PDA

View Full Version : Want to become a compulsive gambler? Take this drug

fishorsechess
07-23-2005, 03:58 AM
Saw this on the tv news. Then looked it up on the net.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/forum/index.php?ntid=47099&ntpid=7

You can't blame me for being weird this time. This time its the news.

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Yes, but does this thread really belong in the handicapping section?

fishorsechess
07-23-2005, 06:10 AM

But I couldn't get it in there because they are all read-only PA.
Your alley.

cj
07-23-2005, 06:39 AM
fish,

How about "off topic?" Just a thought...

fishorsechess
07-23-2005, 06:42 AM
fish,

How about "off topic?" Just a thought...

Everyone has told me going to the races was gambling.
But I thought it wasn't because I thought I could win at it!

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Everyone should get a bottle as a perk upon entrance to tracks and OTB's! I'll re-sell my free bottle! LOL!
Yes it is only gambling if you lose or if a relative gives their opinion of it!LOL!
No one considers using a credit card gambling! LOL! Much more bankruptcies!
So if anyone tells you you are gambling ask them "What's in your wallet?". :lol:

grahors
07-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Ken,
I'm a pharmacist by trade...heard about this on the news.
Drug companies always go to the news first be fore the pharmacist..makes a bunch of sence, doesn't it. Ladies magazines are another good source for medical advise.
Years ago, there used to be a drug with this side effect..if women took it, a percentage of them would orgasm every time they sneezed..I am serious.
Drug was called Anafranil

ryesteve
07-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Years ago, there used to be a drug with this side effect..if women took it, a percentage of them would orgasm every time they sneezed..I am serious.
Drug was called Anafranil
"Used to be"? Why on earth would they stop making it???

speculus
07-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Yes it is only gambling if you lose :lol:

You remind me of Robert Morley's famous quote:
It does not matter if you win or lose--until you lose!

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Rye- it was taken off the market by MALE executives who felt sneezing would leave them out in the cold!LOL! :liar:
(I remember that drug being around and something about sneezing and bladder control- soon women who wanted to scare men off just faked a sneeze.).

freeneasy
07-23-2005, 04:13 PM
i never had a women fake a sneeze on me once... well maybe onetime but never more then once...

yak merchant
07-24-2005, 05:07 AM
http://www.snopes.com/risque/aphrodis/yawn.htm

grahors
07-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Alright...so I had the trigger mechanism wrong.

andicap
07-24-2005, 08:47 AM

Uh, not to be nasty or wise, but you are the moderator -- you can move it. At least he posted something fairly interesting for once. And it's not completely off-topic.
I've sometimes wondered how many of us are compulsive gamblers.

(Not me of course -- but then again, I could be denial.)

twindouble
07-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Uh, not to be nasty or wise, but you are the moderator -- you can move it. At least he posted something fairly interesting for once. And it's not completely off-topic.
I've sometimes wondered how many of us are compulsive gamblers.

(Not me of course -- but then again, I could be denial.)

andicap;

May I add a little insight when it comes to compulsion? Anyone who plays the horses on a regular bases and whos says they don't feel a compelling desire to play isn't being honest. You can't extract basic human emotions from this game, one can be compelled to or driven to suceed at something that most people fail at, that's what gambling is all about. Those that fail are concidered to be compulsive gamblers and need to be put in straight jackets to be saved from themselves. To me it's no different than those that found their first gold nugget during the rush, the majority failed in getting rich and some gave their life in the quest. Well there's no more gold in them there hills, all we have is the stock market, gambling resorts, State lotteries and best of all horse racing. It's human nature to take risks, the hard part is determing if you have the necessary skills and resources to succeed at it, some find out to late that they don't.

The big question is, can those skill be taught or is it something that's not tangible. A better question is, can the game be computerized to the point where those intangibe skills aren't needed any longer. I doubt it. Well maybe the pain can be reduced.

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2005, 11:48 PM

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't an interesting subject. I was asking an honest to God question, because I wasn't sure. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass (for once).