PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Icons

Overlay
07-23-2005, 09:12 PM
I don't recall seeing any prior notice or information about the new small green square icon that now shows up below the total posts by each user, and that appears related to the poster's reputation among other board members. Was there any background discussion that I missed on that? How does it work? (And the same questions concerning the new reputation icon in the form of a scale at the bottom of each post frame.)

Zman179
07-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Dunno, but so far the only one that I've seen with a grey icon is Fishorsechess.

For some reason, I'm quite jealous. :lol:

And if you scroll over the icon, it'll tell you the poster's level status. Found it funny that Tom's says "Reputation Unknown." Despite approaching 11,000 posts!

What the hell ya gotta do to get a reputation around here?!? Bend over?!?

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I just saw that; I put "I approve" of both your posts.
I guess you have to keep approving, of each other's posts to become "distinguished".
Mine says i have 10 reputation points! Are we going to have a contest?
You cannot give yourself points unless you know how to use 2 names, but I do not think it is possible and I would never do that anyway because I do not want to lose reputation points! :)

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Sign says you cannot give reputaion points on the same post twice; sorry you 2! You will have to post again if you want more points from me! :ThmbUp:

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2005, 10:40 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fishorsechess again."
I guess I can only like someone's posts one at a time!
Anyway, you guys and Tom are on the right foot now!
I'm following all the rulesa that appear! :)

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2005, 12:13 AM
I didn't think anyone would notice....LOL

Tom
07-24-2005, 12:17 AM
We noticed...and we are already abusing them! :eek:

chrisg
07-24-2005, 12:18 AM
I see the green dot, now where do I read what this is about?
Thanks
:)

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2005, 12:27 AM
It's not about anything. It's pretty self explanatory. If you feel so moved by someone's post (one way or the other), you can now rate it and comment on it by clicking on the scale icon under the user name.

Of course, this little feature can be quickly turned off if it causes trouble. I was just curious to see how it would work out....

I suspect I will be turning this feature off in the near future, but you never know...it might prove useful to some....

fishorsechess
07-24-2005, 01:10 AM
From what I have been hearing about the new icon on PA.
It sound pretty unconstitutional to me. First of all there
is such a thing as freedom of speech in the US of A.
And what do I care what others opinions are about me.
Didn't a famous person once quote :The most important
opinion is your own and not what others think?
Horseplayers are a creative bunch. I believe most people
take up handicapping because they found they couldn't
compete somehow in the real world. So they found something
comforting about being around the racetrack among a
bunch of weirdos who want to analyze data and crunch
numbers all day. Even Jay Leno joked the other night about
computer programmers. When a youngster was asked
"Do you want to be a computer programmer" He responded
"No, I want to date women some day"

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2005, 01:23 AM
First of all there

That might be true, but this is a privately owned and operated website....freedom of speech doesn't necessarily apply here, although I try my best to allow people to speak as freely as possible.

If you don't care what others think of your opinion, then you shouldn't have any problems.

BIG RED
07-24-2005, 01:31 AM
From what I have been hearing about the new icon on PA.
It sound pretty unconstitutional to me. First of all there
And what do I care what others opinions are about me.
Didn't a famous person once quote :The most important
opinion is your own and not what others think?
numbers all day. Even Jay Leno joked the other night about
computer programmers. When a youngster was asked
"Do you want to be a computer programmer" He responded
"No, I want to date women some day"

Where do I click on :D

bettheoverlay
07-24-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm invisible!

Wish I could manage that at work.

KingChas
07-24-2005, 10:21 AM
That might be true, but this is a privately owned and operated website....freedom of speech doesn't necessarily apply here, although I try my best to allow people to speak as freely as possible.

If you don't care what others think of your opinion, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Personally all I care about is talking horses!

I have no time or need for popularity contests. ;)

I would rather pay a small membership fee per year.To disuade the abusers of this forum from cutting in just to disrupt our threads

No problems here :D

ratpack
07-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Who speaks for the horses

KingChas
07-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Who speaks for the horses

Mr. Ed :lol:

Meant talking about horses :D Got ME!

MichaelNunamaker
07-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi Paceadvantage,

You wrote "I suspect I will be turning this feature off in the near future, but you never know...it might prove useful to some...."

I very much hope you keep it on. The Ebay system has shown how useful on-line reputation can be. Far from turning this valuable feature off, I would suggest you turn on even a finer level of rating. Sites such as Slashdot have proven that moderating/rating of every post is _extremely_ valuable. Ideally, a feature that would allow someone to only look at highly rated posts would filter out all the junk and still let us read the great posts.

It appears that right now we can only see the overall moderation of the poster. If there is something you could turn on additionally to see the overall moderation of each post, it would encourage more rating, and be incredibly useful.

Mike Nunamaker

KingChas
07-24-2005, 04:18 PM
?
numbers all day. "

Fisher I'm not into this voting thing myself.But son you sure are digging your own grave with comments like this.If you don't like horseracing -hit the pike! :ThmbDown:

Richard
07-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Personally,I'm pleasantly surprised I haven't been given a brown icon(not that I deserve one,mind you).

fishorsechess
07-24-2005, 08:39 PM
And I thought I was HELPING the PA board with my posts.
Gee if you people didn't like controversy you should have
said so. And a few words from a PM would have cleared
up things easily. Now I am branded for life here on PA
with a Scarlet Letter. PA is there a way I can earn a
green box.

ratpack
07-24-2005, 08:50 PM
green box.

I was going to charge a flat rate for "Kind Words" but with 2 more months of hot weather I decided to tie it to Gas rates until fall.

However if you need a green box in a hurry I could discuss a premium charge.

twindouble
07-24-2005, 09:55 PM
green box.

Fishorsechess; Forget the green box and get with it! This place is needs a new thread, getting awful boring around here. :sleeping:

Vegas711
07-24-2005, 10:41 PM
green box.

Fish you can have my green box I am more the villian type:lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2005, 11:45 PM
It appears that right now we can only see the overall moderation of the poster. If there is something you could turn on additionally to see the overall moderation of each post, it would encourage more rating, and be incredibly useful.

Hi Mike. Thread ratings have ALWAYS been enabled, but unfortunately, it is a feature that is rarely used.

To rate a thread, click on the link that says RATE THREAD at the top of each thread. A cumulative 5 Star rating will begin to develop after a couple of users have taken time to rate a given thread....

Macdiarmadillo
07-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Mike Nunamaker:
The Ebay system has shown how useful on-line reputation can be.

The eBay system is fairly worthless. Legit complainers can receive retaliatory negatives; neutrals will receive retaliatory negatives. It makes people reluctant to say anything other than "A++++". Then again, buyers who don't understand the rules are quick to give negatives and it can often cost a seller money to resolve the dispute. Ebay loves collecting that dispute resolution money. If someone has 80% negative ratings, it does not automatically bar them. A simple change of URL and any sleazeball has a clean record.

Rating posts is a waste of time IMO.

MichaelNunamaker
07-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Hi Macdiarmadillo,

You wrote "Rating posts is a waste of time IMO."

One of the wonderful things about a rating system is that you can choose to ignore it. If you think it is worthless, simply ignore any ratings.

Hi PaceAdvantage,

You wrote "Thread ratings have ALWAYS been enabled,"

I'm talking about rating individual posts, rather than entire threads. Just take a look at slashdot.org and try looking at discussions only showing posts moderated to +5. Now take the same discussion and look at all posts moderated 0 or higher. It is hard to believe it is the same discussion!

As Macdiarmadillo correctly points out, no rating/moderation system is perfect. That said, my experience has been that being able to rate individual posts is currently the best known system for separating the wheat from the chaff.

Mike Nunamaker

fishorsechess
07-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Hi Macdiarmadillo,

You wrote "Rating posts is a waste of time IMO."

One of the wonderful things about a rating system is that you can choose to ignore it. If you think it is worthless, simply ignore any ratings.

Hi PaceAdvantage,

You wrote "Thread ratings have ALWAYS been enabled,"

I'm talking about rating individual posts, rather than entire threads. Just take a look at slashdot.org and try looking at discussions only showing posts moderated to +5. Now take the same discussion and look at all posts moderated 0 or higher. It is hard to believe it is the same discussion!

As Macdiarmadillo correctly points out, no rating/moderation system is perfect. That said, my experience has been that being able to rate individual posts is currently the best known system for separating the wheat from the chaff.

Mike Nunamaker

How can you rate a product when there is no money to be
exchanged? I am giving my product for free and they're rating
me? I think there are other newsgroups that you can emulate.
They rate THREADS not HANDLES for one thing. I can understand
someone writing a negative thread but you have to also rate
their positive one. And you are right. The problem with the
threads in this forum is they are BORING.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2005, 02:54 AM
The problem with the
threads in this forum is they are BORING.

Then leave.

fishorsechess
07-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Then leave.

Thanks for the welcome mat PA.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2005, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome mat PA.

I'm not sure why you would think I wouldn't welcome you here? I welcomed you here just like I welcomed everyone else.

However, you just stated that the problem with the threads in this forum are that they are BORING (emphasis yours).

Why would you want to stay in a place that bored you? I simply offered a quick remedy to your boredom.

fishorsechess
07-25-2005, 03:14 AM
I'm not sure why you would think I wouldn't welcome you here? I welcomed you here just like I welcomed everyone else.

However, you just stated that the problem with the threads in this forum are that they are BORING (emphasis yours).

Why would you want to stay in a place that bored you? I simply offered a quick remedy to your boredom.

Not exactly. See twindouble's thread:

Fishorsechess; Forget the green box and get with it! This place is needs a new thread, getting awful BORING around here. :sleeping:

I am interpreting that to mean there is someone else who feels the same.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2005, 03:40 AM
Well then, ditto to twindouble. Whenever I am bored, I go find something to do...I don't sit around and complain about it....

fishorsechess
07-25-2005, 05:13 AM
PA doesn't want controversy. They would rather have boredom.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Are you trying to say your posts have been controversial to date? LOL :lol:

Sir or madam, I don't believe you know the meaning of the word, as there has been plenty of controversy on this board, although controversy does not always equal EXCITEMENT. Controversy can also be boring, especially when there is too much it....

twindouble
07-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Well then, ditto to twindouble. Whenever I am bored, I go find something to do...I don't sit around and complain about it....

PA, Heck I was just giving fishorse a little support, I don't find his posts offensive at all. Besides, the only time I'm bored is when I'm doing something that has nothing to do with racing. I tried gulf, bowling, pulled the slots for 5 min and ended up in the racing room.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't find his posts offensive at all.

Neither do I....

Suff
07-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Neither do I....

Niether do I

Zman179
07-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Fishy, I'd wear that red box as a sign of being a rebel! Never conforming to the rules of "The Man". Beating your own drum. Doing yo thang.

If I were you, I'd try to make that box turn black with the accompanying caption "fishorsechess is beyond improvement" :lol:

ratpack
07-25-2005, 12:25 PM

Sir or madam, I don't believe you know the meaning of the word, as there has been plenty of controversy on this board, although controversy does not always equal EXCITEMENT. Controversy can also be boring, especially when there is too much it....

We do have short memories but I know he comments awhile back about Horse Players and Molesters was more in bad taste than steeped in controversy

fishorsechess
07-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Neither do I....

Then why the Red Flag?

fishorsechess
07-25-2005, 01:34 PM
PA, Heck I was just giving fishorse a little support, I don't find his posts offensive at all. Besides, the only time I'm bored is when I'm doing something that has nothing to do with racing. I tried gulf, bowling, pulled the slots for 5 min and ended up in the racing room.

Thanks,
It feels good that there are some people behind you.
But to have a Scarlet Letter on my forehead in this forum isn't
a good feeling.

fishorsechess
07-25-2005, 01:38 PM

You are right.
I don't understand what the red flag is about.
Controversy may be the wrong word. But I can see what a red flag
looks like.

BillW
07-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Then why the Red Flag?

This is community moderation, not PA doing this. PA does not control the vote - it is the readers.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2005, 06:11 PM
This is community moderation, not PA doing this. PA does not control the vote - it is the readers.

This is very true. Democracy at its finest!

Suff
07-25-2005, 07:53 PM
This is very true. Democracy at its finest!

Not the Boston Irish Catholic version. It caught me trying to stuff the ballot box.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PaceAdvantage again

Other ballot busting measures I've encountered.

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fishorsechess again

I've been trying to Prop up Firhosschess. he really gets to some people here.

I'd have to guess and say that it is not that he starts a lot threads with questions. It's that he went so far as to say he deserved a salary from PA!

That's f'd. I agree. But I think he's so tunnel visioned thats how he see's it.

One point to think is that we do get a lot of vistors. PA says they're bots. But I visit a lot of boards the Bots are missing.... Political boards, Horse boards. Whatever. The point is, we get begginers who like to read that stuff... and learn from it. I can't say I ever seen Firshosschess get unruly with many folks. He responds to replys to his questions... He could stand to slow it down .....by half. But other than that... He's just another Bozo on the Bus.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Why is this thread turning into "all about Fishorsechess?" Like he's the only one affected by reputation points??? LOL

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

ratpack
07-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Why is this thread turning into "all about Fishorsechess?" Like he's the only one affected by reputation points??? LOL

Right does RPM have a handle

kenwoodallpromos
07-25-2005, 09:14 PM
So who controls the commentary that keeps changing on the red squares?

Steve 'StatMan'
07-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Do comments on Off Topic Threads count that same towards the reputation score? Might be better to keep the Handicapping and any Off-Topic ratings separate, if possible.

Suff
07-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Do comments on Off Topic Threads count that same towards the reputation score? Might be better to keep the Handicapping and any Off-Topic ratings separate, if possible.

According to your little green square your reputation is unknown. Therefore your points are not considered......:lol:

This democracy is quickly getting like a republican version...:lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
07-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Maybe more like politics, need to campaign. Hoping people will vote in your favor, or at least not against you. I really never thought about rating people's posts. People pretty much show what they know after awhile, or bring up topics that hopefully brings out good information and discussion. I'm sure most of us gradually know which topics and posters we prefer to read. And the racing topics are a whole lot different than the off-topics.

Of course, if one knows one's posts are being ignored, that painful insight could at least free up a lot of time! :D

Steve 'StatMan'
07-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Finally! At least 1 vote, and positive! Thank You!!! LOL!!! :D

ratpack
07-25-2005, 11:43 PM
I remember reading a story about people who were doing test marketing for the movie "The Wizard of Oz" they would just keep moving the dial 1 would be a terrible part of a scene and 10 would be Excellent with all the variations in between as you watched the movie

Every time the Witch would pick on Dorothy most of the audience would move the dial down to 1 for very bad. As you know those scenes with the witch were some of the best in the movie but that was the audience's way of getting back at the witch.

See how can you not hate me for my longwinded post about nothing but I think it will be real hard especially in the political topics area to seperate the person from his posts.

I mean even if a person is very civil but you may disapprove of his post because of your political point of view.

kenwoodallpromos
07-26-2005, 12:34 AM
You can see how many points you have by clicking on the scale.

fishorsechess
07-26-2005, 02:02 AM

Like a one way ticket to heaven or hell.
Oh hell, I guess that is where I am going.
I always wondered what qualifies PA here.
Like does he know anything about horseracing?
He sure knows alot about being a policeman here.

MichaelNunamaker
07-26-2005, 03:32 AM
Hi fishorsechess,

You wrote "I always wondered what qualifies PA here."

It's his discussion board. He set it up. He runs it.

Mike Nunamaker

kenwoodallpromos
07-26-2005, 11:54 AM
"I always wondered what qualifies PA here.
Like does he know anything about horseracing?"
I think he knows something about horseracing. What's that got to do with the topic?

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2005, 01:33 PM
So who controls the commentary that keeps changing on the red squares?

The commentary came built in with the software, although I can change the comments if I wanted to (I didn't...all I did was turn the feature on to see what happened).

Based on how many points you have or don't have, that's the comment you get...I guess it's kinda silly when you think about it, but fishorsechess said this place was boring, so I was desperate to liven things up a bit....

But he's still unhappy....oh well....

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2005, 01:36 PM

Whether I know anything about racing or not is immaterial. I set this site up for others to come on and spread their wealth of knowledge. I, like you, hope to benefit from the knowledge of others.

But thanks for asking.

BillW
07-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi fishorsechess,

You wrote "I always wondered what qualifies PA here."

It's his discussion board. He set it up. He runs it.

Mike Nunamaker

Forgot one Mike: "He PAYS for it" ;)

fishorsechess
07-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Forgot one Mike: "He PAYS for it" ;)

I always thought this website was an open ended forum. But
I guess I was wrong. If PA runs and owns this site I think
he should be the one posting. Like taking the initiative and
having us follow along. And I thought this was an all American
internet site.

JustRalph
07-26-2005, 03:46 PM

What qualifies the Gotti kids for a spot in the Mafia?.....he gets it honest.....:D :D

You don't know what an ass you made of yourself...........I guess if you don't know, you don't know...........

MichaelNunamaker
07-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Hi Billw,

You wrote ""He PAYS for it"

That is an excellent point. Now that you got me thinking about this, I'll also mention PA pays for the site in more than just money. It also costs him time as well. Having been the administrator of far too many computer processes in my life, I can assure everyone that it probably takes PA more time to run the board than most of us think it does.

Mike Nunamaker

fishorsechess
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi Billw,

You wrote ""He PAYS for it"

That is an excellent point. Now that you got me thinking about this, I'll also mention PA pays for the site in more than just money. It also costs him time as well. Having been the administrator of far too many computer processes in my life, I can assure everyone that it probably takes PA more time to run the board than most of us think it does.

Mike Nunamaker

Maybe there are some decent people in horseracing. All I hear about
are people that are destroying this sport. Declining attendance, good
horses being sold to foreign countries. I like givers not takers.
Look at how Stronach is handling Santa Anita.

Buckeye
07-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Let's not confuse liberty and license.

They are not the same.

Absolute freedom does not exist anywhere.

Get back to asking questions and expect answers you don't.

How boring is that?

ratpack
07-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Maybe there are some decent people in horseracing. All I hear about
are people that are destroying this sport. Declining attendance, good
horses being sold to foreign countries. I like givers not takers.
Look at how Stronach is handling Santa Anita.

I am not sure it is what Stronach did at Santa Anita.

It was Magna cutting off their signal to other tracks, poor Xpress Bet internet service and HRTV outragous cost that was responsible for most of the boycott of the Magna tracks. IMHO

fishorsechess
07-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Let's not confuse liberty and license.

They are not the same.

Absolute freedom does not exist anywhere.

Get back to asking questions and expect answers you don't.

How boring is that?

Ever heard of Martin Luther Kings

"Free at Last" "Free at Last"

PaceAdvantage
07-27-2005, 02:47 AM
I always thought this website was an open ended forum. But
I guess I was wrong. If PA runs and owns this site I think
he should be the one posting. Like taking the initiative and
having us follow along. And I thought this was an all American
internet site.

Isn't what you're describing a blog? This ain't no blog....back to the woodshed my man, you're in over your head....

kingfin66
07-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Isn't what you're describing a blog? This ain't no blog....back to the woodshed my man, you're in over your head....

Reminds me of a line from a Coen brothers movie when John Goodman's character, Walter, kept having to tell Steve Buscemi's character, Donnie, to butt out of the conversation he was having: "You're out of your element Donnie." It's much funnier in the context of the movie, but reminds me of poor fishorsechess.

cj
07-27-2005, 10:23 AM
The Big Lebowski, and absolute classic!

chickenhead
07-27-2005, 10:39 AM
The Dude: Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to realize the fact that you're a god damn moron.

Valuist
07-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Is it worth a rental? Fargo was a classic, w/Buscemi and the Coen brothers.

kingfin66
07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
The Big Lebowski, and absolute classic!

Thank you. I hadn't had my coffee yet and kept thinking "The Dude, The Dude."

That whole conversation was just hilarious.

Getting totally off topic, the Coen brothers have amassed an amazing film catalog. Consider:

Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Darkman - ok, not really all that great
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Intolerable Cruelty

Tom
07-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Like a one way ticket to heaven or hell.
Oh hell, I guess that is where I am going.
He sure knows alot about being a policeman here.

Does he know anything about horseracing? He doesn't like to brag, but he knows race horses. See PM. He likes to keep iot low key.

Suff
07-27-2005, 10:40 PM
And I thought this was an all American
internet site.

All you have do is say you voted for Bush, Twice! ;) They'll think your a genius.:ThmbUp:

GameTheory
07-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Thank you. I hadn't had my coffee yet and kept thinking "The Dude, The Dude."

That whole conversation was just hilarious.

Getting totally off topic, the Coen brothers have amassed an amazing film catalog. Consider:

Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Darkman - ok, not really all that great
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Intolerable Cruelty

They didn't do Darkman. Their buddy Sam Raimi did...

kingfin66
07-28-2005, 12:48 AM
You're right on the money. Joel was the screenwriter - not the same. Thing goodness for www.allmovie.com.

PaceAdvantage
07-28-2005, 02:51 AM
Time to close this thread....probably doesn't belong in this forum anyway.....