PDA

View Full Version : Worst Ride ever??

Tom
07-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Intercontinental - Solis today - I can't remember a worse ride in my life.
What were the instructions in the paddock......fight the horse all the way and get him boxed in??? Yikes.....that rider stole his mount money. What a dumb ride. Rivals the one on the harness horse in the Rodney Dangerfield movie, the one where the driver is dragging his feet on the tack down the stretch. Only that one looked more like a try!:D

ratpack
07-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Well maybe not that bad of a ride but when Joe Bravo gets back to riding look for him on in a turf route on a closer on a heavy favorite who looks like he can't lose.

You have the place horse.

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Tom, I guess you haven't seen the two doozies by Santos in the last couple of weeks....it was talked about on other threads. I can't imagine worse rides, but if you say so....

the little guy
07-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Bejerano's performance in the 7th at Belmont today, with Diamond Isle, was one for the ages. He has absolutely no clue whatsoever how to ride the dirt at Belmont. I would love to know the average odds of his mounts in Kentucky.

JustRalph
07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
I think it was pure racing riding that did him in. PVal knew exactly where solis was.........and made sure he couldn't come out.............

chrisg
07-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I think Santos has a basement full of bad rides; you know what, I should be fair about this: He has two basements full of bad rides.

I thought Solis blew it when he didn't hit the whole as it opened. If they're not exploding with kick there, they're pussyfooting & going nowhere. He's a good rider, not great. But it wouldn't surprise me that PV knowingly closed him off.

Nice job by Pedroza though.

46zilzal
07-23-2005, 09:52 PM
I am sure that TECHNICALLY there are many we remember that did not cost us money, but ONE stands out: JULIE KRONE taking Forty Niner BACK off the pace in the Breeder's Cup Classic while Pat Day logically took Seeking the Gold right up on the pace on the off going ( a colt which Forty Niner had TWICE defeated on the front end). Then, while the rail was the slowest part of the oval, she tried a late move INSIDE with this really strong animal. Gets move vote for really mis-interpreting the track, the pace and the horse.

the little guy
07-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I am sure that TECHNICALLY there are many we remember that did not cost us money, but ONE stands out: JULIE KRONE taking Forty Niner BACK off the pace in the Breeder's Cup Classic while Pat Day logically took Seeking the Gold right up on the pace on the off going ( a colt which Forty Niner had TWICE defeated on the front end). Then, while the rail was the slowest part of the oval, she tried a late move INSIDE with this really strong animal. Gets move vote for really mis-interpreting the track, the pace and the horse.That was sad....I agree ( and I bet the Seeking the Gold/Personal Flag entry...preferring the latter ).

I'll never forget what PG Johnson said. In those days he used to do a very good job of reviewing the BC races with Harvey Pack on the " Inside Racing " show. When discussing that race, all he said was..." and there she is...on the rail. ".

It spoke volumes.

toetoe
07-24-2005, 01:34 AM
So many things ... I feel like the guy on "Car 54 Where Are You?" who says, "Ooh, Ooh, Guntha!"
First, I recall that BC Classic that Alysheba won in the dark, practically. I loved Waquoit, a Sufferin' Downs horse who turned into Cinteelo on an off track --- except that BC day. And the Krone ride made me think she was mediocre, whereas she was very good, even back then, I guess.
As to jockeys, can't leave out my boy Jean-Luc. I'll be repetitious and remind you of the perfect Santos-Samyn moment: Jose is strangling his horse as it makes the winning move along the rail. The horse ducks out and bumps J-L's mount. Poor J-L has every fiber of his being invested in staying aboard, so of course he loses his irons. So now they're cantering down the stretch, Santos having ceased the strangling and now holding Samyn up with his right hand. Santos' horse MAYBE even speeds up now, and nips Samyn's horse at wire, then gets put down to second. AAH, what a show. McCarron should show it to every class at his jockeys school.

BIG RED
07-24-2005, 01:47 AM
What were the instructions in the paddock......fight the horse all the way and get him boxed in??? Yikes.....that rider stole his mount money. What a dumb ride. Rivals the one on the harness horse in the Rodney Dangerfield movie, the one where the driver is dragging his feet on the tack down the stretch. Only that one looked more like a try!:D

I agree Tom. I have been having problems with the computer, but I got to get in the war room just then, and I said the exact thing. Came right back and said blame the jock, period!

NY BRED
07-24-2005, 10:33 AM
A: IF YOU ARE A BRIDGE JUMPER YOU ARE PROBABLY A STATISTIC
AFTER WATCHING MR SOLIS' RIDE YESTERDAY. I'D BE AMAZED TO SEE FRANKEL
AGAIN USE SOLIS IN A STAKES RACE.

B:FOR THOSE WANTING TO SEE AN UNHERALDED JOCK, WATCH RACE
REPLAYS 9TH RACE AT BELMONT .JOSE ESPINOZA REMINDED ME
OF ANGEL CORDERO WITH AN INCREDIBLE RIDE, AND FACED THE
EXACT TYPE OF SITUATION WHICH SOLIS SCREWED UP.

SPLITTING HORSES IS A MANEUVER A RECENTLY INJURED JOCKEY
AND APPARENTLY RECUPERATING/RICH JOCKEY SIMPLY WON'T DO.

C: THE SOLUTION TO BAD RIDES MIGHT BE AROUND THE CORNER/OR THE WORLD.CHECK ANANOVA.COM/NEWS/STORY/SM_1461995.HTML AND
READ HOW ROBOT JOCKEYS HAVE REPLACED CHILDREN IN THE
ARAB STATE OF QUATAR. :jump:

Whirlaway
07-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Jerry Baily fought her just as much in her last race. The difference was that she was drawn outside and Bailey had room to go when he wanted. She's a rank horse by nature and being stuck behind horses is a tough trip for that kind of horse.

cnollfan
07-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I don't understand why they don't just put Intercontinental on the lead. It seems like that's where she wants to be. I rarely watch horse races on ESPN but happened to see this one. Before the race they were talking about Solis asking Bailey for riding advice on Intercontinental and although these weren't his exact words, obviously, Bailey more or less told him to "make sure you get her boxed in and in trouble."

NY Bred, I know several handicappers who hate JL Espinoza. It seems to me he is much improved this year. Loved his ride on True Crimson a few weeks ago -- there was other speed in the race but he got her right to the front and then got her to relax. Glad to hear someone else likes him too.

The worst ride I ever saw was Pat Day on The Happy Hopper in the Black Eyed Susan against Silverbulletday a few years back. The rail was really good that day and The Happy Hopper was a sprinter in a race with no other speed who couldn't help but get the lead and the rail, except that Day chose to strangle her three wide and then try to outfinish Silverbulletday, which was the superior horse. He got beat about 50 lengths, and probably would have got beat anyway but it bugs me when a dozen guys from Fonner Park could have done better.

Valuist
07-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Jamie Spencer's ride on Powerscourt in the BC Turf immediately comes to mind. Spot the field a few lengths, then go into a hard drive halfway down the backside. Its amazing the horse finished as well as he did.

As for Santos, I can't believe how bad he's become.

DJofSD
07-26-2005, 11:51 AM
No way was Sweet Return going to be caught. It was a lone "F".

Perhaps you'll remember the ride Kent Desoreux had 10 years ago. I think it was HOL. 4 horse field over the green stuff and he got boxed in on the rail. Failed to win the race with a short priced favorite. Bobby Frankel reportidly was so upset, he threw his binoc's on the ground and stomped away.

DJofSD

joeyspicks
07-26-2005, 11:55 AM
JERRY BAILEY on EDDINGTON:mad: 2004 Belmont Stakes

yes I KNOW IT wasnt the the WORST ride EVER. But Jerry did NOT ride to WIN that race (IMHO).......and that makes it a pretty bad ride.

toetoe
07-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Droll CNoll,
Count me as a cnollfan fan after that hilarious post.
I like JEspinoza for the wrong reason -- he's Victor's brother, and Vic's my fave.

I always thought Jose was okay, anyway. No Channing Hill, but good.

We all must have nightmare-inducing horror stories about Pat (Rome Wasn't Burned In A) Day, but I've seen him recently winning stakes ON THE LEAD! A beautiful thing, man.

Valuist
07-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Maybe not worst ride of the year but Fragoso didn't score any points in the opening day stake taking a speedball back to last while falling behind a 46 4/5 half. Then he tries to come up the rail only to get shut off and have to cross over heels late. My nomination for worst ride at the Saratoga meet so far.

aaron
07-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Most rides by Jose Santos

Achilles
07-27-2005, 09:44 PM
I am amazed that no one has mentioned Frankie Dettori's ride through the stretch at the Breeder's Cup Classic.:( :mad: :( :bang: Maybe you've taken a memory-blocking drug? I've tried, but nothing seems to work.

westny
07-27-2005, 10:02 PM

Aptitude - Solis in the Belmont. Frankel didn't use Solis for a few years after that... guess Frankel didn't remember ...