PDA

View Full Version : Hard up?

46zilzal
07-20-2005, 09:26 PM
The Defense Department quietly asked Congress on Monday to raise the maximum age for military recruits to 42 for all branches of the service. Under current law, the maximum age to enlist in the active components is 35, while people up to age 39 may enlist in the reserves. By practice, the accepted age for recruits is 27 for the Air Force, 28 for the Marine Corps and 34 for the Navy and Army, although the Army Reserve and Navy Reserve sometimes take people up to age 39 in some specialties.

The Pentagon’s request to raise the maximum recruit age to 42 is part of what defense officials are calling a package of “urgent wartime support initiatives” sent to Congress Monday night prior to a Tuesday hearing of the House Armed Services military personnel subcommittee.

kenwoodallpromos
07-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Used to be 6 year commitments- they would get out at 48, so of course they are talking strictly about making sure they stay in until retirement- 42-62 20 years!
Bad idea.

Tom
07-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Also in the news this week, re-enlsits are making up for drop in new enlistments. Biggest numbers coming from combat zones.

Must be you to be tere to understand.

Just thought I'd throw out the other side your rather feeble attempt at once again spreading half truths.

Go take two aspirin and read a paper in the morning.

lsbets
07-21-2005, 10:07 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-17-soldiers-re-enlist_x.htm

"Soldiers are re-enlisting at rates ahead of the Army's targets, even as overall recruiting is suffering after two years of the Iraq war."

This is exactly what I saw as a company commander. Even before we got the big bonuses for reservists ($15,000 for 6 years), I reenlisted more soldiers than I ever had before. There seems to be a real disconnect between how those serving on the ground perceive things (if they thought things sucked more than normal, they wouldn't reenlist) and how things are reported on the homefront. Reenlistment is one of the best indicators of morale and pride in mission, and these numbers bode well for both.

blind squirrel
07-21-2005, 10:32 AM
they just called up my DENTIST for a tour in IRAQ{ARMY RESERVES],the
receptionist wanted me to change my appt.gee,i guess i better get "all"
my dental work done......

Bobby
07-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Whenever you raise the enlistment age to 42, your definitely hard up. No doubt about that. Im in my late 20s and I bet I could pass basic (physical conditioning anyway) but if I wuz in my 40s, Id definitely have the aches.
A move of desperation.

On morale -

Its low per Army Surgeon general. Suicides down though

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/07/20/military.health.ap/index.html

Bobby
07-21-2005, 10:54 AM

Rotten teeth . . . Low pay in army

Lefty
07-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I think that without a draft the number of enlistments is truly astounding and wonderful. I guess the word Patriotism does mean something to a lot of young americans.

kenwoodallpromos
07-21-2005, 12:42 PM
They keep saying here that there is no water or electricity in Iraq- can you comment here or in a new thread? Thanks!

lsbets
07-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Ken,

The short answer is - it depends. It depends on where you are. Most of the areas that have problems with water and electricity now have them because the insurgents specifically target relay stations and pumping stations. The 1st Cav did an amazing job in Baghdad repairing and rebuilding the infrastructure while I was there, and while there are an incredible amount of success stories, every project is a target for insurgents.

Tom
07-21-2005, 10:32 PM

Change what, the time or location of your appointment! :eek:

skate
07-22-2005, 11:51 AM
the move makes sense to me since a more tecnical type of service is called for here, rather than phyisical.

plus, overall we are in better shape and living longer.

the expense of training is already included, so keep what we have a little longer for added experience.

JustRalph
07-22-2005, 12:07 PM
plus, overall we are in better shape and living longer.

speak for yourself ;)

boxcar
07-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Bobby wrote:

Whenever you raise the enlistment age to 42, your definitely hard up. No doubt about that. Im in my late 20s and I bet I could pass basic (physical conditioning anyway) but if I wuz in my 40s, Id definitely have the aches.
A move of desperation.

Try exercising and changing your diet from processed foods to natural foods, so you won't have to look forward to having those "aches". Besides, haven't you heard: "Life begins at 40"?

Boxcar