a great memory called last night, she asked if I was keeping a record of how the trainers were doing at Belmont. I said to some extent. She reminded me about my Fathers cousin who is a Thoroughbred owner and still is ,he was about 12 yrs younger than my father and when he was younger always followed my father around. When my Dad was alive he told my Dad that Closing Day at the NY tracks was trainers day. By that I mean most of the trainers and their good horses were gone and it was a given that the one's that did not do so well made their money on closing to pay feed and barn bill. Today I told my sister I would see if that still holds true. Probably not , hey they even did away with Barber Day which was Mondays.I would be curious if anyone else heard that tale about closing day.

Tom
07-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Used to talk about the last day as being the day the horsemen got thier travel money to ship out on. Always the biggest day for cheating for that reason. Not sure it would be the best day to do this - you need to ship tomorrow - I always thought the big cheat day was a week earlier - to give them time to get the money out of the accounts! :D